“Peaceful”

The Cornwall Hotel, Spa & Estate
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in St Austell
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Recently enjoyed a two night break here - beautiful setting and thoroughly enjoyed sitting on our balcony in the peace and quiet, even the sun came out occasionally. The rooms are an excellent size, tastefully decorated with a very modern, clean bathroom. The king size bed was so comfortable that I had the best few nights sleep that I had had in ages.

We ate in the restaurant on the first night as this was included in our package. Good choice of food, well presented and very tasty. On the second evening we ordered food in the downstairs bar - again this could not be faulted.

The pool is amazing so do take advantage of it - 2 separate sessions each day when children are not allowed in the pool. Overall the staff were very polite and pleasant.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,136)

Reviewed October 1, 2012

To me one of the best hotels in the area, even though they play too much on it, with an atmosphere sometimes to posh.

Shame to have en empty mini-bar

All rooms hae a terrace, which is really a plus, all the more since the view on the countryside is great. Silent hotel (except when doors are slammed).

Only tried to pool & sauna at the spa: it's good to have them, especially after a long day of work.

Room Tip: Food quality is good, even though service is slow. £6 room service charge...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Had a short break away and had a fantastic time.
Staff freindly and helpful.
Food excellent
Will be going back next year.
View and gardens a delight.
Surrounding areas has some excellant bike rides.
Spar swimming pool was clean and tidy.

Room Tip: Go for a room with a balcony
Reviewed October 1, 2012

I SO wish this place would sort itself out. The Cornwall has the makings of a really GREAT spa hotel, but lets itself down over something which is actually the basis of great, successful hotels. Staff training and staff attitude to customers.
Location is fab. Beds really comfortable. The spa is good. (though, I have to agree with a previous review about the silly, HUGE seats, loungers would be much better in the space.)
The food is very good indeed.
In fact, we have stayed at numerous spa hotels as we work across the Uk. This is a second only to Rockcliffe Hall and, in truth, it knocks the socks off The Scarlet. It’s also better than St Michael’s in Falmouth
But PLEASE could SOMEONE train the waiting/restaurant staff? And keep a more pro-active eye on Reception staff?
Great service is shown here, at times, but it’s patchy. And the “fine dining” experience is, at times, like having teeth pulled because of the (charming) but inexperienced waiting staff. Breakfasts can be the same at times (depending on who is serving). We stayed for 6 nights, with a b and b package which included three meals in the Arboretum. The packages themselves are well worth looking out for.
No complaints about the food, even though the menu was exactly the same each night (I’d rather have a small choice of well done food than a large selection of poor food, which often happens). Just a feeling, at times, that no one was in charge and no one had a clue how to run a busy restaurant.
House keeping is also a little patchy. The room looked like it needed a really good vacuum, and no bed linen change in six nights?
Having said all that, we will be back, next time we are in this part of Cornwall. It manages to deliver, but it could, easily do so much more. And to be brutally honest, its the best by far in this area.
One note, though. A peaceful Sunday afternoon in the spa was totally wrecked by one family (including elderly grandparents and young grandchildren,) who completely ignored the presence of other guests. The WHOLE pool, including the small spa pool (supposedly not for under 16s), the steam room and sauna (again, supposedly not for under 16s) became, for an hour, their own little playground, providing the rest of us with a soundtrack of screeches and screams reminiscent of a Jaws film. Even the roped off section at the side, which anyone with an ounce of consideration would have recognised as being for adult, swimmers was taken over.
They all, including, if not especially, “gramps” and “grannie” should be ashamed of themselves. But, I fear, as a “leisurely Sunday lunch and swim” is advertised on a massive billboard at the entrance of the hotel, and “non residents welcome” this may be a regular occurrence at this slightly more expensive end of the market. Perhaps if they’d included nanny in the family lunch out, their children would have been shown how to behave.
And perhaps The Cornwall needs to have a really good look at the kind of customers it wants to attract.
Not even sure why I’m bothering to put this up. One of the telling points about hotels I look at when booking, is whether the management/owner responds to reviewers’ remarks, either positive or negative. Not a murmur from The Cornwall about any reviews here. Perhaps that silence says it all.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank alp1
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Came as a day spa guest with my husband on a special offer at the end of September 2012 which included use of the spa and also a treatment, and had been looking forward to the visit. The upfront booking team were excellent and very professional and I had high hopes of the visit. I am an experienced spa visitor and have been fortunate enough to visit some of the the best spas in the UK - this is not one of them. The spa building itself is very nice, a lot of effort has gone into the design, and it was very clean, so credit to the housekeeping staff, however the lack of care and attention, noise and poor management really let this place down.

On arrival, we were expecting a warm spa greeting in line with the excellent pre arrival service, instead we were greeted in a very brusque manner by the receptionist who gave us a single towel and took our vouchers with little or no explanation of the layout or treatments etc. We had to ask for robes, slippers were not offered and the towels were of poor quality, very thin and when I asked for a second towel I was told it was strictly one towel per person or I could pay £2.50 for another towel - this was reinforced with notices in the changing rooms. We were told very dismissively to go and fill in a form on a separate table - no explanation and very DIY - overall not a good start, and we were very taken aback, especially after the very good pre arrival booking service. Reception was also full of people chatting and gossiping - mainly men who seemed to know the receptionists and be talking about cars and local stuff - not customers, and we were made to feel like they wanted to deal with us as quickly as possible so they could go back to chatting.

We made our way down to the pool only to be greeted by a screaming baby for the next 20 minutes, and at that point we found out that they let children and babies in - not what is usual in an upmarket spa. Nothing against children or babies, but not in a luxury spa. This is when we realised that this is more of a hotel leisure facility with treatment rooms than a proper luxury spa. To add to the 'family values' there was also a very unsavoury health warning sign on the ladies changing room door before you enter the pool warning about the health risks of both adults and children swimming with diarrhoea- again not quite in the spirit of a luxury spa - made one wonder why the sign was there - yeuck. The pool itself is nice, and well designed, looking out onto a pretty walled garden and there is a small sauna and a larger steam room on poolside, but the jacuzzi part of the pool was too cold to sit in. It was also very noisy as sound carried, and there were no spa staff in sight, and no signs asking patrons to keep the noise down. Changing rooms were OK - again nothing special. Overall we were disappointed as the reality did not quite match up to the web descriptions.

However we decided to go with the flow and head off for our treatments - something we had been really looking forward to. Unfortunately due to the design of the spa you have to leave the pool area, walk up stairs, go past reception and then up again to a spa waiting area on a mezzanine floor directly above reception. The waiting area was a miserable space - nasty green 'trendy' plastic chairs, opposite a nail bar, the floor of which was covered in red laundry bags and no refreshments (in fact no water coolers in the pool area, changing rooms or waiting area), and no one to help or direct you. It was also in a corridor so people walking past, there were DIY consultation forms (never referred to once filled in), and as it was a mezzanine (with a glass wall so very 'exposed') above reception, all we could hear was the reception staff gossiping below with a series of their friends and generally being very noisy - not remotely relaxing - in fact really fustrating. There was one receptionist who was trying to be professional and who kindly got me a glass of water, but she was the exception. It was clear there was no management in place to make the space quiet and serene and also the staff still seemed to have huge amounts of time to chatter.

Due to the layout, I choose not to wear my robe as it felt too public so I had to get dressed all over again which was a total pest. When we were finally called for our massage (10 minutes late) then the girls were very nice, but it was impossible to fully enjoy the massage due to the continual noise from the reception and also the corridor outside the spa rooms as every time a member of staff went past it sounded like a herd of elephants on the laminate floor - not what you want when having a relaxing treatment - one member of staff was continually backwards and forwards and seemed very flat footed. Such a shame as the massage rooms were actually quite nice and the treatments nice.

When the massage was finished, we were ushered into a relaxation room to help ourselves to drinks and to relax. No chance of this - there was no chilled water, tea bags were still in their twinings cardboard boxes, it was a DIY kettle (empty) and no water source in sight and the beds were covered in towels that looked pre used and yet again you could hear the noise from reception. Eventually, totally frustrated we decided to cut our losses and leave. As part of this offer we should have also got a glass of prosecco, at no time was it offered and by that time we did not even want it. Usually by this time at the spa I am relaxed and happy and wanting to spend a fortune and purchase oils and lotions - not this time. When we left, nearly 3 hours after we had arrived, the same chaps were still chatting at the reception desk and the same amount of noise was present. We did consider complaining but by that point we just wanted to leave. This is not a cheap place and it is clear that a lot of effort has gone into the design, but it is the little things and the management which let it down.

Good spas should be welcoming, quiet, very professional and a relaxing space. The only good things I can say for this establishment is that it was very clean and the pool was a nice design, however the management need to focus on making this into a customer orientated and quiet/relaxing space. We had been looking forward to this for weeks and left very annoyed and feeling like we had wasted our money. My normally liad back husband was incensed we had even visited and wished we had not.

Overall, we were exceedingly disappointed and won't be back - we don't live near by so we had made a 100 mile detour to visit for our spa day on the way back from holiday. I would imagine if you just want to use the leisure facilities it is fine, however after my experience I would not recommend the spa. Which is a real shame as they use Aromatherapy Associates products which are excellent and they usually vet the spas that use them - what is more frustrating is with good management and a few refinements this could be really nice. The only benefit of the visit is that as it was an offer then it as a reduced price, however even this was too much. On a more positive note, the spa at Trelowarren on the Lizard in South Cornwall is excellent as are the holiday cottages. The other spa I would recommend is The Carrick in Scotland which is the same price and so much better if you are seeking a destination spa.

1  Thank vicki1812
Reviewed September 30, 2012

My husband and I went to the spa at The Cornwall Hotel where we spent £200 on spa treatments as a honeymoon indulgence. On arrival we were asked to go and wait upstairs where somebody would come and collect us. We waited half an hour without anybody speaking to us and then eventually we were collected and shown to the treatment room. Rather than been shown to the changing room and given robes and slippers we were told to get changed in the treatment room and then wait for the staff to come back. This meant our clothes were left in a heap on the floor.
The staff came back and we had our massages. The treatment was actually very nice but it did include a facial and we weren't asked about our skin types and my husband wasn't asked about the pressure of his massage.
When it was finished we were told to go and sit in the relaxation room and have a cup of tea while our creams sank in. I asked if we could then use the spa facilities and was told "after you've sat down for a few minutes you can do whatever you like." Still with no offer of a robe or changing room! We therefore had to carry our armfuls of clothes with us and when we got there we couldn't see where there was water to fill the kettle and as the staff had just wandered off we had nobody to ask about it so couldn't even have the cup of tea
I eventually went to the main reception with a towel wrapped around me to ask for a robe. The woman there asked if I was on a package and when I told her we'd just had treatments she reluctantly handed over 2 robes (still no slippers) and told me to "make sure I bring them back to reception afterwards".
We then had a swim (the only positive was the lovely view from the swimming pool), and quickly used the sauna but were so unrelaxed by then we just wanted to leave. It was a waste of £200 and a real disappointment on our honeymoon. I would strongly recommend getting spa treatments elsewhere unless you like being treated like an inconvenience. The whole experience made the massage forgettable and all we went away remembering was the terrible service.

2  Thank Carrie27
Reviewed September 29, 2012

I'm lucky enough to have friends who own one of the Lodges and so have stayed at the Cornwall a couple of times. I found the spa to be excellent and the setting and grounds improving all the time. The service in the bar can be a little slow but the staff are all very friendly and efficient and the reception staff couldn't have been more helpful when I experienced a few difficulties on the transport front when I was last there.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
#3 of 3 in Fowey
The Pier House Hotel
The Pier House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Charlestown

Been to The Cornwall Hotel, Spa & Estate? Share your experiences!