“Brilliant Restaurant”

The Waterwheel Restaurant
Ranked #24 of 152 Restaurants in St Austell
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Waterwheel Inn was built in the late 1700s. It is steeped in the industrial history of Cornwall as it was once a tin smelting house and then involved in clay drying. It is set in a beautiful wooded valley next to St Austell's White River and just 10 minutes walk from the town. The restaurant is elegant but informal with exposed granite walls, oak floor and a log fire for cold winter evenings. We serve unpretentious, plentiful, freshly prepared meals including a 2 and 3 course menu for £14.95/£17.50, main meals from £10.95 and an a la carte menu with fresh local fish and seafood specials, plus extra mature chargrilled steaks.
Reviewed July 17, 2012

mMy mate and I stayed here for two nights whilst fishing at a nearby Trout lakes. The rooms were very comfortable and the service was polite and attentive. The restaurant food was very good and with a very extensive choice of specials made up for the poor fishing

There are newer reviews for The Waterwheel Restaurant

Reviewed June 17, 2012

average food but mine host was good and has a bit of work to get it right. the nightor restaurant was far better

Reviewed May 12, 2012

This is a little Gem, has been in new hands for a year and is exceptional.
The Welcome and food are excellent, a well run and clean establishment.
Had three meals there and they surpassed each time.
The breakfast is excellent. cannot fault anything. well done.

1  Thank Garry F
Reviewed May 1, 2012

We booked this restaurant whilst holidaying just up the road. It was a birthday meal for myself and my husband. We read the reveiws before booking and decided to take a chance. When we arrived there was not sign to tell you where to go in. As you go in you go downstairs to the bar and restaurant. Unfortunately, it looked like plasterers and builders had been traipsing down the dark blue carpet, leaving it very mucky. Not a good impression. Once in the bar the welcome was Ok but could have been better. We were shown to an empty dining room. This was very well decorated and looked really nice. My husband ordered the crab cakes and I ordered the scallops. For Crab cakes read crab cake. It came up and was verging on being burnt. However it tasted OK. My scallops were really nice and well cooked. I ordered the fillet steak, medium rare and it came up well done. Had to send it back. My husband had the plaice which was really well cooked. There was only a total of 6 people eating, so not sure how they would cope if they were full. The chef did come out and apologise for the steak and he looked very young, so maybe not very experienced. We also got a free glass of wine as an apology. All in all I would not go back there again and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, which is a shame as they could have done so much better

1  Thank Karen P
Reviewed April 24, 2012

We stayed at the Waterwheel accommodation for 4 nights and only ventured elsewhere on one night - which was a mistake. Their à la carte menu combined with their specials for the night left nothing wanting. I had the duck breast on 2 nights which was as good as anything I have had in France (where we live). The Lemon sole was fresh and delicious, the starters (especially the whitebait and the scallops on a bed of peas) were excellent. Unlike many other places, the desserts were also home made and to the same standard as the rest of the meal - I especially recommend the Treacle tart and the cheesecake. Their wine list is brief but well chosen and good value.
In addition, the whole experience was warm and friendly without being either pushy or falsely friendly (as we experienced elsewhere), and the cosy atmosphere in the dining room made for a lovely 3 evenings. We were mildly disappointed by the speed of service on the first night until we discovered that they were missing a staff member who was on holiday, which just increased our admiration for them.
Well recommended and we will certainly return here.