“Home again”

Dining options: Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“Home again”
Reviewed November 6, 2013

If you remember, I said, last time we ate at The White Pyramid, that we had left it far too long and as it’s just down the road, we’d be back soon. Well, just the other evening, we popped in for dinner on the way to see a band, over Mevagissey way.
We were quite early, about half past six and the place was packed. How good is that, these days? The reason is that if you order before half-six, there is a wide selection of items on the menu that qualify for their ‘Early Bird’ deal where the cheapest meal is free.
Fantastic for business and fantastic for the locals. If more pubs and restaurants did this, we’d be a nation of diners.
I want to get a couple of things out of the way before we go on: I see that some reviewers comment on the shabbiness of the thoroughfares between bar, restaurant and loos: They are right; sorry Pyramid but it is a bit of a mess out-back, and, yes, there can be a hint of haughtiness but it hasn’t put us off.
Enough – we still love it.

Elaine always looks right through the extensive menu; and has cod and chips. Every time. Wonderful flaky cod in a batter that is hard to beat. We’ve never asked but suspect the chips are cooked in proper beef dripping; they have that ultimate brown crispy outer with fluffy inner. I think that because they are not the all-too-common pale jobbies that we have sadly become accustomed too since the early ‘80’ that at least one reviewer thought they were not freshly cooked. I am of the opposite opinion: these are great chips.
The mushy peas at the Pyramid have more flavour than Port & Starboard’s.

I really fancied Chicken Tikka wraps. Think wraps and corner shop, supermarket, petrol station wraps in cardboard and plastic spring to mind. This country has some of the ultimate worst food I have come across anywhere on the planet. That said, I knew the wraps at The Pyramid would be good and cheffy. Well, what I got wasn’t exactly what I had anticipated but in a good way. I was looking forward to picking them up. I was looking forward to mauling some food. And I was looking forward to some curry-style heat.
Well, I was a little bit disappointed to find the wraps were too loose to grope and grapple with but the disappointment melted away when I tasted them. Big surprise. Not what I would strictly call Tikka, although the soft, moist chunks of chicken breast had been marinated and baked. This was better. A salsa chutney marriage, acid and sweet, tangy and smooth with fresh, fruity chilli heat from real slices that you can choose to eat or not, depending on how hot you like it. Total heaven. I think it should be re-named, because Tikka Chicken Wrap doesn’t go anywhere near doing it justice. This is a genius dish. Nirvana Chicken would be more like it.

As the Early Bird diners drifted out, the atmosphere changed gear from buzzing dining room to intimate, warm, country pub. After our meal, we could have sat there for longer with a good ale but heigh-ho; on we went to our evening’s engagement. When we got to our destination, The Ship Inn in Pentewan, they were holding a curry night and very successful it looked too. Watch this space.

1 Thank ChrisPanks

Bridgwater, United Kingdom
“Delightful breakfast and friendly staff”
Reviewed October 28, 2013

The room was clean and roomy. Got the usual things you need. The breakfast was very nice. Overall worth the money.

Cornwall
“Disappointed”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

We visited here for my mums 50th birthday. We have eaten here before and the food was delicious. However on Sunday evening the food was not up to their normal standard. Chips tasted like they had been cooked yesterday and then microwaved for our meals. The steaks were tasteless. Really felt let downwith the food and will not visit again.
However it was nice to have the table decorated by the staff.

Emsworth, United Kingdom
“Great value - Good food”
Reviewed October 6, 2013

We were taken here for lunch while visiting Cornwall. What a good meal, served by courteous staff and such great value. I can see why our friends visit regularly!

Willunga, Australia
“Pretty good for a country pub”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

First visit. Recommended by friends for their early birds meals which are really 2 for 1 if ordered before 6.30. Didn't find anything to tempt us on that menu so went for the restaurant menu. Chicken stuffed with ham and stilton was my choice with new potatoes and veg and hard to find fault with that. Veggies were cooked perfectly and the sauce was excellent. Probably the chicken breast was a tad dry but that is being picky. Husband had cod but found it had too much batter and chips were over cooked. His mushy peas were fine. The service was excellent and the overall price for drinks - 2 large pinot grigios and pint and a half plus food was pretty reasonable - under £40. Would recommend it for a decent meal at an affordable price.

• Visited September 2013