The Carlyon Bay
The White Hart(St Austell)
$155
$122
No availability for your dates from our partners
No availability for your dates from our partners
1,687 results
All reviewsgolf coursebrend hotelsgolf clubgolf breakbrend groupround of golfsea viewmain restaurantindoor and outdoor poolspitch and puttthe clifflounge barlovely hotelwine listtennis courtsevening entertainmentdeluxe room
Reviewed November 1, 2011

Came here on business expecting the worst - 'grand' seaside hotel with pretensions let down by terrible service, worse food and outrageous prices. In fact I couldn't fault this place at all.
Staff knowledgeable and attentive. I arrived at dusk and asked about local jogging trails. The receptionist turned out to be a keen runner and pointed out an excellent route. For dinner eat at the brasserie not the main restaurant - far less formal and I liked the look of the menu better. Steak, fish soup - all excellent. My spotless, quiet room had a sea view and everything anyone would need.

Room Tip: Ask for sea view
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed November 1, 2011

A small group (8 couples) stayed in October 2011 for a 2 night golfing break. We all received a warm welcome from reception, and this extended throughout the whole hotel. Our room was slightly on the small side, but had a magnificent view of the bay. Taller guests may find the beds rather short in length but very comfortable. Decor immaculate.
Everyone found the food to be excellent, plenty of choice and good service throughout. After dinner coffee was laid out for us in a specially reserved area of the bar, with a barman in constant attendance.
The golf course is challenging, but well worth it for the views from the cliff tops and in very good condition. We made very good use of the chip and putt 9 hole course adjoining the hotel, with hilarious results. Several of us used the pool and spa facilities.
We all considered the 2 night golf break to be of very good value for a hotel with such high standards, and we will be back (if they will have us!).

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 31, 2011

Me and my partner decided to stay here for one night we travelled down early morning check in was not until 2pm the hotel itself is nice looking smart and clean.. We paid a lot of money for this one room thought it would of been bigger and more appealing I have stayed in a lot of rooms for a fraction of the price which have been better. You will need a car if u stay here. The food was very expensive over all I wouldn't stay here again it is a nice place just not worth the money.

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank jasminenikita
Reviewed October 31, 2011

My husband and I, along with his parents stayed at the Carlyon Bay hotel from Friday 28th October until Sunday 30th. My in-laws, having stayed here before, couldn't wait to get back there and to take us with them. I have to say, the hotel exceeded our expectations. My in-laws have immaculate taste and so I knew we were going to have a fantastic weekend upon us but it was a truly amazing experience.

Firstly, the reception staff were more than welcoming and very kindly upgraded us both to sea-view rooms as we were celebrating my husbands 28th birthday. We stayed in rooms 103 and 121 (I always believe it is important to give the room numbers, especially as they were such lovely rooms). Our room (103) over-looked the sea, golf course, tennis courts and outdoor pool. The room was incredibly clean - literally spotless, and was maintained for the duration of our stay to the same standard in which we found it.

The head concierge, John was lovely - he even remembered my in-laws and was very helpful in providing us with maps of the local area and even guidance for our Coastal Walk from Par to Fowey (highly recommended also - it's a good 7 miler across the coast and well worth the up-hill climb!).

I feel as though i'm bouncing around a bit with little way to link my review so apologies!

The main restaurant is splendid, exceptional food with welcoming and attentive staff - I would make a point here for the guys to bring a smart pair of trousers as the dress-code is "Formal" - smart jeans are NOT accepted here and they are strict on chinos, but it's nothing that a quick trip to the local shopping centre couldn't solve! At the end of the day you have to respect the hotel's dress code. Included in our cost was breakfast and dinner and it is worth every penny. There have been a number of comments about it being "pricey" - maybe it's because we're from London and are over-charged for everything but we thought this to be very reasonable indeed, especially for a 4-course meal (and a good bottle of red will set you back roughly £20). The staff were even kind enough to hold our bottle until the following evening.

Breakfast is served until 10am in the main restaurant and is very well prepared - nothing like fresh local eggs and a good cup of coffee to start the day.

We visited the spa on a number of occasions and the staff were more than helpful in arranging appointments for us - they even re-arranged my mother-in-laws massage as they were not happy with the level of noise coming from a nearby building (which we couldn't hear from the hotel but it was close to the massage room) - which we thought was incredibly thoughtful of them. The facilities in the spa area (jacuzzi, pool, steam room and sauna) were very clean and well maintained and provides a very relaxing environment. Children are more than welcome and I have to admit, I quite enjoyed watching the swimming races between the parents and their kids!

The "Taste" Brasserie is exquisite and I was sad to hear that they will be closing this until the New Year - the atmosphere in the Brasserie, for us, far out-weighed that of the main restaurant; it was much more intimate and having music to listen to also gave it a nicer feel - you are able to have the menu from the restaurant in the brasserie as well so that is worth remembering. You can also wear jeans and for the men this made them feel more comfortable than wearing formal wear as they did the evening before.

Overall - it's a splendid hotel that I have been raving about to friends and family ever since we returned and we can't wait to visit again next year!

Thank you all again for making our stay a perfect one and for giving my husband a 28th birthday to remember.

Nicola, Joshua, Sharon & Steve Phillips
London, UK

Room Tip: Pay the extra and get a sea-facing room - panoramic views of the ocean is a must.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MrsP1984
Reviewed October 30, 2011

Beautifully clean and well maintained hotel, room had lovely large bed with wonderful sea views, perhaps slightly on the small side for the price paid, but had everything we needed. We chose to take breakfast and a couple of evening meals in the room and there was a good choice of tasty food well cooked and presented. Staff were friendly and very helpful, we found the evening entertainment a bit loud as our room was directly over the bar area, but it finished by 11 p.m and so wasn't a problem. Sadly we didn't get chance to try either the spa or golf but both looked excellent.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple