“Nice Little Hotel”

The Rosemundy House Hotel
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in St Agnes
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Staff and food excellent - more attention could be paid to small things - TV remote needed batteries, pillows very flat and hard, water in basin and shower took a long time to either get to temperature or change - but none of these are deal-breakers - overall the experience was definitely pleasing, and I will use them again if in the area

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Bev H

Reviewed August 28, 2012

Yet another enjoyable stay at the rosemundy.The food was still at a good standard.My only fault was that on one night I asked if I could have the roast but with the salad bar as i had been on the salad most nights.( I was bluntly told that was not allowed) Apart from that I couldnt complain as the rest of the staff were really friendly and helpful.Even on the night I asked if i could have some fresh fruit instead of the desert.
Standards everywhere else was to a very high standard that I have gotten use to from this friendly and hospitable hotel.
If staying in this part of the world the hotel is in a great location for getting round Cornwall.St Agnus is just a short walk but the area is hilly for some beware.
Its not every hotel that has croquet on the lawn and the pool is refreshing after a hard day sight seeing.Would I recommend this hotel the answer would be YES 100% even if it ruins the chance for me to keep it a lovely little hide away.I cant wait to get sent there again looking forward to it

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank stevethecoachie
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Spent seven days at this hotel recently and had no complaints.

We arrived two hours late due to a mechanical problem with the coach but were wecolmed by Sharon and her staff and nothing was too much trouble for the friendly efficient staff for the duration of our stay.

We were given a four poster room which was clean and comfortable overlooking a walled garden.

The food in the restaurant was good with plenty of choice for each course and if you couldn`t find anything to suit on the main course there was the option to have a salad from a good selection on the cold buffet.

The hotel is situated in a quiet area in the village and is an ideal base for touring the area.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Ed B
Reviewed August 1, 2012

We heard of this hotel from friends on a coach trip who were staying.there. I contacted the hotel (Sharon, the manageress) to see how we could join our friends for dinner. The contact and subsequent dealings could not have been better. We were sent a copy of the menu for the night we would be there so that we could pick items that my disabled wife would be able to eat.

When we arrived a portable ramp had been fitted so we could go straignt into the restaurant area where a table had been set up for our party to sit together. ( normally arrangemets are made for coach parties to sit together, and we had a small room off the main restaurant, where we could see what was going on , but had some privacy for a "good old natter". The table had one chair removed and was set up so that a wheelchair could be pushed straight in

There is a good choice on the table d'hote menu and adjustments were made to suit my wife's eating ability.The food was excellent and was served on hot plates. The chicken was the most moist we had ever eaten out. The service was superb and the waiter was most attentive. He even knew that my wife had made special menu choices. There was no rushing, or delay with the courses, and the waiter talked just enough for us to know he was there,and that he cared about doing his job to the best of his ability.

Sharon, the Manageress, could not have been more helpful, and I would suggest that anyone with doubts about the suitabllity of the hotel should give her a ring, or conat by e-mail as I did.

It was a very pleasant evening, and could not have been a better environment to meet very dear old friends

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank alanhardy
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Just returned home from staying at this hotel with a mixed review... My bedrooms decor was all very mismatch and contained a couple of cobwebs..made the mistake of pulling the bed out after dropping an earring on the floor lets just say you could sneeze from the dust.. near enough every morning my corridor smelt of smoke..Also my frinds were in rm 27 and they could hear someone elses telly over theirs. On the plus side the resataurant staff were always happy and nothing was too much trouble, as well the food fantastic but found toast abit hit and miss at breakfast (either burnt or like warm bread) but the full english made up for it. Would definately visit the hotel again but for an evening meal only... certainly not to stay

Room Tip: dont pick rm 27 ... would recommend an upgrade for a bigger room
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank alison c
Reviewed July 15, 2012

My impressions of the AA 3* Rosemundy House Hotel, reception is pleasant hotel which tries to have an 'ye olde world' feeling but doesn't quite hit the mark. My room, a single overlooking the pool, appears to be 'tired' in parts and could do with a spruce-up, bathroom appears to be clean on the surface but on closer inspection cobwebs can be found in areas. It appears on the outside this room is little used.

I would also suggest the room lacked any suitable soundproofing, the many and varied nocturnal noises from other guests could quite clearly be heard.

Access to the room is via a long corridor but there doesn't seem to be any order to the room numbers. My room was located on the ground floor which was fortunate as there's no lift to the upper floors which I believe should be a necessity in a hotel that caters for a clientele made up of mainly elderly people on coach tours.

For all the disappointment with the room, I have to say the evening meals were prepared to a high standard and the waiting staff were all enthusiastic and always had a smile.

Adjacent to the dining room was the small bar which required negotiating a couple of steps which would be ok in normal circumstance except when you have to consider elderly or disabled guests.

Overall the first impressions of Rosemundy House Hotel is one of excellent service let down by issues with my room but made up with superb food. The only downside is the apparent lack of disabled facilities.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank drag0n98
Reviewed July 14, 2012

We shall start with our first impression, I was tripped by a muddy green rug upon entry, not terribly in keeping with the red carpet I might add. Reception was dim and dusty. Upon entry to our room, the first thing I did, as with all hotels was move the net curtain to see my view for the week. Only to be met with dust and dead insects. The room was small and decorated with a mix match set of poor quality furniture. A seat bottom actually fell out in our friends room and was shodderly put back together with a piece of wood. The shower was appaling. I did bring this up at reception to be told there, "was a knack to it". There is no knack, although being told we would have to let it run for ten minutes before use, after thirty I gave up. The one day it was warm enough the pressure dropped halfway through, so much so I had to get out and rinse my hair in the sink. There was a tea tray in the room which was nice and included hot choclate and biscuits a very welcome treat after the awful weather. However the teapot was stained inside and the kettle looked older than myself. There was a hairdryer in the room but I didnt dare to touch mine, as it was covered in some sort of sticky mess. My friend had the same problem. She did bring it up with reception, and it was replaced. I chose to suffer in silence as had already complained a couple of times.
There is a pool table at the hotel which seemed like a fun after dinner activity, however it only just fits in the room it has been allocated. Which appears to be more of a dumping ground for spare tables and chairs. Its difficult to play when the cue hits chairs or failing that the wall every time you try.
On the up side, the hotel had a heated outdoor pool which we werent informed about so was a nice surprise, although as outdoor and given the weather we did not get to use.
Also to mention that the hotel itself serves sandwiches at lunch time, which they do not advertise, but made for a preferable option to walking up the very big hill to the main village.
The dining room was our fabourite place, it was filled with a nice atmosphere, pleasant, but not overpowering music and fantastic food. The waitresses were an asset, pleasant, polite and very helpful when we asked about the village etc. They were all constantly smiling even when we had breakfast at half past seven in the morning. They clearly enjoy their work and it really helps to make the dining experience.
The breakfasts were also worth mentioning, a proper english breakfast sets you up for the day. It was all fresh produce and with real butchers sausages, we actually bought some to take home. Along with pasties from the local bakery which were worth the trip on their own.
Overall the holiday was good, the village was charming, but I wouldn't return.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
0 mi away
No photo provided
Mellowvean
#11 of 12 in St Agnes

Been to The Rosemundy House Hotel? Share your experiences!