“Disappointing this time”
Review of Smorgers

Smorgers
Ranked #25 of 158 Restaurants in St Austell
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: A ` Back to Bistro` relaxed bar and eatery. Great Cornish breakfasts, Local dishes by day and light bites and Tapas influences on `Feast evening` events
Reviewed October 19, 2013

Weekly Saturday lunch and decided to come here. We sttood at an empty dirty table and the waitress said she would come over to wipe it. I asked if she could wipe the seat as this was also covered in food. She did. We sat down and after a few minutes got given a menu and after a further few minutes asked if we were ready to order. We ordered two hot drinks and a glass of water. She noted this and went off. Five minutes later she returned asking if we were ready for food. We said yes and she took our order of Bacon Brie and cranberry toastie and butetrnut squash soup. She then asked if we would like drinks. We thought we ought to say what we were having as clearly she hadnt understood we wanted drinks previously. After ten minutes the hot drinks arrived and they were warm but not hot. We didnt receive any water. Twenty minutes later we received our food. I started to eat my side salad and the waitress came over and she said ' sorry i forgot the bacon in your sandwich. ' I said it was fine and that i hadnt started eating that yet. She went off. My mum started to eat her soup and could not eat it as it tasted like it had gone off. I tried it too and it was sour and vinegary, not sweet and tasty like you would expect. Anway, i ate my 'baconless' toastie and mum ate her bread, as the soup was inedible. We 'finished' the meal and went to pay. We explained about the soup and a different waitress at the till said 'sorry. I will speak to them in the kitchen. We wont charge for the bacon, just the brie.' We paid £14.50 for this. We were very disappointed with being charged for this and that the quality of food wasn't worth this amount. We live locally and find it difficult to find somewhere worth eating out in the town. Having been here before when I worked in the town I was really disappointed and let down with the food and the way we were dealt with. However, the girls waitressing were very sweet during the service despite all of this. I don't think I would recommend this place to friends or come here again ina hurry, unless I was desperately hungry!

Smorgers, Owner at Smorgers, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

Very sorry we did not meet our usual standards on this occasion, although I can assure you the soup was made that morning? Butternut squash and corn.. Cannot be any fresher! ??

Reviewed September 28, 2013

Just visited st Austell for first time and had the brunch at smorgers with a pot of tea for the two of us came to around £13. And I have to say that it was possibly the best brunch we have ever had. The presentation and the quality was excellent we both really enjoyed it. The staff were friendly but not over the top just how we like it and the atmosphere was nice and chilled out. Will definatley return to smorgers if we are in st Austell again!!!

Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

Think the title says it all, we went in a bit late for breakfast so decided to have the brunch instead, was all perfect couldn't fault anything.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

I've lived in St Austell for four years now and when I worked in the town, I always made a point of ordering delicious salads and sandwiches at least once a week from Smorgers when it was just a deli. They moved to the larger unit next door almost 12-month ago now and we've tried to visit often, however have not managed to visit during the evening; what a revelation!

The Tapas selection is excellent with something for everyone (including lots of vegetarian options). There are three ways of ordering, one is choosing plates individually from the menu, there are also three set menus for two people each. There is also a third option that is ideal for larger groups. This choice is £14.00 per head and the menu promised that they would "fill the table with food". We were not disappointed!

The drinks arrived with a very nice selection of nuts and another unusual dish called bread salad. Once finished, a plate of breads with oil and balsamic vinegar.
The mains then arrived and the table really was filled. Every dish was delicious. My favourite was the lamb tagine, but the chicken kebabs and chorizo stew were equally tasty.

The desserts were really great as well, really tasty and served with Roskilly's Ice Cream.

The service was very efficient and friendly with a lot of nice touches. Each dish was presented with care, good knowledge of ingredients and flavour.

Overall the evening was very pleasant. The food had a very high quality, home cooked flavour and attitude.

The only criticism is the decor of the restaurant and the lighting for an evening sitting. I spoke with the owner before we left and he has some great plans for the restaurant. I really hope that the town supports this place and that they get an opportunity to develop the business; it's a great asset for the town.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

Our party enjoyed delicious food with lots of variety and plentiful portions. Add to that tasty wine , friendly staff and excellent value for money. We are not local but visit St Austell from time to time and this is now one of our favourites. Don't be put off by the by the slightly bland surroundings - it is somewhere between cafe and restaurant but it is the food and service that win for me.