“Fabulous”

Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Trewithian
Cuisines: Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: We could go on, but let's leave that to the Guide Books. Come and experience Driftwood's Michelin Starred Restaurant for yourself. There are no extravagant promises, only a guarantee of the freshest, finest food, served with stunning views across the sea. When the weather is warm we light hurricane lamps on the deck to enjoy pre-dinner drinks and after dinner coffee.
Reviewed May 30, 2014

Difficult to know where to start with our delicious dinner.... The Driftwood is set down a narrow lane, which is covered in ferns, bluebells and foxgloves in May. Coming down the drive you quickly realise that there are views of the sea from every window of the hotel, it's a wonderful setting looking out to sea and down on to the rocky beach below, all surrounded by a pretty and well maintained cliff top garden.
There is a small bar (nautical theme and low blue bench type seating) and adjoining restaurant (white linen, neutral palette, one or two splashes of colour from the art work).
I'm not going to spoil it by describing the food, but it was fab... The Driftwood seem to have the current culinary mood spot on, the layering effect of the dishes with different but carefully considered flavours, multiple textures all together with awesome presentation, the attention to detail was wonderful, we were blown away.

Service fabulous, the right mixture of smiley and informed and not intrusive.

1  Thank c__h2008-12

Reviewed May 28, 2014

Quite simply one of the best meals I have had in a superb setting. I have tried to go again when the weather has been good so that the view can be appreciated, as well as the food - but it is always booked out - the sign of a good restaurant.

I did not stay at the hotel as I live in Cornwall - but it looks great.

1  Thank Laniley
Reviewed May 28, 2014

I have been going to Cornwall for 40 years and knew about Driftwood but had never put it on my schedule. I have to say that it is now firmly on my list of Must Do's whenever I visit Cornwall in the future. We were fortunate with the weather and chose a week in May when the sun shone every day so it made G&T's on the terrace with those views a real pleasure.

I was very open minded about Driftwood and have been to many Michelin Starred restaurants in the Uk and around the world so. I am very pleased to report that the food and the informative service was way above expectation. Driftwood has one Michelin Star but I am convinced that the quality of the food and ingredients really does deserve two stars. We had the tasting menu which was varied, interesting and very well balanced. The fish dishes were exceptional and we really liked the cheese course which was accompanied by local honey - the mixture of that blue cheese and honey was amazing! Well done chef.

Finally the service - each course was served with a full and detailed explanation of the ingredients and how it was put together. The team are involved, passionate and know what they are doing - particularly the restaurant manager.

I cant wait to visit again....

Reviewed May 9, 2014

Fulfilled an ambition to go here for dinner recently. The Michelin star thing obviously raises expectations and there is a sense of the team working hard to meet them. First prize staff wise goes to the French lady from Albertville (sorry, we didn't get her name). She was efficient and friendly without being over familiar or obsequious. All the staff were good although, if I'm being picky, the maitre d'hotel was a touch on the frosty side.

Food was well up to standard. The canapes were top notch. I shall long remember the beetroot meringue. The star turn in my case was my turbot main course. As is often the case, I can't remember all the ingredients but it tasted wonderful. My wife had lamb done various ways and she was also in seventh heaven about that. Pushed the boat out and a had a bottle of Mersault which, whilst slightly eye watering in terms of price, was a perfect match for the food.

The location is fantastic. The decor is a bit "up market beach hut" for my taste but I can see why people like it.

Go if you can. It must be really hard work keeping something like this going in the South West.

Reviewed May 2, 2014

Initial impression is good with beautiful views over the coast from the restaurant. The staff were attentive and very pleasant, but not overbearing. The menu is £53, and it was worth it. They are also able to deal with gluten free requirements by just making any necessary amendments to the chosen dish. A memorable evening. The atmosphere was relaxed.