“Always Relaxing”

Boscundle Manor Hotel Restaurant and Spa
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in St Austell
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Being local, I come here frequently with my daughter or friends, usually for the 'Twilight' package, but my daughter and I also stay here sometimes on late availability or special offers. (We only live 5 mins away, but that's how special Boscundle is!)

Everything about this place is relaxing: It's a beautiful old house, classically and tastefully decorated. (Some rooms are due an update though!) We usually stay in the Emily room as this can be made up as a twin and is very pretty, with a lovely bathroom.

The 'spa' area is very small (only one treatment room) but the lovely friendly therapists and good range of treatments mean it operates efficiently. The pool is lovely, again 'intimate' but the highlight for me is that it has always been lovely and quiet in the 10+ times we've visited. The hot tub is great too, located to enjoy the stunning gardens, without compromising privacy.

The food is the biggest draw: Dining at Boscundle is a perenially wonderful experience with something for all tastes and always cooked to perfection. The 'trio of chocolate' dessert is in my top five desserts ever (and I eat a LOT of desserts :) ) Breakfast is excellent value too - an excellent range of options.

My only complaint is that there is no permanent loyalty scheme in operation. I would definitely join if there were.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed August 2, 2013

We had a two night stay at Boscundle Manor. Very welcoming staff who showed us several rooms so we could choose. We stayed in 'Charlotte' which was a small lodge/annexe in the gardens. The room was nice,however, there was a distinct musty/ damp smell. The breakfast was amazing, good selection, very tasty. We ate in the restaurant on the first night, it was pricey but nice. The staff were really polite and friendly ( an asset to the hotel ). Overall we had a lovely stay and I would recommend to friends.

Reviewed August 1, 2013

We were visiting the Eden project so stayed here for one night, ideal location and easy to find. I was immensely impressed after pulling into the forecourt and walking to reception, absolutely beautiful and to a high standard. Unfortunately the room didnt quite match.

We stayed in the Joanna suite which i chose as it had a private patio. The bedroom was nice as too was the patio (though it could do with a patio heater as it was quite chilly at night). The bit that let it down for me was the bathroom. It was small, quite dated and had a shabby old carpet on the floor which had toothpaste stains near the sink.

Apart from that, a fully enjoyable stay with room service breakfast (£5 suppliment). Would stay here again but perhaps try a different room, and bring my swimming shorts next time as the pool looked really nice and a hot tub too!

Room Tip: Joanna room was at the back of the hotel, and up a couple of flights of stairs.
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Stayed in the Beatrix Cottage room in June. This room is not in the main house and is not easy to get to! We decided to drive up to the room to drop off our luggage, however, this was a big mistake. The road up to the cottages is extremely poor (narrow and very steep). On entering the room we were greeted by a musty smell. The cottage was a good size (bedroom, separate sitting room and bathroom), however, it certainly needs updating. The grounds are also in a sorry state of repair. The worst aspect of our stay was the cleanliness of the room - hairs in the bathroom and on the bedspread - not good! The hot chocolate provided went out of date in March - this put us off using the tea/coffee making facilities. This is real shame as the staff are very friendly, the main house is nicely kept and decorated. There was a fantastic selection of magazines and it was very nice to receive tea and cake on arrival. However, the best aspect of our stay was the evening meal. The food was lovely. The location is also very good for the Eden Project and exploring Cornwall. Overall an expensive stay for the room we had.

Room Tip: Ensure you stay in the main house
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 27, 2013

I attended my son's wedding at Boscundle Manor on Thursday 25th. July. The manor is reasonably secluded and quite nice, I did, however, feel that it was somewhat cramped for seating fifty people in the dining room especially on a hot day with no fans. As for the service provided - which as far as I am aware was supposed to be "the personal touch," - I thought that it was poor, in particular expecting the bride and bridesmaids to pack up and clear all their belongings from the room in which they had stayed the previous night before they had even eaten was disgusting. Even the food was brought out in dribs and drabs as if they didn't want you to eat too much of it, in fact when my husband went back to get something else to eat most of the food had been cleared away without even asking everyone if they wanted anything else before clearing it. I would expect far better service for what they are charging, rip off!! I certainly wouldn't recommend this venue to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
8  Thank shelldrake105
Reviewed July 24, 2013

We stayed in Boscundle Manor the night before visiting the Eden Project (which is a few minutes drive away) and stayed in the Beatrix Cottage in the grounds of the manor. Boscundle was a luxury paradise for us - we were looking to relax and we certainly did! Our room had a whirlpool bath and a separate lounge area to relax in, the bed was extremely comfortable, and robes and flip flops were provided for the short stroll over to the pool house and hot tub which we thoroughly enjoyed! Staff were attentive, friendly and very welcoming and breakfast was very good and just what we were after. We will certainly stay here again next time we are in the area - highly recommended!

1  Thank von-balthazar
Reviewed July 19, 2013

We stayed here before a couple of years ago (before I started using tripadvisor) and have been pleased to revisit again. As luck would have it, the Manor had an email deal that linked with a business trip to the area.

Happy to tag along my partner and I spent a great time, that was excellent value and exceptional quality. We stayed in Elizabeth, the room was comfortable and in very good order. Having our own patio and being close to the pool/hot-tub was a bonus.

We ate both nights, we like fine dining and have eaten at some 'starred' locations. The food and service is an exceptional standard and in our experience 'priced just right'.

It may be a couple of years, but we will return.

Room Tip: All the rooms are excellent, they do differ, so check what each room comes with.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
The Fowey Hotel
#3 of 3 in Fowey
5 mi away
The Old Quay House Hotel

Been to Boscundle Manor Hotel Restaurant and Spa? Share your experiences!