“An excellent hotel for a cold winter's night”

The Cornwall Hotel, Spa & Estate
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in St Austell
Exeter, United Kingdom
“An excellent hotel for a cold winter's night”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2011

Our expectations on booking this hotel were fulfilled, despite the rather variable recent reviews.
Our room was truly excellent - quiet with a very comfortable bed. The pool area was modern,spacious and well-equipped and the view in the morning made it an ideal setting for a pre-breakfast swim.
All the staff were friendly and helpful, but not intrusive. Dinner in the main restaurant justified our visit, despite our having chosen chef's night off. The pheasant main course could not have been better. A good breakfast menu was just what we needed after our swim, although the dreadful Christmas "musack" did not match the surroundings.
Compared to other quality hotels in Cornwall the offering and facilities are good value and we will return.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
James H, General Manager at The Cornwall Hotel, Spa & Estate, responded to this review, December 19, 2011
Thank you for your email.

I was delighted to have read that your expectations were met, and that you had an enjoyable stay.

Regarding music; it is very difficult to find the right mix, especially with a media that is so subjective. We run our music system from a company called Sonos, an online, cutting edge technological system which gives us access to thousands upon thousands of tracks, as well as radio stations. Our music of choice through the festive season is a radio station dedicated to Christmas music. From time to time tracks are presented that are not correct for the mood we try to convey at that particular moment. Our team are briefed to skip these tracks where necessary, although that clearly doesnt happen in all cases. I would agree that there is only a certain amount of Slade anyone can listen to.

Once again, thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Best wishes,

James Hemming

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (459)
Cornwall
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2011

my boyfriend and were booked in for Sunday lunch and took advantage of using the spa beforehand. it was fabulous! not too busy, staff we soooo helpful and it was very relaxing.

lunch was amazing, the food was the best i have had in a long time, everything was cooked to perfection and presented immaculately. the prices were surprisingly cheap. especially a pint of ale for £3.50!

service was perfect and as long as the prices don't attract the riff-raff we will be back!!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
James H, General Manager at The Cornwall Hotel, Spa & Estate, responded to this review, December 12, 2011
Thanks you for your review.

I am delighted that you had an enjoyable time. We have worked hard to ensure previous reviews (and other feedback) is taken on board, and I'm pleased that the team's hard work is paying off.

Many thanks, and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Best wishes of the festive season.

Regards,

James
Buckingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2011

We took members of the family who live locally to the restaurant based on the reputation of the chef. The food was perfectly good although some it was borderline on being hot enough but the front of house was woeful. If you want to charge £50 a head for two courses then you place your establishment in a space where expectations of the quality of service are very high and the The Cornwall just does not deliver. Requests for something to accompany our pre-dinner drinks had to be made three times before it arrived. The waiting staff professed to have never heard of kir which at this level is surprising. The expresso was served in a cold cup so was only just warm enough by the time it reached the table. There are other restaurants nearby you should consider before going here if you are looking for value of money. If you want a smart restaurant which was very quiet on a Sunday night then you might want to overlook these issues.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Sybil_Fawlty
James H, General Manager at The Cornwall Hotel, Spa & Estate, responded to this review, December 10, 2011
Thank you for your review.

Had you not mentioned us by name I would have thought you were talking about another hotel, particularly due to the stated cost of a 2-course meal - our TDH menu is £25 for 3 courses and our most expensive main course is only £19.95.

With regards to the service within our Food and Beverage department I can assure you that we are working very hard to rectify the issues you raise as well as the general quality of customer service. I was appointed General Manager at the beginning of November to rectify these service issues, and instill a sense of excellence throughout the hotel; the standard which you would expect from one of Cornwall's premier hotels. The foundations are being built and service is improving by the day.

I am very sorry that we did not exceed your expectations on this occasion.

Herne Bay, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2011

We were a party of 4, booked into Cornwall Hotel Spa & Estate for their advertised 'Garden Weekend'.
Disappointments were dished out in bucket full even before we arrived.
1) We were charged more than was advertised as we were informed by the booking clerk at the hotel that all standard rooms were booked out, thus we were given the bigger room at extra cost to us.
2) We travelled and booked as a party of 2 couples, but were given rooms on different floors and different section of the hotel.
3) Our rooms were stuffy even when we turned off the heater in the room. We had to keep our balcony doors open all night to get any sleep. My husband and I were on the first floor, so I was extra anxious of security risk during the night, hence slept badly.
4) The lighting in the rooms were extremely poor. Despite turning on all available lights in the rooms, we could not see to read our newspaper or information leaflets or room service menu. My girl friend and I could not see to put our make up on!
5) As with all hotels, the option of clean towels were given. We chose to have clean towels but no clean towels were replaced. Instead, we suspected that our wet used towels were simply folded up and hung back on the towel rail.
6)The hotel advertised fine dinning in their dinning room but this was not available to us as the hotel was also having a 'Gourmet' weekend, on the same weekend as our 'Garden' weekend. We were told we could eat at the bar with the same menu but charged at the normal rate of fine dinning! We declined.
7) The spa advertised 'booking appointment to suit you'. I booked in for a facial but was kept waiting in a lonely passage for 20 minutes. I was informed by reception that all therapists were busy. So, question asked, why gave me an appointment if they were all too busy? No response was given of course. Oh, I had to authorised payment before my treatment too. I did ensure that I was not charged when checking out.
8) You may asked, did we not raised these concerns whilst there? Well yes, but the response, ' we are very busy'.

