“'Magic' Birthday treat!”
Review of Austell's - CLOSED

Austell's
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Austell's is an open planned restaurant with a raised level eating area for the guests to view the chefs working! We pride ourselves in innovative cuisine with an informal, relaxed service!
Gloucester, United Kingdom
“'Magic' Birthday treat!”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

A friendly welcome and good communication skills between diners and themselves. Delicious, well presented food made
this a great choice for a birthday get-together whilst we were holidaying in the area. And a great bonus a free drink for the birthday person, well done to all the staff for making this a memorable occasion

Visited September 2013

Ghent, Belgium
“Great food at fair prices!”
Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

We decided to end our Cornwall experience with a nice meal in Austell's. When our taxi dropped us of we thought we ended up in the wrong place as it is positioned at the end of a row of takeaways. We were greeted at the door which is always nice. I'm not a big fan of their interior, it looks like they went shopping in Wilco's and it's definitely something they could work on. But we were there for the food. I can be short: the food is amazing! It is everything you hope for from a restaurant that is number 1 in Cornwall and all that for a decent price. We paid 80 pounds for starters (crab canneloni, fried goats cheese), mains (duck and gnocchi), desserts (tart and brownie) and a bottle of wine. Great experience, so if you like good food go to Austell's if not ... there's the takeaway next door ...

Aberdeen
“Service and food excellent”
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Table was decorated for my sisters birthday, and she received a complimentary glass of champagne - nice touch. Food was really good and the service was attentive without being intrusive. We had a lovely bottle of chateauneuf du pape, the second bottle (served in clean glasses) was a different year and really not as nice as the first bottle. This was not an issue for the staff who simply asked if we would like to order another wine. Prices were also fair. We had a thoroughly lovely evening, well done to all the staff and chef.

Solihull, United Kingdom
“Fantastic”
Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

From the outside this restaurant looks like it's nothing special, but it's far from that. From the minute you walk in through the door you realise it's something very special. The staff were friendly, helpful and welcoming. The food was the best I have ever tasted. The Crab Cannelloni starter really was the most amazing dish I've ever eaten. If we lived closer we'd be here on a very regular basis. This is nothing short of 5* food, service without any pretentiousness or over pricing. If you're in the area this is a must visit. Thank you too all the staff for a very memorable night.

Visited August 2013
Leeds, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wow, what a meal!”
Reviewed September 11, 2013

We were in Cornwall on holiday and having seen some great reviews on Tripadvisor decided to book a table at Austell's to celebrate my wife's birthday.
I used the on-line booking system on the restaurant's website and wasn't expecting a personal email to confirm the booking but had a very friendly email exchange with Emma, the restaurant manager, who really did set the tone for what was to come.
When we arrived at the restaurant, like a number of other reviewers, we were initially unimpressed with the location. The retaurant is on the end of a very ordinary looking parade of shops but we were more interested in what the restaurant had to offer rather than what the exterior looked like so in we went.
We were invited to have a drink at the bar while our table was prepared and over a drink my wife and I were discussing her birthday and how we had spent the day. A member of Emma's team nust have overheard us because when we were shown to our table it had been discreetly decorated with 'Happy Birthday' confetti. The restuarant had no advance warning of my wife's birthday and it was a realy nice touch.
And so to the meal! Not sure where to begin. Our starters of Cornish crab cannelloni and verrine of Terras farm duck were amazing. My wife raved about the crab cannelloni with the most fantastic crab bisque and the range of flavours and textures in the verrine of duck were a delight.
My main course of confit of pork belly is probably one of the best main courses I've ever had. The meat was meltingly tender and full of flavour and the crispy, caramelised skin atop the meat had just the right amount of crunch to compliment the tender meat. My wife had the baked haddock fillet and loved it.
The restaurant staff were equally great. They were well informed about the menu and helped my wife with her choice and were friendly and attentive throughout the meal.
If you're in Cornwall then a meal at Austell's is a 'must'. My only regret is that we live over 300 miles away and won't be able to become regulars
Thanks to Brett and Emma for a great meal and a great dining experience.