“Amazing views and amazing meal”

Driftwood Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Trewithian
Cuisines: Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: We could go on, but let's leave that to the Guide Books. Come and experience Driftwood's Michelin Starred Restaurant for yourself. There are no extravagant promises, only a guarantee of the freshest, finest food, served with stunning views across the sea. When the weather is warm we light hurricane lamps on the deck to enjoy pre-dinner drinks and after dinner coffee.
Reviewed July 2, 2014

My sister suggested we could go here when I was recently visiting her in Cornwall and what a fabulous choice. The location is amazing and the food was too. Absolutely Brillant.

Reviewed June 22, 2014

The hotel is undoubtedly in a great location. We did not stay but dined there twice. On the first occasion it was a quiet evening and the serivice and food were excellent. On the strength of that we booked to dine again a couple of nights later. That evening it was much busier. When my wife pointed out that her pollack was only slightly warm (the plate was also virtually cold) we were told that was 'correct' and the dish was supposed to be like that which was rather hard to believe, to say the least. The food was replaced with turbot (fried so therefore hot) and we were again told it was correct to have an almost cold dish of food. It was irritating to be told by the staff in a defensive way that we were wrong when all that was needed was an apology with the explanation that they were busy which would have been perfectly satisfactory. To sum it up, the superior attitude of the staff spoiled the evening. Lastly, it should be said that the food would be better if less attention is paid to twiddly bits and more to the basics!

1  Thank tomroach
Paul R, Owner at Driftwood Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your first visit so much you decided to return a couple of days later. I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed on the second occasion, let me assure you it is always our intention to give our guests the best possible experience. The heat at which food is served can dramatically affect the taste and we work hard to ensure it leaves the kitchen at the optimum temperature. Should you be in the area again, we hope you will give us another chance to get it right.

Reviewed June 11, 2014

On a visit from London, recently, I was treated to an evening of culinary delights at the Driftwood Hotel restaurant. I had heard of Michelin-starred chef, Chris Eden's, exciting dishes but nothing quite prepared me for the array of artistic presentation and outstandingly delicious flavours that I enjoyed. The setting, overlooking the sea was unforgettable, the mood quietly elegant and the evening introduced beautifully with an array of delicate canapés with a glass of champagne. The three course menu was very good value for the quality of food on offer and the advice from the excellent sommelier, Stuart, was welcomed. The menu was astonishingly good and the choosing agony.....but a seared John Dory, cauliflower, vanilla, lime and curry, followed by loin and glazed shoulder of lamb, saladaise potato, courgette, basil, feta and black olive......perfectly rounded off (for this sweet tooth!) with a memorable "thunder and lightning" tart, saffron jelly and ginger beer the flavours of which went shooting to the pleasure centres of my brain in an instant!!! I could not resist tasting some of my fellow guest's dishes as well. Fabulous food! Memorable evening! Best meal ever! Brilliant chef!

Reviewed June 9, 2014

A breathtaking position on the coast of Cornwall, Driftwood is an amazing experience; from the moment we arrived we were made to feel extremely welcome in the calm and beautifully decorated reception rooms. After having decided on the £85 tasting menu we were shown into the stunning dining room with its superb views over the bay. The food was almost too good to describe; each course as excellent as the other - I couldn't choose a favourite (look at my photos and you try to decide!). Head chef is clearly hugely talented; he has created the kind of textures and tastes which delight both in taste an looks - the presentation is simply stunning. Yes its a bit pricey but you only ever get what you pay for and this is value for money - someone's heart, soul and meticulous skill has gone into creating a truly exceptional meal. For a Michelin 1 star Driftwood is an easy contender and if it continues to attain this level of consistent cuisine it is in no danger of losing its coveted star. Well done and thank you for being the highlight of our annual Cornish holiday.

Reviewed June 8, 2014

Let's get the ropey bit out of the way - the restaurant had messed up our reservations but thankfully squeezed us in and I did get an apology email the following day. No real drama! There was considerable confusion with our drinks order but again this was rectified with a free drink which was nice.
Now to what makes this place so special - firstly the views are sublime. With panoramic views across the bay and getting to watch the sun set over the sea it was pretty hard not to get lost in the romance of the place. We didn't stay in the hotel but we definitely would consider it in the future!
Most importantly the food was the star of the show (as it should be). As standard you get canapés, pre starters, starter, main course, pre dessert and dessert within the 3 course option.
Every single course was divine. We will be back.

1  Thank amberchatwin1985