“Absolutely excellent food and service!”

Watermargin Chinese Restaurant
Ranked #41 of 146 Restaurants in St Austell
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Fareham, United Kingdom
“Absolutely excellent food and service!”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

I was desperate for a Chinese meal.....so we decided to try it on a visit to St Austell. We were not disappointed. When we arrived I was a tad fearful that the night wasn't going to go too well as only one member of staff was dealing with a lot of arriving diners as well as taking takeaway orders on the phone, so we all had to stand and wait a while. However he seated everyone fast, efficiently and with a very welcoming and friendly attitude. We found out a bit later that they were a member of staff down, but they did deal with it really well throughout the evening, despite them being fairly busy for a Weds evening. The food we had was divine! Freshest of ingredients, which really stands out in the flavours and overall taste. No overload of monosodium glutamate here! We had a visit from the Owner who had come out to say hello to the diners, lovely personal touch. She is such a lovely, informative lady. It was a real pleasure to meet her. I learnt all about the benefits of dived scallops versus dredged...you could tell she was a real foodie who takes pride in the food they serve and it made me feel in safe hands and comforted to try more dishes from the menu on our return. We got to taste the "seasonal cake" which turned out to be a chocolatey affair which was so light, unlike so many chocolate/fudge cakes which weigh heavy in the tummy. It turned out the secret was that it was about 40% beetroot (I learnt so much in a short space of time!)! Amazing and if you get the chance do try it. It was a surprisingly light dessert, which I would opt for again. She even said that the next time we visit if we give some notice they would make us their Tiramisu as they believe it is also lighter and the best! I will be taking them up on that offer!

Visited March 2013

“Not Authentic”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Being of Chinese descent, I had very high expectations of this restaurant being one of the best in the county. With my mom and then fiance (now husband), we had dinner here last July and was totally disappointed with the quality of the food. It was not authentic at all and is a water downed version of what authentic Chinese food that you would eat in Hing Kong or China or even London. Their wait staff needs to be trained as they were a bit rude in taking orders and service. There were 2 waiters on a full pack evening. Totally not worth visiting again.

• Visited July 2012
United Kingdom
“PLEASANT BUT NO WOW! FACTOR”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Staff very pleasant and attentive (aside from being referred to as 'Guys' all evening by the young occident male staff - call me old fashioned), ambience a bit lacking - and food - well 'nice' is all I can think of to describe it really - yes, it was nice, but no real wow factor so that I could say we would definitely go back again. I could see how hard the Chinese lady (who was also chef) was working to make it a successful evening for everyone taking time to go around each table to talk to guests but I felt for her trying to wear so many different hats as she looked flustered and harried trying to do too many roles. She could have done with a well trained person to manage the front of house staff and guests. We had a pleasant evening but we have not felt the urge to go back again. Overall we were underwhelmed.

• Visited March 2013
St Austell, United Kingdom
“Good food”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Food was very tasty and a good selection. Have to agree with others plates are brought to table warm and are cold time food arrives. We were there on a busy night and the service was a bit slow but not too bad, did have a mistake with dessert but staff was very apologetic, however in the end cancelled dessert due to wait. Host was very gracious and did apologise due to staff shortage they were struggling. All in all food is great but service on busy nights obviously needs attention

Truro, United Kingdom
“Very slow service (due to staffing problems)”
Reviewed March 8, 2013

The restaurant was half empty, but we waited ages to order and then well over an hour for each course. The plates were hot when delivered but stone cold by the time we had any food to put on them. The poor service was attributed to a member if staff not being able to work their shift.

Will not return, as there are better restaurants nearer our home in Truro.

• Visited September 2012