February in Cornwall, rain, fog, cold, miserable....sounds like a recipe for disaster. However, if you can spend all day with a paint brush and then wait on tables all evening and keep a smile and an air of jollity then you may understand how this establishment works. True, it is obviously work in progress; true, it is somebody's dreams and ambitions, but what they have achieved so far is commendable.
Our room was clean and simply but tastefully decorated, with a very pleasant view over the garden which would have been a delight to explore had the weather been more clement. Our en suite bathroom was indeed compact, which may not suit everyone, but was adequate for the purpose and clean. True, there may be the odd little grumble such as only one tiny tablet of soap provided and no chair in the room, but it's not because the hosts are not caring but simply that they cannot do everything at once and are obviously working very hard.
We stayed for 3 nights and ate here each evening. We were very impressed with the standard of food and its presentation. Of particular note to us was the whitebait, excellent!
It is obvious a lot of effort is being made to improve the Waterwheel Inn and if it all comes to fruition, we may have to book well in advance! We wish them well.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Waterwheel is situated in a wooded valley beside a river. We offer bed and breakfast accommodation in our fourteen en-suite bedrooms. In the evenings guests can have a drink in the licensed bar and eat in the on-site elegant restaurant, or a 10 minute brisk walk will take them into St Austell town centre. There is a delightful terrace and garden to explore and an ancient well, Druid's chair and waterfall at the bottom of the garden. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Travelocity and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Waterwheel Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Waterwheel Hotel St Austell
- The Waterwheel Inn St Austell, Cornwall