“Lovely food and brilliant service.”

Kingswood Bar & Restaurant
Ranked #6 of 152 Restaurants in St Austell
Cuisines: European
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: An informal bistro style dining experience on the outskirts of St austell, serving amazingly fresh local fish & shell fish, meltingly tender Cornish steaks and interesting European dishes. We look forward to welcoming you...
Reviewed July 31, 2012

Part of a large party for a birthday meal, we all thought the food was amazing, the only exception was my partner's starter, he had scallops and there were only four which were very rubbery. We both had slow cooked beef for main which was absolutely fantastic, as were the desserts, and the service was great. Would definitely recommend!

Reviewed July 31, 2012

Having read the rave reviews, we forsook the restaurant we know (Austell's) and chose the Kingswood for our wedding anniversary dinner. What a disappointment ...

It is a lovely setting (we knew it back in the days of John & Kate).
We ordered aperitifs - a Pernod and a Kir. The waitress did not appear to recognise either of them. She came back to ask whether water was required with the Pernod - we asked for a small jug, but it was served pre-mixed. She came back twice to ask how to make the Kir - when it arrived it was brown. What would a French visitor make of that???
When asked to move to our table, we had to carry our own drinks.

The menu was similar to Austell's in choice and price. But the quality most definitely was not. Nor were the portions similar in size. I had the lamb (tender, but far too much of it!), my husband had fish which was just right in size, tasted very nice ... but was swimming in so much sauce that it swamped the plate.

The wine list was pricy. We chose the house red - indifferent.

Being our anniversary, we had taken a taxi and I was looking forward to a relaxed enjoyable meal. Once again, I was disappointed by an English restaurant. Why can't we do food like the French?

1  Thank retirednottired
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Large party attended Kingswood (recommended once by a friend and once by a relative - more than once actually!!). Waiting staff handled all members of the party beautifully - aged from 7 years to 69 years old. All specific requests accommodated with nothing seeming to be too much trouble. And then came the food ... Oh my gosh! My only complaint is that I couldn't manage it all!! Great variety on the menu, excellent portion sizes, lovely waiting staff, relaxing layout/decor - we will definitely be going back!!

Reviewed July 29, 2012

The Kingswood Bar & restaurant is first class. Friendly, efficient staff, A good menu choice and excellent well presented food. All this on our doorstep. I would highly recommend and we will be visiting often.

Reviewed July 28, 2012

Just had a fantastic 3 course meal at Kingswood and cannot speak highly enough of my meal. Just yummy. And we were very well looked after by all of the staff. Thanks very much for a very enjoyable evening. I now can't wait to go again so I can try other stuff on the menu