“Excellent stay all round”

The Cornwall Hotel, Spa & Estate
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in St Austell
Reviewed August 7, 2011

Just had a Spa Mini Break staying in a Deluxe Room, excellent room, great views and cleanliness 10/10 ( could do with a bath mat though) Staff were polite and friendly, really enjoyed all the meals in both the Acorns and Aboretum. Treatments and Spa facilities were enough for us to work towards another stay very soon .

• Stayed: August 2011
CornwallHotel, General Manager at The Cornwall Hotel, Spa & Estate, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2011

Thank you for your feedback, we look forward to you coming back very soon. We have lots of bath mats so let reservations know at the time of booking and we’ll ensure you have one on arrival in your room.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,120)

Reviewed August 5, 2011

We have just returned from 12 nights in one of the woodland lodges. Overall I really enjoyed our time at The Cornwall. It has a lot going for it: nice setting, high quality accommodation and great facilities. Our experience was greatly aided by the weather, which was on the whole lovely. It was very enjoyable to sit on the balcony at the lodge overlooking the grounds having dinner and drinks.

The lodges itself was a two bedroom and I think it must have been at the Platinum level (because of the unobstructed views). That was nice as we only booked the basic level (the lodges are all the same bar the views). They are nicely kitted out and are contemporary in their style. The niggles I mentioned in the title were:

The soft furnishings. They are perfectly nice but we found them uncomfortable to sit on and the sofas were all so low (not great for me at 6ft). Its only a niggle but after a day out and about it would have been nice to come back to a nice comfortable chair.

Traffic noise. The noise from the road can be heard a bit but its nothing to complain about. My main issues was that twice during our stay I was awoken at pre-8am times by the Grundon refuse collection lorry going straight past our lodge with its reversing alarms beeping. Surely there is a better time than this for them to come!

Laundry: The lodges have a all the mod cons you could want really and there is a washer/dryer for laundry. As ever with those devices the drying side of things isn't the most efficient for anything more than 2 pairs of socks. We found drying our clothes difficult as we didn't want to hand them all over the the outside of the lodge. This could be solved by the provision of a clothes horse in the lodge. A small thing but would have helped us a lot.

Child friendly plates/bowls/cups. The addition of a few non breakable cups etc would be a welcome addition. My two young kids will pretty much find a way to break anything so I went and purchased some cheap plastic stuff for them to use at meal times to save me saying 'be careful' 800 times during breakfast.

So just a few small niggles to iron out. Other than that I have only good things to say about the Hotel complex. The staff were all very friendly and the welcome when we arrived was particularly nice. The cleaning service worked well and was thorough.

I'd certainly return and St Austell/The Cornwall is a great base to see Cornwall from.

Thanks for a nice stay

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank oxfordyankee

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Cornwall. I have spoken to our Estate Manager and following your feedback we have changed the refuse collection time, thank you for bringing it to my attention. In addition, I have asked the Head of Housekeeping to look into providing clothes horses for guests and child friendly dinnerware. We hope to welcome you back again soon and thank you for taking the time to give us this feedback.

Reviewed August 2, 2011

This is a really nice hotel. It looks absolutely amazing. The room we were in was spacious, clean, very large modern bathroom. New tenniscourt and the food in the restaurant downstairs is fabulous. The staff makes you feel very much at home.

Room Tip: we booked the room via D-reizen and got a discount on the normal prices
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lilian3_11

We are delighted you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed July 31, 2011

We got a last minut deal here, booked 2 days before we were due to arrive and stayed in one of the woodland rooms, with breakfast for half price! The decor of the rooms was lovely, like the bathroom in the bedroom feel. The breakfast was tasty although would have liked more choice for vegetarians. We also felt that although generally staff were very helpful on the evening we wanted to order room service we were treated like idiots for not being able to find the room service menu in our room ( there wasnt actually one) then when we called back to reception to ask who we should leave our order with we were told we could inform them or just nip to the restaurant and tell them ourselves, which I believe deafeats the fact that we wantedd room service!
Generally a wonderful hotel, just some of the staff that let it down.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 29, 2011

We have a baby so it is hard to find a hotel to accommodate sleeping arrangements regarding a travel cot. Most hotels squeeze a travel cot in your room and we have to go to bed by 7. But we had a suite called the Clifford suite and that gave us flexibility in putting our little boy in the living area and we had our bedroom to ourselves. We had room service for our evening meal and it was lovely, nothing was too much trouble. Everything was very clean. Breakfast had so much choice and can't be faulted. We used the pool which was quiet and all was very clean. I can't fault this hotel. The best hotel I have stayed at and I have stayed in a fair few. Definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank Jackspatch1

The Clifford Suite is one of my favourite rooms too, I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and I hope we can welcome you back soon.

Reviewed July 29, 2011

Booked as a last minute internet deal. Had a deluxe room in main hotel - it was certainly smaller than I anticipated but all in very good order, and well thought out. Fantastic bed. Odd that for this price you don't get a bath, just a shower. And what a shower - I am not cool enough to be able to work it - a series of minimalist leverls and dials with no indication which is off / on or hot/ cold - and secret concealed bits you have to twizzle to get the water to come out. Same with the TV - I never did figure out how to watch it and gave up. Odd that the fancier the design, the harder things are to use. One potentially annoying thing about these rooms at the front, is that smokers gather on the terrace immediately under the window - it was summer they were open.
I was very surprised to hear negative comments about service - staff were falling over themselves to help, and I thought it was overstaffed if anything - there were never less than 2 on reception during the course of my stay.
Acorns was a bit of a disappointment foodwise - a good proportion of the fries on the first night were overcooked to the point you could not get your fork in them, and the side salad comes swimming in dressing (no choice about it, it just comes with dressing). The steak was a real disappointment and was so tough I left it - in fairness they did not charge. Service was good, breakfast very good.
The pool area was very clean and well serviced.
All in all, I would return, but would probably not pay extra for the main hotel building - having said that I didn't see the other rooms inside but they looked good from the outside.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo

I am sorry for the difficulties you experienced in your White House Luxury Room, it sounds like it was very frustrating. The Woodland Deluxe Rooms in the linked building behind the White House are larger in size as they are purpose built so are not constrained by the proportions of the period building. However, we find that the wonderful decor and beautiful period features such as fireplaces and shutters of the White House rooms make up for the slightly smaller room sizes. I do hope we can tempt you back and this time impress you with our Acorns Brasserie, I am glad we were able to rectify our mistakes on the night.

Reviewed July 28, 2011

We went as a hen party to this hotel and I wanted to make sure it was a really special weekend. The fittings and fixtures of the place were lovely; everything was clean, bright and new. The Spa was fantastic and the service there could not be faulted. Sadly it seems that the senior staff let this hotel down- when we arrived we were told that we were paying per room instead of per person (2 of the crowd had dropped out, thus leaving 1 room free) I explained to front of house that the manager was aware of our deal and asked them to check with her. They did and I was told that we were paying per room, I arranged to meet with the manager to sort this out (cancelling my treatments at the spa to do so) and I was stood up!! I went back to complain to front of house who were very apologetic; and promised that the manager would get in touch with me. She came up to my room appros 4hrs later with no word of apology, stated it was my fault for believing the reception staff!!! I cannot thank the reception staff enough for all their help during our stay; but feel extremely let down by the managers. I feel the problem with the hotel lies in "too many chiefs, and not enough indians" Shame as it could be superb.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
7 mi away
The Fowey Hotel
The Fowey Hotel
#3 of 3 in Fowey

Been to The Cornwall Hotel, Spa & Estate? Share your experiences!