“Nice food”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Lovely food as always really helpful waitress the only down side was the music was too loud for a restaurant.

There are newer reviews for Frankie & Benny's

Reviewed October 4, 2012

We eat here when we go to the cinema next door. Since the new development opened, giving St Austell a wonderful, clean, modern center, complimenting the pretty, older areas near the market and church, we have become aware of the lack of eateries. There should be more.
So, to Frankie and Benny’s: New York Italian Theme. Fantastic place to have next to a cinema. The interior is clean and bright and attractive. It manages to be a theme restro without being fibreglassy. The public areas are decorated with vintage newspaper clippings of baseball and boxing and they play Italian language lessons as background in the toilets, ha ha, brill.
Let me get the downer out of the way first. When you eat before a show, you need to know that you will be finished in good time. Being next door to a cinema, this would seem like a pre-requisite that the staff would be critically aware of. They’re not. When it comes to booking, arrivals, seating . . . they are clueless. They’re great at everything else and we love the place – it’s just the booking and seating that they can’t do. When they first opened, we booked a table an hour and a half before the film. We arrived. The place was half empty. No problem then? Forget it. We were asked to wait in the bar until our table was ready. Half the tables in the place were ready. We waited for nearly 45 minutes. I only put up with it to see what the new place could offer. So, we had to hassle the staff and rush our food. I wouldn’t normally have paid in full but let them off because they were new. Second time, we booked, thinking that the earlier ineptness was because they were new staff, finding their feet. Nope – same problem. And again the third time. Fourth time, we didn’t book. We still had to wait for imaginary table preparation but got seated in about the same time as when we had booked. I have to say that all the time you wait for table preparation – even though there are tables prepped – and you will be seated at one of these, it’s not like they are reserved, well they are, ironically, for you – the staff aren’t just lounging around. Oh no, they are all rushing around with cloths and menus looking extremely busy. Odd.
We keep going and still don’t get it. One time, we were kept waiting so long we had to leave and run up to The Gurkher. They were charming and rushed us through. So, do book if you need to get out to see a film but book extra early and accept that you may have to wait.
The food, though, is really good. Cooked in the open kitchen; like other good chains, some is fresh, some is shipped in. All well constructed and obviously well taste tested.
Garlic bread. Proper Italian style, paper-thin pizza dough, drizzled with oil and rubbed with garlic. Just yummy.
Meatballs and spaghetti. Oh, yes. Good spaghetti. Perfect balance of tomato and herbs. Great meatballs.
Calzone. Not too heavy and bready. Better than ASK. Just right.
Southern fried chicken on honey and mustard. Mmmmmm.
Carbonara. Not easy to do en-masse, unless you’re good at it. They are.
Desserts are sumptuous and the ice cream really is worth trying.
Drink Bud with the white food and Chianti with the red.
Look, I won’t go on; why don’t you go there and try something. Then go back and try something else. Elaine and I are gradually working through the menu. In fact we are due for another visit any time now.
A nice feed in Frankies, followed by a pre-film coffee in the cinema . . . luxury that won’t break the bank.

Location *****
Atmosphere *****
Hosting *****
Food *****

* Little league. *** In the ball park. ***** Home run.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

Came to St.Austell for the evening for a cinema trip and ate here, I have come before a couple years ago so thought we would give another visit as the menu sounds really good......
I love the atmosphere, very American, Italian and the staff are really well presented and very friendly. I had a Mediterranean vegetable burger and my partner and friend each had a pizza which was very yummy.
It's very central this place and right next to the cinema soits always worth a visit and I would recommend this place for families and all sorts of groups, wide variety of food and drinks and I would like to try something different next time,overall a very pleasant time had by all

1  Thank Jenny M
Reviewed August 29, 2012

We visited again tonight. The manager and staff are excellent. These guys have great humour, are polite and the restaurant has a great atmosphere. A great meal.

1  Thank Denise7777
Reviewed August 23, 2012

young staff not helpful over priced, food not good the steaks where chewy. Not alot I can say about it. I enjoyed the music in background that is has much as I can say about it.