“Can't wait to go back!”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in St Agnes
Bishops Stortford, England, United Kingdom
“Can't wait to go back!”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Had a great weekend in the St. Agnes hotel when visiting friends for a birthday party.
From the moment we arrived we were made feel welcome by the friendly staff and owners who could not do enough for us!

The bedroom (2) was spacious, freshly decorated and the new ensuite was spotlessly clean.
The breakfast - included in the very reasonable price - was delicious, with lots of locally sourced ingredients.
We ate at the hotel on our second night and had a great home cooked meal in the bar.

St. Agnes itself is a lovely little place with lots of character and lots to do locally.

Overall, our experience in St Agnes and at the St Agnes hotel was very positive and we can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: We liked room 2.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

The owner, Bill, seems friendly enough and the young staff are hard working and friendly, but two nights running noisy inconsiderate people were ruining our sleep at 2 in the morning. When we called out for them to be quiet, one said "it's a pub mate! What did you expect?" Another said, "is that Bill? "
Then when we checked out our bill was £130-00 to much!!!
We are wondering if there are much nicer places to stay, and when we come back we will find out.

• Stayed May 2013
Freckleton, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Working in the area with a colleague and from being up north we was looking for a good pint to finish the day, we went into the St. Agnes Hotel and received a warm welcome from the landlord. The ale we selected was one of the nicest I have tasted in the area and will be calling again on our next visit in a few months, the food we saw looked equally as good but we had already eaten.
Congratulations on keeping excellent beers !!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Epsom, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 13, 2013

This is a charming local hotel with lots of character and staff who could not have been more helpful and welcoming. In the centre of the village, a short walk from the sea, the hotel is well placed to explore the beautiful countryside and coast. The bar is comfortable with a good selection of local beers. My room was bright and airy, well equipped and comfortable. It had a great view of the church, although sleeping beyond 09.30 on a Sunday would have been difficult. Except for a hearty breakfast I did not eat at the hotel, but the menu looked good and I will next time.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the church.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Stayed here for a couple of nights recently. This is a very friendly establishment with hands on owners. The room was good, overlooking the St Agnes village church. Bed was a little creaky but we still got a good night's sleep. The Cornish breakfast was very good indeed and included something called 'hogs pudding' which I had never eaten before.
Although we didn't take our dog, it is certainly a dog friendly establishment. There are 2 resident dogs which are no bother whatsover.
I must disagree with a recent review about the beer. I only had the one pint during my stay but it was in excellent condition.
Only minor criticism is that the hotel is a little tired and in need of some refurbishment. This is more than made up for by the warm welcome and excellent breakfast.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Southampton Uk
Reviewed May 3, 2013

I got chatting with some fellow travellers at St Erth railways station about places we had been , or were going to. When I mentioned that I was staying at the St. Agnes Hotel, the look on their faces told me it would not be the best hotel I've ever been to. I should say that the people that run the place are perfectly friendly and my room was fine.

I was planning to eat here as the food reviews are good, but my fist sip of real ale told me I couldn't drink here, it was most unpleasant. I ended up walking down the very steep hill to the Peterville Inn which does an excellent pint of real ale with a landlord who obviously puts a lot of effort into getting his beer as perfect as possible.

On my return I decided to have a pint with my take away chinese meal, so I went for lager but even that had a nasty tang to it, so I then tried a different lager and that was the same. The landlord is a really nice guy, but he needs to put a lot more effort into beer management. A pub like this can't keep four real ales on, it is much better to have two good ones than four bad ones.

The hotel is "dog friendly" which is fine with me, but there was a doggy smell about the place I didn't enjoy too much. I think this was mainly from the pub dog who was lovely but his main job seemed to be to lay around producing doggy smells in the corridors.

Breakfast was very nice, although they might choose a different time to bleach the floors in the pub as the smell didn't enhance my breakfast.

This hotel is a long way from perfect, but with a bit of effort it could be greatly improved.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Birmingham UK
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Saturday lunch was excellent. The Aggie burger was served topped with crispy bacon and cheese. Rocket salad and chips accompanied the burger. Washed down with half a Rattlers. Very nice. We sat outside in the sun watching village life going on around us.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
The Alverton
The Alverton
#1 of 4 in Truro
Tregenna Castle Resort

Been to St. Agnes Hotel? Share your experiences!