“OK stay” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #44 of 98 St Austell B&B and Inns
Preston, Lancs
“OK stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2012

When we booked I knew that we would not have an ensuite (which we normally do when staying away from home). I have to say we will ensure that we do have an ensuite in future - my DH did not like having to use the shared toilet. The room itself was ok but the tv was hard to work. Staff did eventually come and sort it for us - they were very busy in the bar downstairs.
When we arrived there was a street party going on, so we couldnt get to the car park. It would have been helpful if the pub had informed us of this before we arrived as we had to go all round the houses to park anywhere near the pub until they opened the street again at 6pm.
Also it was a taxi ride into town to get something to eat as there had been a kitchen fire, so no food available. Breakfast was very hit and miss as the landlady was called away and there didnt seem to be any organisation.

Room Tip: get a room with ensuite!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank JillyTPreston_Lancs

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2012

The room was spotless, the staff couldn't be friendlier and the breakfast was good. Overall a very good value for money.

Oh - The bed was one of the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank BrenikaLondon
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2011

Taking my mother on a five day trip to Cornwall could have been difficult - she's 87. However, the day we left I hurt my back and it was me who was a problem for the whole trip. Luckily, I'd booked us into the Duke of Cornwall Pub. I did this because I wanted not to have to take her out each night to eat. The owner managers were great, helpful and obliging when I needed assistance, recommended places nearby for the day I hadn't planned and happy to stop for a chat if they weren't busy. We had a lovely room with a little en suite but also use of the beautiful bathroom - great to soak my poor back! The restaurant food was good, honest pub grub and on the one occasion I wasn't happy with it, they took it straight back. A very comfy bed and bus stops outside the door to get you to and from the station made this the perfect spot for us. I'd recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank JacquiP01
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2011

The hotel was spotless, the food was plentiful and fantastic. The staff were so helpful and friendly they couldnt do enough for us. Great location for visiting the Eden project, the only thing I found odd was the shared toilet. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed October 2011
Grays Thurrock, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2011

stayed 11th to 15th September.Accomodation was very comfortable even though we did not have a full en suite and shared the toilet in the main bathroom with one or two other rooms.The owners Debbie and Anthea and all their staff were very helpful and nothing was too much trouble, and my wife and I will definitely return. Thankyou all.
Nigel and Pat

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2011

I must agree with Helen2502 the food/service in the establishment was absolutely Great, the Staff were extremely freindly and very welcoming as were the patrons, we stayed in the same B&B as Helen2502 so we also spent a considerable amount of time in the Duke of Cornwall for the very same reason. The Sunday Carvery was fantastic, all meals were very good value too. A Hearty Thank you to all the Staff for making us feel so comfortable.
I would also suggest putting the restaurant itself on Trip Advisor. Well worth visiting, you can't go wrong with this Place.

Room Tip: Unfortunately we did not stay here, wish we had.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2011

We did not stay here so I can't rate the accommodation, however it was the nearest pub to our B&B so we spent a fair bit of time in the bar. The staff were very friendly and hospitable. We ate in the restaurant on Saturday night and expected bog standard pub food but it was of a superb standard. The steaks were of excellent quality and the puddings were fantastic. I would suggest putting the restaurant separately from the B&B on Trip Advisor.

Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends