“What a find!”

Ranked #40 of 96 St Austell B&B and Inns
Oxford, United Kingdom
“What a find!”
Reviewed February 17, 2011

I went with a friend to see Paolo Nutini at the Eden Project and was struggling to find reasonably priced accommodation, all the hostels had been booked up and even the few that did have places were unfeasible to get to after around 11. After hours of searching I found this place on the internet, it had excellent reviews and Ray was kind enough to let us stay for one night in the middle of the week during the holiday season! Ray was very nice, always ready for a chat - seeing as all of us who had stayed that night had gone to see Paolo we had quite a long talk about music, and he was very interesting. The breakfast was amazing and the room was comfortable, well-decorated and in great condition. At just £30 per head for a twin room with an en-suite and breakfast it felt like a bit of a steal, and let's not forget the gorgeous and friendly dog! It really felt like a home from home, and we only stayed for one night! I really couldn't ask for anything else from our visit, and would highly recommend it to anyone. If I ever go to St Austell again, I know exactly where I'll be staying.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank HannahG_92

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Lapworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 15, 2011

Being a small, family-run B&B, the owner cannot be available at all times to welcome guests. Knowing this, they thoughfully provided instructions on gaining entry to the establishment in the event of their absence. On-site, off-road parking for three or four vehicles is available. Enquiry was made about requirements for breakfast and at what time.

The room was comfortable and well appointed, with ample towels, additional pillows, duvet, etc. I had chosen this B&B in part because of my need to use a laptop in the mornings/evenings and have access the the internet.

Sedgemoor Heights is located within a few minutes walking distance of the centre of St Austell which, being a smaller, medium sized town, has a selection of banks, the usual high street stores and a number of restaurants of various kinds. I wanted something simple so used the small restaurant attached to a fish and chip shop, which also did a number of other dishes.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Walsall, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 29, 2010

We fell upon the B&B quite by accident while looking for somewhere to stay. When I rang the bell there was a friendly welcome from both the owner and his dog. The room was clean and tidy and we were given advice on where to eat in town and how to get there. It was only a short walk. In the morning there was a fantastic cooked breakfast and more information on places to see locally. The only fault was that my partner did not have a very good night sleep. But, I was informed that was due to me fidgeting so not the fault of the B&B.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
UK
Reviewed August 29, 2010

Stayed at Sedgemoor Heights in August with my wife and 2 children ( 10 & 12) as we were in Cornwall to visit Eden and on our way further down the county

Stayed for 2 Nights and couldnt really fault Sedgemoor as it was clean and comfortable and very relaxed.

Ray was excellent and very friendly and nothing was too much bother..he was also helpfull and his local knowledge helped us save money on Eden entry and directed us to a fantastic Indian Restaurant ( The Gurkha)..

Breakfast was very good..you put your order on a blackboard and the time you want it in the morning ( nice touch).

Nice individual rooms and the Nursery ( Familly room) was very spacious and a nice place to stay..Great little courtyard which would have been good to sit in if the rain wasnt so bad

My children wanted to take the Dog home as it was so friendly

Cant recommend it highly enough and a host like Ray makes all the difference

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 24, 2010

Quite shabby looking, tired. The Maid's Room is dark and small - huge gap under door, which didn't shut, you had to lock it to keep it closed. The wardrobe is an alcove with a curtain across. The walls are orange anaglypta with tacky cross stitch on the walls. 2 single pine beds, very thin and a mattress that resembled something from a travel cot. The bedding felt damp, and was tasteless in quality. There were 2 cushions on the bed, sitting on the pillows as part of the decor, and they were soiled, and didn't match. The towels were VERY old and VERY crisp, all mis-matched.

Ray wasn't particularly welcoming at all, told us our room wasn't ready after our journey of 3 hours, (we were never told what time the room would be ready anyway, so thought by mid-day perhaps we could 'check-in'). He wasn't very presentable, scruffy jeans and unshaven and I'm sorry for seeming rude, but to me that was not acceptable. I would say that my standards are fairly high, but also realistic.

When we did eventually go to our room, Ray wasn't there, and I simply couldn't imagine staying there and feeling comfortable in a damp thin bed, shoddy bedding that my granny wouldn't even use, so we left. GOODBYE!!

I'm also not familiar with Cornwall too much - having been to St Ives I feel I've been spoilt. It is fab, trendy, quirky, clean, quaint etc. St Austell is not pretty in the slightest, grey and colourless. Charlestown was pretty, but nothing there to do. Eden Project was fab - great value for money and such a great day out. Newquay, we discovered, is lovely and vibrant in parts and quite dismal in others ... the far end near Fiscal Beach is pretty amazing.

I've never written on Trip Advisor before, but felt it necessary this time. Sorry Ray and Sedgemoor Heights - but you're not as good as some of your reviews make out - or perhaps other 'guests' are not as particular.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
stayherecornwall, Owner at Sedgemoor Heights, responded to this review, September 20, 2010
I am sorry these visitors found so much to compain about.
Please be assured I would have done all I could to deal with these points had they raised them at the time.
May I add the beds are "normal", 3 foot single beds, only 3 weeks old, and the good quality Slumberland matresses are less than 18 months old.
I also wish to say I am sorry the room was not ready at midday as I was not expecting guests to arrive so early. But, as I always do, I gave them the opportunity to leave their luggage and take their keys to access the room later in the day. I will try my best to work more quickly in the future.
Finally, I apologise for wearing my well worn Levi 401's at midday in my own home whilst cleaning the rooms, including the one they did not approve of and had the audacity to be out when they returned later that afternoon. I will dress more smartly in future and not go out so much.
Retford, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 16, 2010

great location only a few miles from the Eden Project and easy access to the Hidden Gardens of Heligan. We stayed two days and I must say the breakfast set us up for our trips. In fact we didn't have to eat again until the evening. If you like Indian food there is a great place, "the Gurkha", within walking distance and I highly recommend a visit.

There were some nice touches with kids drawings of the owners dog - Blue, and beautiful aspect from the dining room across St Austell. Very comfortable, TV good shower etc. etc.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 6, 2010

I stayed at Sedgemoor Heights B & B in July for one night as I had to make a visit to a local school. I travelled from Birmingham early evening and arrived late into St Austell. Ray, the owner, was extremely accommodating on my arrival and as all the shops were closed he provided me with complimentary refreshments and helped me organise my route for the next day. My room was lovely, clean and characteristic of Cornwall. The ensuite was spotless. He cooks a mean English Breakfast and the house is a lovely little hideaway on the hillside. I would definitely return - preferably for a holiday!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business