“A Foodie's Dream”
Review of Austell's - CLOSED

Austell's
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Austell's is an open planned restaurant with a raised level eating area for the guests to view the chefs working! We pride ourselves in innovative cuisine with an informal, relaxed service!
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Situated in comfortable store front space this place is terrific. Just when I was really tired of overblown gastro-pub fare and over-the-top rich, poorly conceived restaurant food, we ate at Austell's. I was reminded that the British gasto-revolution had not gone completely awry. The food was excellent, creative, and made with fresh ingredients. I wasn't in the mood for any of the starter choices so asked the chef to make me a salad with the proviso, "surprise me"... and he did! It was interesting in both texture and flavor. The service is excellent.

2  Thank naomi n

996 - 1,000 of 1,247 reviews

Reviewed February 16, 2013

What can I say!! This was honestly the best meal out I have ever had! The service was fantastic, really freindly and professional staff, fantastic atmosphere, and you could see the food was cooked with real passion!! Worth every penny. In fact the food was created, not just cooked! I'll be back as often as I can, and it's only on my doorstep - fantastic! If you haven't been, go, cos you're missing out!!

1  Thank CornwallCath
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Always exceeding our expectations the Valentine's menu at Austells was no exception, it was fantastic. A wonderful way to try a medley of amazing food. This is a dinner party you could never do at home so let Brett at Austells seduce your taste buds. Front of house Emma makes every diner feel special and welcome and the restaurant atmosphere is relaxed and fun whilst maintaining a high professional standard. We have already booked our next visit in a fortnight and can't wait to return.

1  Thank Dodders007
Reviewed February 15, 2013

We visited for dinner last Thursday....whilst staying at The Cornwall Hotel. So a week night, as a result not overly busy but I got the feeling the lovely, friendly, welcoming staff would be exactly that even if rushed off their feet. It was a very relaxed affair, first sitting at the bar area for a drink (we were a tad early) whilst perusing the menu.

Whilst waiting we were given complimentary olives, home made bread, olive oil and balsamic glaze to nibble on. I had the home made soup for starters (off the old 2012 menu so may not be available for long), with some of their divine home made bread. So tasty, so fresh and recommended. My main course was the vegetarian option of red pepper pastry....it was a mousse consistency between layers of flaky pastry, served with potato dauphinois...all thoroughly delicious. My partner had the lamb and was so complimentary about the whole dish. All tasted like the freshest of ingredients were used. So filling! Due to the portions I couldn't manage a desert.....but I did manage to taste some of my partners which was the divine creme brûlée. Our glasses were discreetly re-filled throughout our meal by the ever attentive waitresses.

As other reviewers have commented, if you didn't know any better you probably wouldn't bother when seeing that it is in a row of fairly non-description businesses in a little layby in a residential road! But it is in your interest to pay a visit for some wonderful food and service.

1  Thank LibbyOliver
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Austells is a restaurant which delivers every time. The food is superb and beautifully presented by Brett, the chef. The service is warm, welcoming and professional and the place is clean and fresh. This restaurant so deserves a Michelin star, and I am sure will get one soon. If you enjoy excellent food at sensible prices then look no further. Austells is one of the reasons we visit Cornwall so often. Spread the word - this is a gem that should not be missed.