“A very restful stay”

The Cornwall Hotel, Spa & Estate
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in St Austell
Reviewed February 15, 2012

Just got back from a couple of nights stay and it was bliss, just what we needed! The room was clean and spacious. There was a problem with the TV on both days we were there; hope the problem isn't more permanent. The spa facilities and treatments were great. The pool was split between the lane swimmers and play area for kids and families, which works really well as each side didn't spoilt it for the other. Both restaurants had a good choice of menu and the food was exquisite, the drinks were a bit on the pricey side.
My only real disappointment was that I found not one or two but three hairs in my plate underneath the fish I was eating! (dare I say anymore!) Whilst the waitress apologised, no further apologies came forward in terms of a change in the bill or a small token as apologies, which was a real shame; as it really spoilt it for me that evening.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
James H, General Manager at The Cornwall Hotel, Spa & Estate, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2012

Thank you for your review.

I am delighted to read that overall your stay was a very good one, however, I am shocked that your complaint regarding your fish dish was not dealt with more appropriately. Please rest assured I will be carrying out a full investigation to establish, not only how this happened, by why it was not pounced upon as a major issue. We pride ourselves in the quality of our food, as well as our customer service, and it would appear that we failed on both counts on this occasion. For which I am very sorry.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

James Hemming

Write a ReviewReviews (2,138)

Reviewed February 14, 2012

We took advantage of a 'Winter Warmer' 2 night break. It represented fabulous value. Our room was spacious and comfortable with a view of the parkland. The food was delicious and the service was charming. The pool was a good size. It would be nice to to go again later in the year to get the benefit of the landscaping. Obviously the garden had its winter coat on.

Room Tip: You would not want to be in a room on the lower level behind the hotel as I do not think you would h...
Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Grahamslaw

Thank you for your review.

I am delighted that you had a good stay with us. You're right; the estate had its winter coat on, plus with only 2 summers under its belt the grounds are still developing. However, we have some excellent species of plants and a number of Arboretum quality trees (hence the name of our fine-dining restaurant), which hold their own even over the winter. Next time you are with us, let me know and I shall arrange for our Head Gardener to give you a tour of the grounds, he'd be delighted to show them off to you.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed February 11, 2012

The welcome was friendly but very over bearing (we were bombarded with intructions and left slightly dazed). Our deluxe room was a good size but otherwise a typical hotel room. However a bargin for only £75 b&b! We had dinner in The Arbortium. Whilst the lamb was delicious the meal overall was not really up to the standard to be expected for the price charged. The wine list was expensive and mostly only available by the full bottle - not easy if only one of you drinks wine!
The Spa staff were all very friendly/helpful and the changing rooms very clean. I had a wonderfully relaxing massage. Wished we had time to enjoy the lovely looking pool or try the gym and wouldn't rule out returning to do so.
We would recommend staying there to make the most of the Spa rather than for a gastronomic experience. We enjoyed our stay but were slightly dissapointed as the reviews we had read on here prior to booking had led us to expect better than we experienced overall.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TruroTraveller73

Thank you for your review.

I am sorry that we were unable to acheive your expectation on this occasion. I can understand that having read recent reviews on this site, plus laterooms etc you would be expecting a faultless stay - naturally this is our aim on each guests' stay. However we have clearly failed on this occasion.

I was suprised that you felt your room was typical of a hotel bedroom, we strongly believe that the spacious balconies, coupled with the 30sqm bedroom which 50% larger than an average bedroom (which I appreciate you have noticed), make the rooms anything other than typical. However, we clearly need to make more of them.

We are in the process of changing our wine list, which should (If we are able to agree on stockholding figures) give us a wine list with possibly the largest selection of wines in a hotel in Cornwall. Unfortunately we have needed to run our stocks down to facilitate this change.

Once again thank you for your feedback. I am grateful for you taking the time to relay your comments.

Kinest regards,

Reviewed February 10, 2012

Driving up the drive it was impressive; checking in friendly; bedroom immaculate; clean modern bathroom; lovely view of extensive grounds from balcony; main restaurant "Cordon Bleu" standard with exceptional service; second night similar food and really good value in smaller restaurant. fresh hot full breakfast. Undoubtedly one of the best hotels I have ever stayer in and incredible value. Spa was brilliant also

Room Tip: Modern rooms at rear are brilliant
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for your review.

The team and I are delighted that you had such a wonderful experience. Naturally, I will ensure your feedback is passed on to the staff, to demonstrate the fruits of their labour.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed February 10, 2012

My partner and I have eaten here on many occasions when Tom Bradbury was Head Chef and we decided to come and try the food of the highly advertised Brett. As always we had a nice warm welcome at reception from a lovely blonde lady. We had a drink in the bar which we thought was a bit pricey. A woman with short dark hair came through and told us that our table was ready so we walked through in to the restaurant and we were seated at a table tucked away in the corner. As there was only 2 other couples in the restaurant i asked if we could sit at a different table which the waitress replied "NO" and then walked off. My partner decided to have a glass of wine when the waitress came over my partner asked if the chardonnay was oaked to which the waitress said "let me find out" 10 minutes later she returned to say "no its not old, its a 2010 vintage". Anyway, the food came out and what can i say, the taste of every dish was mesmerising and well worth the money. Overall i think the food was very good but the staff need some training.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank James W

Thank you for your review.

I appreciate your comments regarding Staff Training. This is an area of development we have worked on very hard over the last few months, and whilst we have made a huge difference, there is clearly some way to go. I will discuss your comments with our senior team and will ensure that we learn from the experience.

I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed February 10, 2012

Found this fab hotel for our wedding venue. Went through all the meetings, menus, numbers & took all close family down to look around & even pick rooms....date was booked or as we were told. Just was awaiting final price before we payed deposit but never heard back from the wedding planner even after loads of calls & emails. Was then so upset when a few months later I found out they had given our date to another couple!!! No explaination or even a simple "SORRY". Gutted as it was perfect for us & close for all our guests......
But its not all bad a friend book me a mini spa day for my birthday & it was perfect! The pool was a little chilly but it was quite busy which was told why temp had dropped?!? everything was so lovely & treatments were amazing...The girls that work at the spa are so good..have now booked an afternoon for my friends & I for my hen do.
All in all I would use the spa again & again but as for the hotel I would give it a miss, staff are rubbish (apart from Leanne on reception) & rude, Food is exspensive & better at Mc Donalds & they cant bend over backwards when ur spending £15,000+ on ur wedding.

Room Tip: stay away from hotel n stick to the spa!!!!
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Lisa H

Thank you for your review.

The team and I are very sorry regarding the problems regarding your wedding enquiry. I understand that the requested date was advised available but in the absence of a deposit could not be secured.

Naturally I was disappointed to read your comments regarding all but one of the staff being 'rubbish and rude' (although I agree that Leanne is very good) however, you have clearly got that impression from somewhere and we will do our utmost to prove on a daily basis that is not the case. I have seen this already be a motivator for the staff.

I was also suprised to read your comments regarding the food being better at McDonalds. Whilst I quite like a Big Mac on occasion I simply couldn't agree, and would be hard pushed to find someone who does. However unfortunatly your review does not state that you have eaten at the hotel, or more appropriatley when, so I will discuss with our Head Chef and his talented brigade the need to raise his game across all meal periods.

We look forward to welcoming you back later in the year.

Reviewed February 9, 2012

A birthday treat for my wife which did not fail to impress. Our faces dropped momentarily when sat nav confirmed our arrival just outside the travelodge!!
Fantastic, spacious room in main house with parkland views. Big enough for us and baby son to feel very comfortable.
We were made very welcome. Food is great. Service great. Spa and infinity pool fab. Breakfast needs improving both location and presentation.
We will be back now we have 2 year pass for Eden Project.

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank Happyluncher

Thank you for your review.

I am glad to hear that your stay was an enjoyable one. I have asked my F&B Manager and Operations Manager, as a result of your comments to review breakfast. They have made imrovements already to the layout and presentation of the breakfast buffet and our Executive Chef is reviewing our breakfast offering to ensure it is of the very best quality.

I hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St Austell
The Alverton
The Alverton
#1 of 4 in Truro
Premier Inn St. Austell Hotel

Been to The Cornwall Hotel, Spa & Estate? Share your experiences!