“Great Service,Food and Stunning Views”
Review of The Carlyon Bay

The Carlyon Bay
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in St Austell
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Stayed only for one night but it was excellent. It starts even before you enter with porter to help with bags, fast check in offer of booking for dinner and then straight to the room On the way noticed that they have redecorated the corridors and it looks really smart and very clean. Sea facing view rooms look over small putting green and grass area doubling as a helicopter pad.

I used the SPA facilities, there is a small gym but a super pool sauna and steam room they also do various spa treatments and again really clean and tidy.

A number of large parties were gettting ready for dinner but I was still able to find a quiet location to get on with what I wanted to do and the offer of a few nibbles with a G&T a A la carte menue or Table d'hote - chose the latter as was on DBB.

Going through to dinner order taken promptly and a really nice selection of breads and a little taster. Start came quickly and they had ensured that the had enough staff and supevisos to ensure a really quality service. The food was excellent, just the right amount and came on hot plates and well presented superb vegtables crunchy and a great selection although my preference would be for no salt ! Desert followed really tasty and just the right amount followed by coffee in the Lounge - throughout the evening the service was excellent and a credit to the owners.

Really good nights sleep the room was clean, tidy and the bath/shower was clean with great attention to cleanliness.

Breakfast was of the same order with plenty on offer and you could chose from a selection of buffet items but could still order from a waiter if you wanted to take a little more time and have a leisurely breakfast. I was extremely impressed when I was asked if I wanted to book dinner for the next evening - sadley only one night and I could quite easily have thrown caution to the wind and said yes as I had enjoyed my short stay so much ! Check out was smooth with all items prepared with a farewell and safe journey hoped for me.

I really think this must be the best serviced I have had this year so well done to the hotel and I will definately be back - I might even take up the free round of golf avilable to each resident (not that I am any good)

Room Tip: Always chose a sea facing room you wont regreat it
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,643)

Reviewed November 16, 2012

We stayed at The Carlyon Bay Hotel for one night and so wished it could be for longer. This traditional hotel offers excellent service throughout. From the polite reception staff, friendly lounge bar staff and excellent service in the main restaurant. Our well appointed sea view room had quality bedding and pillows. We ate dinner in the main restaurant, the service was attentive. A good wine list accompanied an excellent meal. Coffee was enjoyed in the lounge bar where live music added to the atmosphere without being too loud. We retired to our room quite early but a dance floor was available. If you are looking for good service, good food and good views we would certainly recommend.

Room Tip: Well worth paying for a sea view room
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 14, 2012

We used the Carlyon Bay Hotel for a short winter break and we were very impressed! The staff is helpful and attentive, the rooms spotless and welcoming. Beautiful dining rooms and everything is maintained to a very high standard. The food was very good and we were looking forward to our 4-course meal every night! The views from the hotel and the grounds are spectacular. The beach area a few minutes from the hotel is still under construction, not very attractive at the moment and access is difficult.
We used the golf course (included in the price) wich was in excellent condition and a joy to play.
We will be back!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 12, 2012

I first visited this hotel in September to use the Spa for the day and thought it was excellent, so I was excited to have the chance to stay a night in the hotel when in the area for business.
Customer service is this hotel's strength and it is a very traditional hotel; doormen in top hat and tails and a pianist in the hotel bar. In my opinion, this hotel has the feel of a cruise ship; clean, polished (literally), lots of staff, very good customer attention, different theme/style areas...and so naturally this tends to attract cruise ship style customers; mostly older or retired, non European tourists, relatively wealth etc. The hotel also has a golf course which also attracts similar guests. Don't let that put you off though (if you don't fall into one of those categories), as it is certainly a more modern cruise ship, with older/traditional habits that everyone can appreciate, such as high customer services.
The building is art deco and, positioned at the top of a cliff, could easily have become 'tired' looking over the years but it is well maintained and clean and fresh looking inside.
It has several restaurants (5 I think) within the hotel, from traditional (men must wear suits) to a very contemporary restaurant called Taste. The desserts were excellent (£8:50) but my main meal was slightly disappointing (£14:50). They were adaptable and catered for my specific dietary requirements on demand which I appreciated.
I was in a single bed sea facing room, which suited my budget and reason to visit, but I think they could have offered a free or reduced price upgraded room to me as the hotel was only 1/3rd full (a Sunday night in November). The room had everything I needed and in the early evening a friendly member of staff handed out a chocolate mint and to turn down the beds. I found fellow guests very loud in the corridors after 10:30pm; returning from the restaurants and generally being inconsiderate in terms of their volume. These were not groups on a stag/hen party but people over 60 talking about their meal and their round of golf. The hotel room was a good temperature without the need for noisy fans or remote control airconditioning units that often don't work! I appreciated this.
The Spa is a must! Inside, it has a large (for a hotel) swimming pool, jacuzzi, steam and sauna, and sun loungers and outside, there is a heated swimming pool, sun loungers, tennis and lawn croquet. It was incredibly clean and very well maintained and modern. Even if you don't stay in this hotel, the spa is worth a visit.

Room Tip: A room in the centre of the hotel will give the best sea views, but be careful of the noise of passi...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 12, 2012

This was a birthday weekend visit, our first, but will not be the last. On arrival we were greeted by the concierge and the experience started. The warm welcome continued through every member of staff we met. They were very attentive but not intrusive. A clean well presented hotel, good food and entertainment. Top management were always to be seen which is reflected in the high standards the hotel maintains. Look forward to returning.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We last visited the CB 9 years ago and were nervous that it might have declined in the intervening years. we need not have worried. The hotel is immaculate and very well maintained, everything shines and is beautifully decorated. In seaside locations old buildings can very quickly look unloved, The Carlyon Bay has maintained the highest standards.

We had a sea view room for 4, with our children in bunk beds. This was cosy but fine. The bathroom was lovely and towels supplied for all of us. first evening meal in the Brasserie with a good menu. formal dining on night two which had more atmosphere. as it was half term it was nice that there was a good range of ages, not just more elderly Enjoying the golf.

we played on the par3 9 hole which is very informal and walked to Charlestown along the coast which was a super trip out. Rigged tall ships, ship wreck museum and good choice of cafes.

Room Tip: Worth choosing a sea view as the hotel is right on the coastal path.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Attended our friends wedding last weekend - great venue, four star rated and warrants it. On arrival a liveried door man will greet you and take your bags. Great views from sea view side of hotel which has access direct to the South West coastal path. The room we had was well furnished but small, the en-suite bathroom door opened into the bathroom only so far as the toilet bowl and was awkward to get around.The quality of the fittings and the cleanliness were very good. The comfortable bed was turned down each evening and there was a "good night" chocolate on each pillow -nice touch. The reception rooms are well furnished and relaxingly spacious. There is spa - a pool/jacuzzi, stone beds and a sauna and a range of treatments from the beauty therapist. If you like golf there is a small course at the club attached to the hotel. Most of the staff are responsive to requests and one in particular is exceptional in her quiet service - Kathi is a waitress who anticipates your need and is there when you want something. I had this from a couple of other guests who without prompting told me and other guests how impressed they are with her. I and others had already enjoyed the same experience. Well done Kathi - other staff would respond to a request and gave good service but didn't anticipate our needs like a pot of tea or toast at breakfast. This is a comfortable well run hotel and did our friends proud on their big day and apart from late night/early morning revellers returning to their rooms on our floor was quiet and provided a good rest.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room - faces south and overlooks the English Channel with views along the coast.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
#3 of 3 in Fowey
Fowey Hall
Fowey Hall
#2 of 3 in Fowey

Been to The Carlyon Bay? Share your experiences!