“restaurant review”

The Driftwood Spars B & B
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in St Agnes
“restaurant review”
Reviewed December 31, 2013

This is a review of the restaurant and bar. I did not stay at the hotel.
The setting of the pub is wonderful and very atmospheric. The various bars are also cosy. The restaurant is clean, and has a great view. The food is okay, but not more. It is however expensive for the quality.
The service however is realy dreadful. Thats the second time time in the last year that I went in with my family, and none of the bar staff say hello or even seemed to see that we were there. Then after finding a member of the staff, then another member of staff then another I still did not get served.
Then after 20 minutes we still did not get anywhere so we left. The time before I was hungry and stuck it out.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Timsmith1
Louise T, Manager at The Driftwood Spars B & B, responded to this review, January 4, 2014
I am very sorry to hear about your experience here at the Driftwood Spars. We are currently undergoing some major changes in our customer service including the training of and hiring of new staff. Thank you for your review, it is important for us to know of any customers who have left unhappily. It is one of our main goals this year to really make a success out of the restaurant, separating it from the pub. We cannot do this without knowing where we need to change and improve, so thank you for your observations and please do give us the opportunity to make it right in yours eyes. Please call and ask for either Louise or Lydia who would like to offer your family a discounted meal.

Best wishes
Lydia
Events Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 30, 2013

Everything you could ever want from a pub. The warmest of welcomes as soon as you step inside, a proper traditional pub the way they all should be. A superb selection of drinks, especially a great selection of local ales, topped off with a roaring fire to add to the idyllic comfortable atmosphere.
The stunning locally sourced food with plentiful portions kept us coming back several times and was well needed after a beautiful walk along the coast path and being delivered straight to the door.
This is an amazing place that won us over and will be somewhere we will continue to come back to time and time again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Porthleven, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 29, 2013

I stayed for 3 nights in November, and was glad of the sincerely warm welcome I received on a stormy day. My single room (12) was across the road from the Inn. It was warm and comfortable, with a good shower in the en-suite.
The breakfasts were excellent and the service was always friendly and caring, especially on my last morning, when the young lady who brought my breakfast offered to make me some scones to take home with me. I appreciated that kind gesture very much, my only regret being that I didn't get her name.
There was an excellent selection of real ales in the bar, some of which were brewed on the premises, and the bar service was friendly.
The scenery around Trevaunance Cove is, of course, wonderful, even on a cold November weekend, and I thoroughly enjoyed my stay. I will definitely return in the future and recommend it wholeheartedly. My only slight disappointment was that the wi-fi reception in my room was intermittent, but I was able to get perfect reception everywhere in the Inn itself. Many thanks to all the staff who made my stay so enjoyable.

Room Tip: If you want uninterrupted wi-fi in your room, choose a room within the Inn.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 14, 2013

Driftwood Spars truly is a gem. We went in November for 3 nights. The location is gorgeous, right by the beach. The staff are friendly and helpful. The old pub is cosy and full of character. The food is excellent and great value for money. The full Cornish breakfast sets you up for a day of site seeing! The rooms are comfortable and clean.

Overall, a lovely stay and excellent value!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Burnham-On-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 4, 2013 via mobile

I stay away a lot with work and this has to be one of my favourites so far. It's a lovely bed and breakfast about 100m from the beach with views to die for.

I must admit, when I drove up, I was slightly concerned as it looks a bit shabby from the outside. However, I soon realised that it only adds to the character of the place. The room I had was great. Massive bed, very clean, modern bathroom and my view looked right out over the Atlantic. I ate in restaurant and was very pleased with the food. I had grilled hake with roasted tomatoes and potatoes which was fantastic. Very nice ambience as well despite the shockingly bad Ukulele gathering which produced some terrible music. Strangely though, it just added to my experience!

I would highly recommend this B&B. Next time I'm down in Cornwall I shall definitely be avoiding the delights of Newquay and will happily stay here. The one problem some people will find is that there is absolutely zero signal for mobile phones, although I must say, the peace and quiet is much appreciated!

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank nick_grimsley
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 25, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here as a couple recently for a week. The South West Coast path runs next to the dining room end of the hotel, perfect to walk to Perranporth or a couple minutes walk down towards the cove to go the other way to St Agnes Beacon (fantastic views) and beyond. Great range of real ales from their own brewery and newer brews from Skinners and Sharps to try. Thanks to Pete the Brewer for showing us around the brewery - very knowledgable & interesting. Our room was at the back of the hotel - spacious, clean and comfortable. There is no mobile phone signal in the hotel (which is brilliant if you don't want yo be disturbed!) but there is free wifi throughout the building. Lovely cooked breakfast each morning & choice of fruit, cereal & toast too and the evening meals we had were delicious too. The staff were friendly & welcoming and I would stay there again.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for a couple of nights, and the location is great. There is a really good bar on the ground floor with their own microbrewery. We stayed in two different rooms while we were there. The first room was in the annex over the road, and was clean and comfortable but definitely quite small. The second night was in a much larger room, which had good sea rooms - however the standard of decor and repair in this room was substandard, with cracks around the bathroom ceiling and lots of dust and cobwebs. The sealant around the bath was coming away in places. This room could do with a complete overhaul, especially for the price.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
#1 of 2 in Redruth
Tregenna Castle Resort
Tregenna Castle Resort
#10 of 21 in St Ives

Been to The Driftwood Spars B & B? Share your experiences!