All reviewshot tubelizabeth roomred letteron arrivaleden projectindoor poolfree upgradecold buffetcoffee and cakescallopslounge arealovely poolrelaxing stayspa treatmentscooked breakfaststayed longerlovely touch
Reviewed November 22, 2017

Having booked this hotel for New Years eve I emailed regarding dining with them. Having not had a reply 12 days later I sent another email. I did get a reply to this (the same day) saying that there was a table available and requesting the time we wished to eat - this was immediately responded to.
3 weeks later with the holidays now only 5 weeks away I receive an email stating that New Years Eve menu was:-
Our New Years dinner is a tasting menu. With a matching wine flight.

Canapés and Champagne reception at 8.00pm.

Priced at £95.00 per person.

Apart from the delays in responding I think it was misleading that this was not in original email regarding booking a table.
This all gives the impression of a lack of organisation boding badly for an enjoyable stay and as such we cancelled our booking.

• Stayed: October 2017, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Eileen L
Reviewed November 10, 2017 via mobile

Lovely manor, our room was Joanne, right by the indoor swimming pool. That was great to go down to in morning for swim. Room clean and tidy. Shower not good, poor power. The breakfast was disappointing, poor egg with oil still all over it. The restaurant was closed for the 2 days we were there. This was not a problem as we food a great pub restaurant, the britannia. This place was lovely we great food and service.

Stayed: November 2017, traveled as a couple
1  Thank iandebdavies
Reviewed November 8, 2017

I agree with previous comments that initially the hotel is beautiful, that the welcome is warm & friendly but after that it all changes.
Our room, Scarlet, was dark & a little dated, with a fridge, tea & coffee making facilities in a cupboard which was damp smelling, The bathroom was small & cramped with a very tired shower cubical.
The main bed was very comfortable but the son bed my 2 sons had to sleep on was a disgrace. The mattress was only as thick as a 50p coin by 10am my sons could not sleep and I had to call reception to get assistance with the issue. I was offered that my 8 year & 5 year old could sleep in another room down the corridor . They are far to young for this . Or they could all get into bed with me !! If as parents you've ever shared a bed with a child it like sleeping with a wiggling, arms throwing ninja.. As this was a treat from my husband for having worked 1 week of nightshifts I could have cried... I then offer a suggestion of getting a secondary mattress for the sofa bed. This arrived promptly, another 50p thick mattress, was plopped on the bed & the member of staff was about to leave when I asked if she was going to put a sheet on the mattress ? I eventually helped putting it on to get the job done and had to put it over the two mattresses so they did not slid apart in the night..
Breakfast was also a let down with adult only selection of cereals, no croissants or pastries, fruit was soggy. When we eventually got served the children did enjoy there english breakfast but my eggs benidict was one slice of paper thin muffin (not a full muffin) 1 egg, ham and what tasted like jar sauce ...
I had asked the night shift staff if they could hand over about the mattress as I did not want too discuss this at check out in front of all the breakfast guest but alas it was not done. After a loud telephone conversation with the manager that all of downstairs heard I got £40 knocked of my bill. This was not worth over £200 a night, the only plus is the pool.
O and one last think don't expect to get a meal or room service in the hotel on a Tuesday which wasn't mentioned when we booked...
So very disappointed, was a waste of money..

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed: October 2017, traveled with family
2  Thank Weegie75
Reviewed October 24, 2017

Stayed in Sep and from arrival to departure found the experience to be very stress free. The hotel is surrounded by trees which creates a nice peaceful outlook but is still central and ideal for many local attractions. We dined on our first night and had scallops and croquettes (my fav!) to start and then beef and pork belly all dishes showing attention to detail , did not get to use indoor pool or hottub but lounge and bar all nicely furnished. Staff finished off the experience all show passion for what they do. Will go back next time in area !

Stayed: September 2017, traveled as a couple
1  Thank J J
Reviewed October 9, 2017 via mobile

Initially this hotel is beautiful, we had a warm welcome by the lady on reception. However upon spending a little time here it really isn't worth spending over £500 for 2 nights. The public areas are beautiful, very clean and lovely furnishings. The bedroom looked luxurious on first impressions but then the damp/musty smell kicked in. The bathroom needed lots of attention. Wobbly toilet seat, mouldy walls and ceilings and temperamental shower. The built in wardrobe also had mould in. Our room had double doors that opened out into our own private garden area, the doors were mouldy and the net curtains were mouldy/dirty. One of the bedside lamps was held together with expanding foam, and the hook that held the Austrian blind cord in place was wobbly.

We had a full body massage which was relaxing, although the therapist was a little too chatty. If having a mani or pedi chit chat is fine, but when trying to unwind and relax you don't really need to hear about her rescue dog, boyfriends car and what she's buying the in-laws for Christmas!

The bedroom picnic was not worth the money. We ordered it to arrive between 7:30pm and 8:00pm. At 8:10pm my partner called reception to see when we would be receiving it. To be told that it was just coming and that they were very busy tonight. We then waited a further 5-10 minutes for something that was 'already on it's way' the waiter/receptionist bought in our bedroom picnic with candle and asked if we would like the candle lit. He then didn't have a lighter and advised he would be straight back. 10 minutes later we were still waiting, my partner called reception again. We had been forgotten about. We also asked if he could bring some butter as we had a basket full of bread and no butter. This arrived straight out of the fridge and unspreadable. There just wasn't enough food for the both of us. Too much for 1 but not enough for 2. We also had brownie with clotted cream and berries. One small piece of brownie for 2 people. £19pp is pretty disgusting. And the service was very poor on this occasion.

We wanted to relax by the pool/spa area on Saturday afternoon, but a hen party of 12 had taken over. We spent a little time in the pool that was freezing! Then went in the spa. When we had finished and wanted to leave as the hen party were using the 4 loungers, there were no towels, staff don't seem to keep an eye on replenishing things. So we had to put our robes on dripping wet and squelch back to our room. Upon returning to our room the phone was ringing, my partner answered and we were told we had to pre order our meals as they were busy this evening. The menu was a small set menu and coming from a catering and hospitality background myself to ask a table of 2 to pre order, there really is no need for.

The evening meal was delicious but service not so great. The waitress even apologised with words to the effect of sorry we have neglected you, we've got a hen do in tonight. Suggesting that a hen do is more important than us.

Lastly, breakfast was inconsistent, I had 'eggs' benedict on the first morning (one egg and half a muffin) my partner had a full English. Tasty and well presented. But one egg? And half a muffin? On the second morning I had a full English. Only quarter of a slice of fried bread, when my partner the day before had half a slice, and no hash brown on my breakfast.

I have left feeling my birthday weekend has been tarnished by a damp smelling tired room and overshadowed by a hen do that seemed more important to the hotel than us.

Your money is taken before you are asked how your stay was. I feel this is very sly. There was a form to fill in about our stay, I wonder if anything will be done about all of the faults we had to spend over £500 finding out about.

Stayed: October 2017, traveled as a couple