“A tour de force-lucky locals!”
Review of Austell's - CLOSED

Austell's
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Austell's is an open planned restaurant with a raised level eating area for the guests to view the chefs working! We pride ourselves in innovative cuisine with an informal, relaxed service!
Reviewed May 3, 2014

I wonder if the locals realise what a treasure of a restaurant and chef they have on their doorstep?
We had booked this restaurant for 2 visits during our week in Cornwall but after the first wonderful meal decided that we had to add an extra booking and on every one of our 3 meals we ate like royalty. The first visit saw us start with the lightest and most delicious mustard and potato bread with dips ( and as a real peasant I could have eaten this all night long !) which was followed for myself by beautiful crab risotto croquettes while my other half had the ham hock with set pea cream which was very good. My main course was haddock on crushed peas with mushrooms and leeks in a white wine sauce with dauphinois potatoes wonderful and light yet packed with flavour. My other half was meanwhile raving about his steak stuffed with asparagus and a sweet and spicy onion marmalade and in particular the wild garlic mash. The pudding course for me was a poppyseed pancake stuffed with lemon curd cream cheese mousse accompanied by raspberry compote and sorbet, which I loved. My husband had a rhubarb and amaretto trifle which he wolfed down but not before I tried it and agreed it was fab. Our second visit was for the " pie" night a very humble description of some amazing culinary skills. Our starter was a devine wild garlic soup- you can forget any thoughts of heavy over strong garlic this was delicate and fragrant and I didn't want it to end ( I had it again on our last visit) followed by a roast chicken and mushroom pie with Madeira which had us asking for spoons at the end so that we wouldn't waste a single drop of the fantastic sauce. I had the same dessert as previous but realised when I tried my husband's sticky toffee dessert I'd missed a blinder. The final visit saw us try the tasting menu which had some favourites from earlier in the week with other added little gems- if you want to know how good it was you'll have to try it for yourselves. For us it will be worth the 250 mile trip to dine here again.

Reviewed May 2, 2014

Having checked Tripadvisor for a nice place to eat near St. Austell, we picked the Austell and were certainly not disappointed. Everything from start to finish was superb. The warm welcome was great and the whole experience was faultless. Contrary to Cornwall B, I thought the pigeon sausage was very tasty. We also welcomed the explanation of the dishes and close attention to detail by all the staff. The plaice and haddock main courses were delicious and it was clear that a lot of thought and care had gone into their content and presentation.
Unfortunately we had to leave early to travel home but would have liked to stay to enjoy desserts.
Austell is a really nice place to dine in and thoroughly deserves its' top rating.

Reviewed May 1, 2014

An excellent meal, beautifully served with great attention to detail. The staff were charming and very helpful. The location didn't look that upmarket, but don't be put off - we couldn't recommend more highly. Great value for money.

Reviewed April 29, 2014

We have always enjoyed not only the food at Austells but the staff and Bretts attention to all his customers, despite running service at the same time.
We run our own 5* Business in Cornwall and recommend Austells to our guests whether its just an evening out or for a special occasion, and without fail, every single guest, and many many of our guests do dine out here, tells us over breakfast the next morning "better than Rick Steins" "if only we had Austells in our town/city" "we would pay twice this at home" "Brett and his staff deserve many congratulations" "we just loved every aspect of it" "the staff are all so friendly and attentive" and more... After a year of running our own successful business not a single guest has had a negative comment to say about Austells, Brett and his lovely welcoming staff.
We are foodies ourselves and are very selective as to where we recommend to our guests as we wish them to have an enjoyable all round experience of Cornwall limiting negative surprises and Austells never fails to deliver.
We both eat at Austells when we fancy not cooking/taking visiting friends out for a meal/any occasion/no occasion from two courses to all courses and leave every time with happy stomachs and happy wallets and happy faces.
Keep up the fantastic work Austells Team and thank you for delivering every time to every guest of ours and us as well. See you again very soon

Reviewed April 28, 2014 via mobile

I visited here with friends last week as a treat , considering the reviews I was really looking forward to my evening . I started with the wood pigeon sausage.The garlic foam and mushrooms where pleasant but the wood pigeon itself was lacking flavour . My main of pork belly and scallops I thoroughly enjoyed and would happily return just for the main! For dessert I had the salted caramel parfait which was lovely; minus the banana milkshake which I found inedible . The staff where friendly , although a little to attentive with topping up water every 5 minutes . Working in a Michelin star restaurant myself , I also found the explanation of every dish a little much; but the staffs knowledge is obviously very good . Overall I had an average evening , but I loved my main course so thank you.

bradcapa, Manager at Austell's, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2014

Thankyou so much for your fair comments! I'm sorry that Austells disappointed you!