The Gables Guest House
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Restaurant
The White Hart(St Austell)
View Hotel
The Carlyon Bay(St Austell)
View Hotel
All reviewstwo night stayhome from homefudgeconservatory overlookingeden projectfull englishfeel very welcomerooms are lovelybusy roadseparate bathroomon arrivalshort drivelocal areabarbaramikelabradoodlemevagissey
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 8, 2012

If you want a proper family-run guest house, where you get lovely, caring and friendly hospitality, and where you feel relaxed enough to go and turn a lamp on and sit in the conservatory area on your laptop at midnight on the free wifi, then you have found it!

Breakfast was excellent - great selection of continental; fresh toast brought to you; and a nice cooked breakfast prepared personally for you.

Our room was a twin as requested, and whilst it couldn't be described as spacious, it was more than sufficient and well organised, and the private bathroom was directly opposite the bedroom door; and again, it was not big, but compact and totally as required.

Both the bedroom and the bathroom were spotlessly clean. The gardens were lovely also.

Parking was free, and whilst it is on a relatively busy road, I don't recall being disturbed by the traffic noise at all. If you are wanting to stay in St Austell, then this is a good base and very close to where you'd be wanting to go.

I am sure one could find a more spacious room for a similar price elsewhere nearby if you tried, but you'd be most hard-pushed to find service and hospitality quite so charming and friendly. Thank you to Barbara and Michael for their efforts.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Arrived at the Gables, St Austell and went to check in. Was given a warm welcome from Barbara and Michael, the owners of the guest house. We was shown our room and the adjacent bathroom solely for our use. Both my husband and myself found our room very comfortable, wish we could have a bed like it. Everything we possibly could need it was there, hair dryer, tea making facilities, tv and even bathrobes. We had our room tidied, cleaned each day and a fresh bottle of water in our room. The room and bathroom were both very beautifully decorated. The heating regularly came on in the morning and then in the evening. There was an extra special touch to things. Shower mat rolled and a flower sprigg attached around. Forgot my bath hat, there was one fresh in a packet there. A menu given each evening for the mornings' breakfast and a good selection to chose from. All freshly cooked and locally sourced. Fruit, cereals, yogurt and toast also. First thing in the morning we was asked how we slept (like babies) The one main thing I will always remember about our stay is how friendly Barbara and Michael are. Nothing is too much trouble for them. They take you into their home and they make sure you will have a good stay. We will be returning, we feel we are lucky to have found The Gables. Thank you Barbara and Michael.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 28, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at this guest house at the end of August. We arrived early and was allowed to leave the car but was told to come back at 3.30 to check in.

I was greeted warmly when I did go back at the correct time after having walked into town and back a few hours later. We had inadvertantly booked the room that is not ensuite, but this was not an issue as we had sole use of the bathroom across the hallway.

I would say that the room was on the small size but it was perfectly clean, tidy and tastefully decorated. There were nice touches with a bottle of water and a tin with small biscuits in, but these were a bit soft.

The smallish room is dominated by a large old fashioned type bed which I feel if this was changed to a bed without a bottom end it would make the room feel much bigger, give a little more room for manoeuvre and give an option to sit on the end of the bed as there was only one chair. Although the bed was comfortable the metal frame of the bed proved noisy when moving at all preventing a good nights sleep.

Check out we were told was 10.30 and there seemed to be no negotiation about this and breakfast was served between 8 an 9 am. We therefore missed out on a bit of a lie in after not a great night sleep. I was disappointed to have not been asked how we'd slept. Breakfast was reasonable and we were given a few choices the day before. The food was nice, we had pancakes and the full English breakfast. I was disappointed that there was no toast offered to the table just with selected options and I did not feel I could ask for it. There was a few cereal and fruit options in addition to your main dish.

We were weary of the mentions of the owners bring a little too intrusive. We were called 'treasure' and I a 'good girl', which we took in the way we assumed they were intended. I can see why some maybe offended.

I would add that it was about a 15 minute walk to the town from the guest house, partially up hill. There is parking available but is a squeeze particularly if all guests have average sized cars. I thought it was a bit if a shame that some more of the garden is not dedicated to parking. Whilst this looks pretty, I felt that it would have been better for the guests as we were a bit nervous that we would be blocked in or the car damaged by the closeness of the parking. The bushes outside could do with a cut as well as we had to walk on the road when coming in and out which is not the best welcome.

We probably wouldn't stay again if we were visiting in the area again. It was a bit on the expensive side for what we got and we did not have a great night sleep.

• Stayed: August 2012
Barbara T, Owner at The Gables Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2012

Check-in times are on your booking companys confirmation that you booked through, which is 3.30-9p.m. and not lunch time, when we are still servicing the rooms. Check-out time is at 10.30a.m. also told to you on your confirmation forms, also in your room in your information file; which you have taken a photo of at the end of the bed. Breakfast time is 8-9a.m. and you could have come down at 9a.m. for yours, but you decided to come down earlier, that of course was your choice.

You are given a Cooked Breakfast form the night before to fill in, there is quite a lot of choices from: Full English, Veg., English, Pancakes, Fish Cakes, Various cooked eggs on toast. On the Buffet Bar there are a choice of four cereals, Fresh fruit e.g. bananas, oranges, apples and grapes. Also, Fat-free yoghurt, saltanas, Chilled Milk and Chilled Orange Juice.

When you came down for breakfast, you were asked how you slept and was everything alright for you both, which you said, lovely, thank you. You were shown the Buffet Bar and you were asked if you would like Teas or Coffees; when you were ready for your main course, you were offered if you would like your toast with your mains or after, never, have we not given guests their toast, unless they do not wish to have any.

Everyone else that has slept in that bed has never said that it makes a noise and couldnt sleep the night, quite the opposite and guests have even written down the name of the bed to be able to purchase one. The metal framed bed is the style we choose for 2x of our rooms, to be within keeping of the age of the property; the beds are not old, they are new, just the style is old.

All 4x of our rooms are different, from a 4 poster king size bed with en-suite, Twin singles/ Super king size double, Standard double room with en-suite to your Standard double room with own private ajacent shower room, which makes us stand out from the rest. We are a small guest house, not a large hotel. We are a happy couple and try to make guests feel comforable and enjoy their stay, obviously, you didnt like the way we are, maybe you would enjoy a larger place, like a Hotel, where you are not really spoken to very often and not have that personal touch and have a much bigger room with several chairs.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

Just returned from a weekend with Barbara and Mike. Fantastic hosts making us feel extremely welcome. The house is in a superb position with an outlook over St Austell. Handy base for all of our favourite haunts along the coast there. The room was spotless and perfect for our needs. Looking forward to being able to go back again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I can't speak highly enough about this guest house! We stayed for two nights for my fiancé to attend an interview ! We asked for the use of the iron but Barbara went the extra mile and presented him with a beautifully ironed shirt ! MIke and Barbara make you feel so welcome and can't do enough for you ! If like me your so fussy about accommodation I can tell you this is your place ! Great location , great breakfast , great people ! I can't wait to go back and see mike and Barbara ! They made our stay fantastic!

• Stayed: September 2012