“excellent stay- well positioned”

The Cornwall Hotel, Spa & Estate
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in St Austell
Manchester, United Kingdom
“excellent stay- well positioned”
Reviewed May 25, 2013

Excellent hotel with staff who were very keen to make sure everything was great (Gregg, the manager and Emily in the restaurant). The hotel is midway between Heligan and Eden and very close to St Austell station. We used taxis to travel around as we arrived by train and this was not a problem. The food was excellent in the dining restaurant. The spa and infinity pool were great for relaxation. The hotel is quite expensive but many people were on deals (secret escapes, saga), which reduced the price.

Room Tip: We stayed in superior rooms which had a slightly unusual layout with the bathroom in the main bedroo...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
CornwallHotel, General Manager at The Cornwall Hotel, Spa & Estate, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Wow! Thank you for such a great review. It makes all our hard work and effort worthwhile. Emily is a star and she was tickled pink to see her name mentioned. Kind regards Greg.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (481)
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Close to Eden in all aspects - well, actually I don't know, but close to the Eden Project - don't know about the biblical one. Great setting and very peaceful. I'd definitely come back for longer given half a chance, as it was only an overnight.

Room Tip: They all seemed to be ok - didn't have any issues
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Love your sense of humour! It put a big smile on my face, so thank you! We really do hope that you will manage to come back and visit us for longer. Just between you and me, if you book well in advance that is when our prices are at our best! Kind regards Greg.
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 21, 2013

We have just returned from a truly lovely weekend at the Cornwall Hotel Spa and Estate. Great accommodation and incredibly friendly and helpful staff. The grounds were tranquil (just what was needed) and the food superb in all restaurants - we couldn't help ourselves after a meal on the first night in Acorns. Right from the moment we arrived it was clear that nothing was too much trouble for the staff. And the spa ........ three hours later, we wanted to go back in.

All of the ingredients for a perfect honeymoon weekend!!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
We were delighted and honoured that you decided to stay with us for your honeymoon. I am sure that we will see you again. Thank you for the great review. Kind regards Greg.
Farnborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 21, 2013

The hotel was lovely and relaxing - just what was needed after the long drive down to Cornwall. The spa was great and clean. We had a lovely swim to build up our appetites before a fantastic dinner at the Brasserie. The room was spacious and the bed was very comfortable. The pool was open nice and early so I could have a swim before the fantastic breakfast!

Unfortunately the toilet was running in our bathroom, which we only noticed when we got into bed (and I know it disturbed my partners sleep).

Our package included a cream tea and we thought that this finished at 5:30pm. We got downstairs at a couple of minutes after 5 and were told that it finished at 5. This is disappointing as it would have taken very little effort to provide it.

Room Tip: Room 132 has a view that is obscured...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
We are sorry that it was just not quite perfect! I have spoken to my Head Housekeeper, Gill to make sure that any defaults in bedrooms are reported and fixed in a timely manner. Personally, I was very disappointed to read about the cream tea, you are absolutely right it would not have taken any effort to provide this and please be assured that we have discussed this poor service issue as a team to make sure that we always put our guests first.
Bournemouth
Reviewed May 20, 2013

We have just returned from a short stay at this wonderful Hotel and Spa, the hotel is set in very pleasant grounds, back far enough from the main road. The Hotel is very worthy of its four stars, but I most impressed by the courtesy of the staff. The facilities are excellent and the food was perfect. I would recommend any one looking for a Hotel and Spa resort to consider The Cornwall.

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking the front patio and garden, a lovely view to wake up to
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you! Not only do we think it is important that the hotel looks right, but we all firmly believe that it's the team that make or break a hotel. We continually strive to improve our guest services and friendliness.
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 20, 2013

We stayed for the weekend in one of the superior rooms overlooking the grounds.
The staff were wonderful and attentive in a really genuine way.
The room was very clean.
The food in the brasserie was excellent and good value.
We will be recommending the hotel to family and friends.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you, thank you, thank you! Wonderful service and a wonderful review.
Southwest England
Reviewed May 19, 2013

My husband and I stayed in a woodland home about 18 months ago, not long after they were first open, and we were delighted with our experience there. I was, therefore, sorry to read some poor reviews since then. In particular, there have been some suggestions that the staff aren't well managed--or at times, even attentive to their customers--and that the spa is in poor condition.

Therefore, because we passing through that part of England recently, I decided to have a spa day and see for myself how things are currently run at The Cornwall Spa.

In short, I was positively impressed and I totally enjoyed my spa experience.

The staff were attentive. The receptionist was totally responsive to what I asked for, and generous with her time to make sure I was well accommodated. All the staff members I met were friendly and helpful, but at the same time relaxed and willing to let the customer set the pace.

The spa was in excellent condition--almost, in fact, as if only a day had passed since my last visit rather than a year and a half! The equipment in the gym was clean and in good working order, and cleaners came in while I was there to make it even cleaner. The pool was spotlessly clean, and a better temperature than when last I used it, when it seemed a bit too warm. The loungers in the pool area were clean. The showers were in great condition, and there was plenty of soap and hot water. Hair dryers were working. The one complaint, I suppose, is that some of the lockers wouldn't lock, although there were plenty enough for everyone to have a working locker.

Overall, I would recommend this establishment highly.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank englishfamily99
We are extremely passionate about our hospitality provided to our guests at The Cornwall Hotel by not only meeting guest needs but exceeding guest expectations. We have been working hard and continually strive to train the team, sometimes on the odd occasion we get it wrong but we pick ourselves back up and keep going. The lockers in the Spa have been giving us some problems and I am delighted to say that we are currently resolving this issue.
Also consider these accommodations in or near St Austell
#3 of 3 in Fowey
The Pier House Hotel
The Pier House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Charlestown

Been to The Cornwall Hotel, Spa & Estate? Share your experiences!