Driftwood Hotel
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Tresanton(St Mawes)
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
All reviewsprivate beachchris edenamuse bouchecourse tasting menumichelin starred chefroseland peninsulacliff topthree nightssuperb foodsmall hoteloverlooking the seastunning viewscooked to perfectionlovely roomnothing is too much troublemawespath
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 22, 2014

We spent two nights here and I wish it could have been longer. There are so many wonderful things about this place and they have been said already on TA. I was immensely relaxed from the moment I arrived. The staff were just incredible, friendly and attentive but never overbearing - we always felt we had space and privacy. The hotel is a lovely 20 minute walk from the village with a great pub if you aren't eating at the hotel every night. The views from the hotel and gardens and the walk to the village are really wonderful. We had the tasting menu with wine which was really very good (and reassuringly expensive!). I would love to have stayed longer but the price makes it really just a very special treat for our budget!
I can't praise this place enough and will definitely start saving for my next visit.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 12, 2014

If you want solitude, views and outstanding food then this is the place for you! Stayed for 2 nights this week, was'nt sure what to expect and arrived bored with Michelin starred fine dining that just looks pretty but fails to deliver on many levels. The dining room is stunning with views to die for and mirrors positioned so that if you are facing the wrong way you can still see the sea. The grounds are amazing with plenty of places to be on your own with seats placed to make the most of the fab views. There is a private beach which had no one else on it when we were there.The feel of the hotel is 'New England' very relaxed style with well appointed rooms and cosy indoor areas. Tons of dvds to borrow for a wet day and a large telescope to look out to sea. Early morning tea delivered promptly. Very friendly, helpful staff = 10/10. And now the food - what joy!! £53 set menu with plenty of choice. Ordered the lobster for the 2nd night (extra) and it was probably the best we've had ( and we've had plenty!).Cooked to perfection. The chef is a master of his trade with sensible portion sizes and exquisite flavours - clotted cream bread - so good! Canapes & amuse bouche included. Not open for non-resident lunches so on day 2 we had the hotel to ourselves which was wonderful. We have fallen in love with The Driftwood. Cant praise the overall experience enough - will be going back for sure - its just what we've been looking for!

Room Tip: We chose a room with a decked area which was great for the fab weather that we had. Sat there all day undisturbed!
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mylazysunday
Reviewed July 10, 2014

There are very few hotels that my wife and I would say are worth a return visit; this one is "a must".
It is an ultimate haven of peace; excellent rooms, most with spectacular sea views, beautiful gardens with carefully placed seats that offer maximum privacy if required, a private beach within a five minute walk and a Michelin star restaurant. Add to all this the unobtrusive service with the friendliness of all the staff and the conclusion has to be a special and "a very rare hotel"!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed July 8, 2014

This was our second visit to Driftwood, this time to celebrate my wife's 50th birthday. We stayed three nights along with my wife's parents, as our guests, and were joined by four other family members for a celebratory evening meal in the hotel's first class restaurant.

Driftwood is a gem of a hotel, very relaxed in style but high on service and comfort. Looking like an old style colonial beach house, it sits in beautiful landscaped grounds with a commanding view of the ocean. With its own private beach too, Driftwood is the perfect location for relaxation in top quality, shabby chic style and comfort.

The staff at Driftwood are superb; offering just the right balance of top notch service, friendliness and efficiency, gauging exactly the right balance for the individual guest.

Our room at Driftwood was on the first floor with its own private entrance from the courtyard. The view from the room over the sea and to Portscatho beyond was sensational. The comfort of the room was first class too, just as you would expect, with an ultra comfortable bed! Guest rooms in the hotel consist of a very comfortable and relaxing lounge area full of soft, squishy sofas, coffee tables groaning under the weight of masses of books and board games galore. A small but comfortable bar area sits next to the restaurant which itself is a beautiful space resplendent in white with panoramic views out to the sea. The hotel is also full of beautiful, original art pieces including paintings, sculptures and small assemblages, all of which add to the atmosphere of this wonderful place. There is also a small snug with TV and DVD library, though we didn't have time to use it!

Outside there is a lovely decked area facing the sea, with old fashioned steamer chairs and umbrellas to shade the sun which, luckily for us, shone all the time we were there. We spent quite a bit of time on the deck with our guests, eating home made cake with tea and coffee during the day and sipping Camel Valley Brut in the evening taking advantage of the sunshine for as long as we could.

I had booked a table for my wife's birthday meal which was attended by six other guests. We were sat in the conservatory (again with fabulous sea views) which is adjacent to the main restaurant. Ideal for us as we felt like we had our own private room and ideal for the many other guests in the restaurant that evening as we (hopefully) didn't impose ourselves on them. It goes without saying that the food and service were superb, well worthy of the Michelin Star the restaurant has been awarded. We all chose different meals from the a la carte menu which posed no problems for the kitchen or the serving staff who were diligent and courteous throughout the evening.

I am also amazed at what great value the hotel represents, not at all as expensive as you might think for such high quality.

All in all a fabulous, wonderful experience, one that my wife and I, and our guests, will never forget! We hope we shall return a third time, though hopefully, much sooner than this time!

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room, there are plenty but they do also have garden view rooms too. Make sure that you have at least one evening meal in the restaurant - you won't regret it!
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed June 28, 2014

The Hotel is perfectly situated looking over it own bay and fantastic views, the rooms however are very average with no tea/coffee making facilities in the room (though you can order morning coffee/tea) also no shower only a bath which we found surprising these days
Ordered a paper lots of papers with room numbers on them but not mine.
We didn't dine there so have no way of knowing what the evening meal was like, however we did have breakfast while ok my wife ordered poached egg on toast and got a little poached egg in the middle of a big plate I ordered eggs Benadict with smoked salmon and got eggs benadict with ham, no big deal but not what was ordered .
I had hoped my daughter and grandson would join us for breakfast so they had made up a table for us along with high chair (a nice touch)
I have to say the owners mean well and seem to try very hard to get it right but for the money you have to get it all right.
For all I have said the position of this hotel takes some beating .

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Fred K
Paul R, Owner at Driftwood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. I’m glad to hear you enjoyed our lovely surroundings and our enviable position on the Cornish coast. We’re sorry to hear about some of the points raised in your review. We find that most of our guests appreciate being able to order fresh tea and coffee bought directly to their room, but we can also provide tea/coffee making facilities if requested. We can only apologise for the small mistakes at breakfast. As you will see from our other reviews, this is certainly not the norm.