We did tell the hotel that we were be going back again. Not that they care as 'they were too busy'.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank M S
Thank you for your review.

I am very sorry that we have clearly failed to exceed your expectations on this occasion. Whilst the was fully occupied on the weekend you, and your friends, stayed with us; that should have not been a issue.

Having started at the beginning of November I can assure you that I will be investigating your feedback in order to prevent a repeat of your experiences.

Perhaps you could contact me directly, so we may have an opportunity to start to restore your faith in the hotel and the level of customer service we are able to give.

cornwall UK.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2011

This hotel was booked for six adults and three small children as a mothers day treat which also happened to be my daughters birthday. Before booking we visited the hotel to check that they welcomed children and that high chairs would be available and were assured they would.
On arrival we were not greeted and welcomed at all, by a rather sullen receptionist. We found our way to the bar and ordered drinks, at this point we then had to find a waiter to say we had arrived. What followed for the rest of our day was one disaster after another. The service was appauling, the food average, and there were no high chairs. Families (it was mothers day after all) were not all seated in one side of the resturant so we were given the "evil" eye by other diners who clearly objected to three little boys all under two. Yes they were fracious as the wait for food and lack of high chairs was a big factor. There were no flowers on the table as requested when we booked and when I paid the chap behind the bar did not have a clue what he was charging. We were quoted a price when we booked which went up on the day.
The staff in the Spar could hardly manage a greeting let alone a smile. We were made to feel like second class citizens and once again residents staying in the hotel were clearly put out that the public had use of the spar.
My daughter made a complaint the following week and phone calls were not responded to well. I also wrote a letter of complaint and we were given a refund of the extra we paid and an offer of money off when we booked again. That will be the day! over priced, very poor service, arrogant staff and a complete disregard of a customers reqirements. I am a local and frankly never want to set foot in the place again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank secretkim
Thank you for your review.

I am sorry to read of your disappointment back in March. Whilst I am pleased to report that many of the failings you experienced have been rectified since your visit 9 months ago, I fear that will be of little comfort to you.

My apppointment (a few weeks ago) was made specifically to improve the level of customer service and instill a sense of excellence through the entire hotel. That, I'm afraid to say will not happen overnight, but improvements have been made to improve the consistancy in positive service and the management team and staff are very much onboard with the improvements.

I would ask that you contact me directly so we can attempt to restore your faith in the hotel, dispite the content of your email.

Cornwall, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2011

Me and my husband went to stay at the Cornwall for our first anniversary. The hotel was beautiful. The staff were very friendly.
Thankfully the weather on the weekend we were staying at the Cornwall was fantastic, we spent most of the afternoon sitting outside on the Park Terrace sipping wine and Gin and Tonic's. The spa was lovely and clean, the only let down was the pool was rather cold and so was the whirl pool, we didn't stay in for long. However that was only a minor problem.
We stayed in one the deluxe rooms, i think it was the Jaquetta (or something like that) and it was fabulous!
The views around the hotel are amazing and I recommend walking around the estate.
Unfortunately we were unable to dine in their Arboretum restaurant as it was fully booked and unfortunately the other restaurant food wasn't really us, but that didn't matter.
Overall we had a lovely time at the hotel and will definitely be returning.
Thanks for a lovely time.
R & A

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review.

I was delighted to read your positive comments and will be sure to include them in our staff monthly updates.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Best wishes,

Newport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2011

Such a lovely place. I have stayed in the wooodland rooms of the hotel with my partner in sept 11 (bed & breakfast £118 prpn) and now in the woodland homes with my family nov 11 (self catering) ( less than £14 per night per person) and have had a truly lovely time on both occasions. The accommodation is of a very high standard and stylish, and in the older parts of the manor it has been renovated with respect for its past.The spa is wonderful. Even at peak times, it is spacious and relaxing. I have mostly had it to myself on my visits tho and leaves me with the wonderful memory of sitting on the beds in my robe with my book, looking over the victorian walled garden with my worries far far away. The staff are very very friendly and professional and always willing to help you and go the extra mile. The food is truly fabulous. We had a birthday meal for 7 in The Arboretum, where you can take the 3 course daily specials for £25 ( and you can pay course supplements to upgrade to the A La carte) or the A La Carte for 1 course £19, 2 course £27 or 3 course £35. Every single one of us thoroughly enjoyed our meal and with 2 bottles of wine and some children drinks, and 1 or 2 coffees/ brandies we paid £220 for 7. I don;t think we could have had a better quality, better value meal anywhere else. It was fabulous. I have never been out with a group of 7 and every single person enjoying every single aspect of their meal. This is obviously THE place to go. A little peace of heaven in Cornwall. Thank you The Cornwall. We can't wait to come back soon.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for your review.

I am delighted to read of your groups' wonderful stay. Your feedback has been shared amongst the staff and management team and will be used to build upon.

Thank you, once again.

The Fowey Hotel
The Fowey Hotel
#3 of 3 in Fowey
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,291 reviews

Been to The Cornwall Hotel, Spa & Estate? Share your experiences!