“Fantastic seafood platter with a beautiful view.”
Review of Waves Bar

Waves Bar
Ranked #1 of 6 Restaurants in Seaton
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: We are right on the seafront at Seaton Pavillions, Bridge Road, Seaton in Cornwall. Only a narrow road separates us from the beach, and it’s pretty spectacular when the Surf’s up! Our Bar is open 9am to 11pm Sunday through Thursday, and midnight on Friday and Saturday. We serve Restaurant Meals 12noon to 3pm on a Monday to Saturday and a Sunday roast. Our Evening Service is from 6pm to 9pm Monday to Saturday with a select Restaurant Service from 6pm to 8pm on a Sunday. Lighter snacks, cakes and other ‘nibbles’ are available from the bar throughout the day.
Reviewed May 22, 2018

We visited Seaton for the first time - a lovely little seaside resort. We had lunch on the upstairs balcony overlooking the bay - absolutely beautiful. The service was very friendly and prompt, not that we would have minded waiting as the view was so relaxing. We ordered the seafood platter for 2 and it arrived in good time and looked and tasted wonderful - probably the best we have ever had. The batter on the fish was so crispy, the mussles in a creamy sauce were first class and we also enjoyed the prawns, smoked salmon and crab with various sauces, bread and salad. It also included calarmari and whitebait. Just a lovely experience from start to finish.

WavesGM, General Manager at Waves Bar, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2018

Thank you for your comments, waves bar has worked hard over the past 2 years to make it a great success and to know you have enjoyed the food is fantastic and i really hope to see you at waves bar again very soon.

Many Thanks,
Donna and Stuart.

Reviewed May 19, 2018

Having visited this venue during the week, we were pleasantly surprised by the menu, although quite high prices, we thought we would treat our family. The breakfast menu was very reasonably priced and so we asked the very helpful and professional waitress if we needed to book as we would like a window seat overlooking the sea. She advised that we do, and I saw her making a note of our booking for the Saturday morning.

As a larger family it is a rare occasion that we dine out. We've recently had a difficult time with illness in the family and this was a treat we were all very much looking forward to. Having come from Downderry myself, including my mother and grandmother, I have such fond memories of Downderry and Seaton; its a special place for me.

I just wanted to give some context to how much we were looking forward to this.
On arrival, people there were finishing their breakfast and we advised we had booked a table. At no point did they ask under which name or which table. They just said that it hadn't been written in the book; without offering an alternative table. They asked if we wanted to wait! I said it wasn't acceptable as we had made a point of booking.... I don't think that was unreasonable.

The woman, (one of the chefs I assume by her uniform) was very nice and polite and apologised offering us a table in the restaurant which we accepted and even said she would arrange for a discount. She took our drinks order and disappeared. Then a man (later realised was the owner) asked if we would like to move outside, which we did. It was a perfect table in the sun overlooking the sea. We waited for our drinks.

We sat and waiting patiently, however no teas or coffees appeared. A waitress then came over and took our food order, but we told her we had already ordered drinks. She said she would take them again as they were 'up and down'.

we were served with two cups and two pots of tea, 3 other drinks outstanding. We waited again, no milk so couldn't pour the tea. I admit I began to feel impatient, as by this time we had been there half an hour without even a drink, and to top it off the cup was filthy and the place was empty!!!

On approaching the owner behind the bar, I said to him we had waited a long time for our drinks and could we now have the others and some milk. He immediately replied, 'do you know what, I don't like your attitude, I'm not serving you'!!! I had not even spoken to him prior to this aside from saying thank you for the table! I was totally gobsmacked. I am afraid I did become upset, as he was prodding his finger in my face and in my view presented as aggressive which was a shock.I explained what a difficult time we have had with terminally ill family and how much we had been looking forward to this - to which he replied 'so what, I went to a funeral yesterday.....and?'. This was the owner!!!

I also had my children with me, which he paid no attention to and didn't seem to care what they witnessed. We left and went to Route 38 where the service was exemplary, I think the Waves owner needs some customer service training! Despite the good reviews, it is clear this man has an awful attitude to paying customers.

Suffice to say we won't be returning. I've never experienced anything like it! He clearly needs more staff if they can't serve cups of tea when their cafe is empty!.
The other woman who first took our drinks orders was lovely I have to say and so was the waitress we met during the week.
In Route 38 we got a cup of tea within 5 minutes, and service was with a smile! They interacted with my children and actually acknowledged they were there!
Shame as has such potential to be such a lovely place, but a service is only as good as the people delivering it and this was dire.
I'm sure, from reading his responses to other terrible and poor reviews, he will present his version of events, however as a family, all of us felt upset and shocked by the standard of service and aggressiveness of the owner.

12  Thank Slim7415
WavesGM, General Manager at Waves Bar, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2018

Having visited the venue during the week you fail to mention pancakes are not on my menu that my chefs said they would cook for you, you fail to mention you was asked to leave for calling me a tw@t, you fail to mention you even had ago at another customer has there were amazed how historical you was, i guess the termin al ill thing is getting to you but shouldn’t t are it out on other people this does not give you the rite to speak to people in this manner and i suggest you respect peoples premises, i have nothing else to say apart from y ou are not a nice person and your children were embarrassed with your language and behaviour, but thanks for the rest of your comments i have taken them on board.

Reviewed May 19, 2018 via mobile

Reserved a table in the conservatory over looking the beach. Turns up to find table not reserved and occupied. After a few mins got places in the restaurant, although shaded and breezy. Ordered drinks and waited. Was asked it we would like to dine on the balcony, so we moved. Another waitress arrived to take our drinks order. 2 teas turned up no milk and a very dirty cup. Waited a few more minutes, sure the other drinks would turned up?? Son went off to get a clean cup, no clean cup arrived. Still no drinks and no sign of breakfast. Wife got up to find out where the milk and rest of drinks are. 'proprietor' kicked off proper..threatened to call police!!! All in the space of 30 mins. Breakfast cancelled!!! As a local, this is not good business....went route 38. .

12  Thank dave m

This is from the same table as the other review sad really.

Reviewed May 16, 2018

We have eaten many times at Waves & always had amazing food and service at very competitive prices
The sea food platter & scallops for starters are fabulous
Took our Granddaughter for her birthday & what an amazing experience she had.Treated like a true princess
Donna,Stuart & Richard & all the staff are all very friendly & make you very welcome
Best place in the area to eat & meet up for drinks with fantastic sea views
Also dog friendly if you want to take your pouch out
Highly recommend a visit & you wont be disappointed

1  Thank 993bristol
WavesGM, Manager at Waves Bar, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2018

Thank you for your kind comments, we are trying hard to make waves bar a great success and these comments mean a lot to all the team at waves bar.

Many Thanks,
Donna, Stuart, Richard.

Reviewed May 11, 2018 via mobile

I have been here twice. Amazing food both times, you will not leave hungry or dissapointed. Really friendly team and great views. Tip, go for the seafood platter.