Langdale House
The White Hart(St Austell)
$155
The Carlyon Bay(St Austell)
$177
Travelodge
  • Restaurant
No availability for your dates from our partners
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsgold roomvalley viewhost chriseden projectfull length mirrorcomfortable bedexcellent breakfasttea and coffee facilitiesshower cubiclecomplimentary toiletriesstorage spacethe en suite bathroomvery nice staywi filovely bathroomgreat place to stayshort break
Reviewed August 26, 2013

would recommend to anybody, nicely furnished, clean, comfortable, excellent host, good breakfast. we visited under difficult circumstances and the understanding shown was lovely. we have been lucky enough to have travelled extensively and stayed at some beautiful hotels all around the world and I have to say was doubtful about staying in a b&b, how wrong I was, twas lovely me ansoms give it a try, you wont be disapointed.

Room Tip: we had 2 rooms during our stay. go for "valley View" bigger bedroom but smaller en suite.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 25, 2013

We made a last minute booking for an overnight stay after deciding to visit the Eden project. Not only was it exactly what we wanted (clean, comfortable, reasonably priced and close to Eden), but was also a nice surprise. We were welcomed by Chris, who is a friendly and helpful host and our room was lovely.

We were able to walk to the town for dinner and lots of information given on both the pub owned by Chris’s partner (excellent steak and huge portions!), but also other places to eat and visit. The full Cornish breakfast was delicious and certainly set us up for the day!

We had a really comfortable stay and will stay again next time we are visiting the area.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 23, 2013

My wife and I enjoyed two nights here while we were travelling through Cornwall, and Langdale House is in an easy location to find, just off the A390. We were greeted by Chris, who offered us lots of welcome advice about where to go around St Austell, and he was a friendly and amiable host throughout our stay.

We stayed in the 'Valley View' room, which, as the name suggests, offers a stunning view of the valley beyond. The room was very spacious, with a large window ensuring the room gets maximum sunlight. The bathroom was excellent and well above the standard we'd expect, with a large walk in shower which has to be seen to be believed. Most impressive were the small details which are usually neglected like having a bottle of water next to the bed, big-sized cups for a proper cup of tea, a big HDTV, fast internet, a range of luxury toiletries... You get the idea!

The breakfast was also excellent, with a choice of a full English or smoked salmon - as well as the usual cereals, toast etc. I tried both breakfasts, and they were both very impressive with the smoked salmon a particular highlight.

There aren't really any reasons we can think of not to stay at Langdale House, and if I were to stay in St Austell again I'd definitely stay here. Due to the proximity to the main road and the fact that the windows are open in the summer heat the noise of the traffic can be quite loud at night, but to anyone used to living in a town or city this is to be expected. All in all, one of the cleanest, most homely (without feeling intrusive) B&Bs we've ever stayed in, and one that is wholeheartedly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Chris is a great host. Warm and welcoming but not encroaching on your privacy. There was no problem with a late breakfast and checkout and Chris even kindly gave us a lift to the station. The room was clean and comfy. The road is busy but not that noisy. A lovely stay.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank admicjo
Reviewed July 20, 2013

On August 12, 2013, we stayed at the Langdale House in the "Valleyview" room after reading the reviews here on Trip Advisor. When we arrived, we were "greeted" by an envelope posted on the door, addressed to us. Within it, was a note from the owner saying he was sorry that he wasn't there to greet us, but to call him for a security code to get a key to enter the house. There wasn't any explanation from him to why he wasn't there to let us in. We tried phoning him, but he didn't answer. We also left a message and we never got any kind of response. Also on the note was his partner's number, which we also called. We asked for her, but instead, got a member of staff from the pub she owned, so we didn't speak directly to anyone responsible for the B & B. After relaying the message from us to her, the member of staff gave us the security code needed to open up the lock box. We could have been anyone, so anyone could have had our room and I didn't appreciate our names being posted on an outside door for all to see. The room itself was as advertised and lovely, but it was a very hot day, and after reading the reviews and knowing it would be noisy with the windows opened, we went there thinking we could ask for a fan, but because there was nobody around, we couldn't, so we had a disturbed night. In the morning, we went down to breakfast. The lady that was there, served us promptly, and the food was ok but, she never checked on us after that to see if we were ok or needed anything. It would have been appreciated if she had asked us if we wanted anymore juice or toast. Overall we were sadly disappointed with the lack or absence of a welcome, service or even a farewell! As such, we will not be staying there again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Diana T
Chris W, Owner at Langdale House, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Dear Diana T

No mystery. I was taking some other guests of Langdale House sailing from Fowey and I stayed overnight. However, your Review is fair. I took my eye off the ball for a day and I apologise. By way of compensation I would be happy to invite you to stay again on FOC basis the next time you are in Cornwall and will ensure that I am available for proper hosting which according to the other reviews it seems I do well. Again, Diana, with my apology, Chris