“Cottage/lodge”

The Cornwall Hotel, Spa & Estate
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in St Austell
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We have stayed in the lodges last year and were really impressed, what a place. ,spacious, clean and very modern and also very reasonable. This year we stayed in the cottage in the hotel grounds and this was just as impressive. Large bathroom and kitchen open log fire as well as central heating and a welcome pack on arrival. We ate again in the fine dine restaurant his was excellent and staff were very pleasant. Going again with friends. Brilliant.

Room Tip: Stayed in lodge and cottage
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,149)

Reviewed March 16, 2013

I stayed at THe Cornwall worth my partner as a birthday treat. We booked for two nights with breakfast and dinner on the first night on a special offer. Although we were two late to get an upgraded room our room was tasteful and spotless with lovely bedding. Each room has a balcony which we didn't use due to the weather. The black out curtains were great and allowed us to sleep in. The grounds are stunning.
We has a good meal in the bistro. We could have upgraded to the restaurant but choose the bistro which was perfectly adequate. Service was good, staff were pleasant. Breakfast was as you would expect in a good quality hotel.
The spa is amazing. It really is a lovely environment. The infinity pool is just lovely with huge windows so you can see the grounds. The changing rooms were probably the best I have ever used. I didn't have any treatments so I cant comment. The prices were a little scary!
Being really nit picking I would have preferred as lightly warmer jacuzzi and I found the lightening the the bedroom wasn't bright enough. I was on the third floor and had three small flights of steps to reach my room. But non of that detracted from my enjoyment of my stay at The Cornwall and I will definitely be returning.

Room Tip: Try and upgrade to a room with a free standing bath in your room for a bit of added luxury.
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We booked a two night weekend stay (Friday - Sunday) and I cannot fault a single thing.

Gorgeous decor in the room with complimentary waters, soaps, tea, coffee and biscuits etc. Bathroom perfect; no problems with shower and hot water, clean and almost like home (I am fussy with bathrooms).

Breakfast was delicious with the option of having something other than the 'buffet' style full English, cereal, toast and jam, cheese and ham etc. and all at no extra cost.
The leisure facilities were top notch; great gym, such a relaxing pool, steam room, sauna and Jacuzzi and it was all really clean.

The grounds were expansive; although we did not go for a walk (I tried but my partner 'forgot' his walking shoes) it looked idyllic. Being from Devon I am used to gorgeous countryside and magnificent views but have to admit that the view from our room (in the White House) was amazing and not what one would expect form a hotel.

The restaurant and brasserie were amazing and I cannot fault any of the food I had there. The wine/bar list was extensive offering afternoon tea and snacks such as mixed bread and olives of which we had and was again delicious. Staff were attentive and polite if not overly so!

Overall excellent stay and I will most certainly visit this hotel again.

Room Tip: We stayed in the white house and had a room facing the front of the hotel so had great views of the...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I stayed at this hotel in November on business. Although I had a good experience at the hotel, I imagine that this would have been 100 times better if I had stopped during the summer.

The hotel is set in excellent grounds - very picturesque indeed, and yet it is only a couple of minutes from St Austell itself.

The hotel is very modern. The restaurant and bar areas are great and the food (both breakfast and evening meal) were excellent for the week I was there. All of the staff were extremely polite and helpful too.

Onto the rooms - modern, clean and very comfortable. My room had a balcony area which would have been ideal in nice weather - but with it being November and pouring with rain, I couldn't really benefit from it.

I didn't have chance to use the spa facilities, but colleagues assured they were excellent.

All in all, a great place to stay both for business or just to get away from it all.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I went for the first time earlier in the month and can highly reccomend it. the staff were helpful and friendly the whole place was lovely and clean. the facilities were very good only downside was that there is only one private changing room ( not too keen on the lets all change together thing that is so common in these places.and dont think I am alone on this from what people say at these places.)

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We booked a two night, mid-week stay here just to chill out and get away. We got a great deal through LastMinute.com and thoroughly enjoyed every minute of our time here.

It's right near the Lost Gardens of Heligan which we visited before checking in; there's also Mevagissey and St Austell just down the road.

The staff were friendly and attentive (but not too attentive), the breakfast was fresh and beautifully cooked, the room was spacious with a huge balcony and lovely shower (we particularly appreciated the spacious sinks with plenty of room for toiletries) and the lounge was a great place to relax at any time of day.

We finished our two day break with some treatments at the spa after making full use of the pool, sauna, steam room and jacuzzi the day before.

We will definitely return when next in need of some rejuvenation and spoiling. Thanks for a great stay guys.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 13, 2013

We have been going to this place for the 3 or so yrs that it has been open and as a couple we have always thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience. However we have always only ever been in the standard grade of hotel room and have only been able to afford to take advantage of the special "winter deals". Therefore our comments are somewhat biased. We would dearly love to go at other times but our thoughts would probably be just the same.
There is not a lot to fault - the occasional moan like a shaver socket not working or a cleanliness issue but on the whole it is always good.
HOWEVER........ it would seem that what is consistant is the view that service can be a bit hit and miss. Mostly, any of the staff, from those at bottom of the rung, and all the way up, tend to try and bend over backwards to help and see to any request - this last time there, we changed the eve meal booking from one day to another and then back again - it was no problem and adjusted without any fuss. We were well looked after on the Sun morn breakfast, downstairs, by two young girls - they couldnt help enough, nothing was too much trouble. Yet two nights before, we were served by a chap who had only started the previous wed and was pretty clueless at times.
Overall its a great place and we spend at least 2 hrs in the spar complex every day for swim/sauna.
Keep up the good work chaps and just try and keep service near the top of the agenda.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St Austell
Premier Inn St. Austell Hotel
The Alverton
The Alverton
#1 of 4 in Truro

Been to The Cornwall Hotel, Spa & Estate? Share your experiences!