“Stunning....everyone has to go here!”

Driftwood Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Trewithian
Cuisines: Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: We could go on, but let's leave that to the Guide Books. Come and experience Driftwood's Michelin Starred Restaurant for yourself. There are no extravagant promises, only a guarantee of the freshest, finest food, served with stunning views across the sea. When the weather is warm we light hurricane lamps on the deck to enjoy pre-dinner drinks and after dinner coffee.
Reviewed July 7, 2012

Visited here for my birthday meal, the moment you arrive to the moment you leave you realise you are in a very special place. The location is amazing. (Has to be one of the best views from any restaurant window). The food is out of this world. The flavours are incredible, brilliant use of local produce and the food is thoroughly deserving of its Michelin star. The service matches the food wonderfully and is very professional. A real "foodies" paradise. I cannot wait to return.

1  Thank Spellchecker1

Reviewed May 8, 2012

Beautiful setting , friendly staff , comfortable , wonderful food

Reviewed April 9, 2012

We went to the driftwood this week and the food was fabulous (we had the tasting menu) however this was seriously let down by the service. This hotel has an amazing setting and I would love to have looked out at the view for hours. The interior is really cosy however the restaurant has too many tables which would be fine but the staff pack you all close together rather than equally spacing you out then filling in the gaps (as one part of the restaurant did not have diners in for about 1 hour or so). The staff made you feel rushed and were not very welcoming, it was like there was at least one member of staff down as they would walk so fast past you but then run into the kitchen. The food was really good and had interesting flavours but I am someone who needs the whole experience to enjoy my meal and wanted more enthusiasm from the staff detailing about the flavours of the food and its local origin etc but the staff didn’t have the time to explain anything and we were left without drinks for a while too. I probably would never go back again and if they had more front of house staff it would have scored a lot higher!!

1  Thank pinksmiles
Paul R, Owner at Driftwood Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am so sorry that you were disappointed with the service, We do try our best to be friendly, knowledgeable and efficient , briefly explaining the dishes but without being pretentious. Something obviously went wrong that evening but please do give us another chance. I am delighted that you thought so highly of the food.

Reviewed March 27, 2012

We visited Driftwood in March this year. The bedroom was contemporary with a partial sea view. The Hotel is ideally situated on a cliff top with access to a beach. We went for pre dinner drinks and found the service to be very slow. There was also a lot of noise coming from the kitchen ie "yes chef ......2 venison yes chef" etc which we thought was over the top, however by the time we entered the dining area the noise had subsided. The meal was fantastic. Cooked to perfection, a joy to eat.
We would love to go back. You cannot fault the food and the location is idyllic. You have to book a minimum 2 night stay at weekends which makes it rather expensive

1  Thank PandoraNorthSomerset
Reviewed January 5, 2012

Firstly the map currently shown is incorrect. This place is in Cornwall, not London! I've been here twice now, the first time was booked by my, now, wife as a surprise. The second time was for her 30th birthday. Both times were fantastic. To start with the location is great. It overlooks the beautiful gardens then the amazing coastal views. There's a cosy room to sit in before and after a meal with comfy sofas and a relaxed feel. I would describe this place as 'posh' but it certainly isn't stuffy and uncomfortable. It's got a good atmosphere and the staff are really pleasant and helpful and there was never any rush. The lady that served us the first time was excellent. She had a great knowledge of the what she presented to us on the table. That said the chap that served us with her the second time was just as good. This brings me to what has to be the best bit....the food. I imagine the chef has a wand in the kitchen as he must be a magician. It looks like artwork and tastes like food I've never tasted before. I love food and to look, smell and taste the food was a real pleasure. I was that impressed I was smiling throughout, so much so it made my cheeks hurt!! It was a shame when I'd eaten it all and my wife didn't leave anything for me either! OK, this place isn't cheap, but you're not booking a night out at 'spoons, your eating at a place that has just gained a Michelin star! Saying that it's not unreasonably priced and is certainly worth it. I haven't been fortunate enough to stay in the hotel yet (which has a seperate tripadvisor page by the way) but if it's anything like the food and experience of eating in the restaurant i'm sure it'll be superb!