“The kids are still talking about it”
Review of No.1 Rock Road

No.1 Rock Road
Ranked #7 of 15 Restaurants in Rock
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 23, 2012 via mobile

Thank goodness we found this place on our holidays in Cornwall. Unlike other 'eating establishments ' in the area, my wife and kids loved the food, service and most importantly value! We enjoyed the local crab and other seafood dishes very much, the service was attentive and friendly. Next time we come to Cornwall, this will be near the top of the to do/go list.

3  Thank JimSteers

Reviewed September 28, 2012

Lovely meal. Not much choice in Rock but this was just right. Buzzy atmosphere and helpful staff. Good value

1  Thank legallynn
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Having crossed the water from dog friendly Padstow with our dogs we headed to the Rock Bar and Grill for lunch. On arrival we were told we could walk through the bar but had to sit outside as we had dogs. As the rain fell we moved the dogs to sit under the shelter and we sat in-doors. The restaurant staff were rude and asked "do you have to leave your dogs there". There was only us and another family with dogs in the bar, not sure why they couldn't mke an exception as we had ordered the meal before it rained and we had all had to move inside. The attitude of the staff would stop me from ever going back.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

We treated ourselves to a traditional Cornish cream tea - seated out on the balcony.

A thoroughly pleasant experience.

Reviewed September 13, 2012

I visited No 1 Rock Road once before and I was unimpressed, but I decided to give it another go and I have now completely changed my mind. I was very impressed and I now believe my first visit was a blip.

No 1 Rock Road is located on the Rock beachfront near the public car park. It enjoys a magnificent view over the Camel Estuary so ask for a window table or sit on the outside terrace if the weather is good. It is open all day for drinks and food. The look is clean, modern and contemporary: black seats, square wooden tables, a glass wall at the front.

The food is much more adventurous than the neighbouring Rock Inn and we had an excellent meal. Starters are £7-£9.50. I chose freshly picked white crab meat bound with chive crème fraiche; my partner opted for scallops with pea puree and crispy pancetta. The crab was very fresh and came with a nicely dressed salad and lovely fresh ciabatta. The scallops were sweet and juicy and beautifully cooked. Bread with the starters was excellent.

Mains range from £14 to £19.50. We had grilled fillets of sea bass with roasted new potatoes, crispy pancetta and peas and baked cod loin on smoked trout risotto with saffron velouté. The sea bass was very good. I would have preferred it if the skin had been crispy, but it was a lovely fresh piece of fish and it was well cooked. The cod was the best savoury dish. It was a beautiful big, juicy piece of cod and the risotto was seriously good with a delicious saffron sauce.

Desserts are all about £6. My partner had vanilla panna cotta with strawberries; I chose chocolate and salt caramel torte with vanilla ice cream. Both were exceptional and we thought they went very well together. The restaurant has two dessert wines by the glass (a Semillon and an Orange Muscat) which are very good value (£4.25 or £4.75) and we really liked both.

All the dishes we had were well conceived, well executed and immaculately presented. Service was very friendly and attentive. I would definitely recommend a visit.

1  Thank cawarra