“Top rated food!”

Description: A small, family run restaurant in Rock, Cornwall
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Top rated food!”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

On a freezing night in April we were greeted warmly and from there we had a fantastic experience. Genuine care was taken to advise us of menu items and the food must be representative of a kitchen brigade with real knowledge, imagination and flair. Some of the ingredients seemed strange together on the menu but showed real talent as every course was delicious - I even took photographs as I wanted to remember every dish! A particular highlight was the beetroot risotto - I cannot praise it highly enough.
Overall, we would say that if you are in Rock you MUST dine here - you will not be disappointed.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank sherpagirl66

BritAbroad
“Little gem found in Rock!”
Reviewed October 29, 2013

We have enjoyed very good dining experiences at all those restaurants in this area that carry the name of a celebrity chef. The Dining Room has no celebrity chef, but thanks to TripAdvisor reviewers' recommendations we got to try this little gem and surprise, surprise … it was simply outstanding!

Everything went smoothly and efficiently from the initial booking, to the confirmatory emails and the friendly, smiling welcome from Donna and her assistant, Sarah. The evening was chilly and Donna wasted no time getting us to a table alongside a lovely warm radiator.

As the four of us were celebrating double birthdays a bottle of delicious multi-awarding winning Camel Valley Pinot Noir brut rosé from a local winery got us off to a good start. It proved to be a good partner for the superb canapés - one, a marvellous tomato and basil soup in a frozen shell that simply melted in the mouth, was a truly unique experience.

Two of us selected the lobster to start, while the others went for the partridge - a notoriously difficult bird to cook if it is to remain moist. Both starters were excellent.

All four of us went for the fillet of brill as a main course and we were not disappointed. Once again chef Fred Beedles got his cooking spot on.

Two of us were tempted by the dark chocolate ganache and another went for the local cheeses, all washed down with a glass each of muscat - yummy!

To end a super evening Donna presented us with a complementary plate of wonderful petits fours to mark the two birthdays.

When the bill arrived we were pleasantly surprised to discover that it was £100 less than our meal the previous evening with one of the local celebrity chefs.

With cooking, service and value of this calibre The Dining Room at Rock deserves to be a huge success.

London, United Kingdom
“Simply outstanding....”
Reviewed October 26, 2013

This is the third time we have been to The Dining Room over the course of the last two years, but we were greeted by Donna as long lost friends and there was not even the slightest flicker of surprise or disapproval when I ordered two bottles of wine! The food was simply outstanding, as always - delicious poached lobster and perfectly cooked partridge to start (after some very creative amuse bouche) followed by wonderfully pink venison, and as for the fish, well it was Brill! Roasted Banana ice cream for pudding was utterly memorable and we finished off the second bottle with some fabulous local cheeses. I've yet to meet Fred, the man behind the food; in fact I suspect that there is an army of Freds in the kitchen - how is it possible for one man to create such outstanding food? I'll tell you how...through sheer hard work and dedication. Fred and Donna work from 9 in the morning until midnight, preparing and serving dinner for the lucky few each evening. They are an amazing couple who deserve the support of all those who live or holiday in this part of the world. I have eaten in two 3 Michelin starred restaurants that are no way near this good. There is no doubt that they will get their first star soon. In the meantime, I can only suggest that you book yourself a table and prepare to be amazed....

Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Great little find with top notch food”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Whilst staying in rock we had a look at the local restaurants and menus and this menu stood out by far. We then looked at the reviews and were so glad we booked a table here. Whilst booking a table I was asked if there were any dietary requirements. We were given a really warm welcome upon arrival then were given a choice of tables to sit at. After being seated we were given menus to browse at (wine and food).For drinks my girlfriend had a bottle of doombar ale I settled on a bottle of local orchard cider. For our starters my girlfriend had the smoked breast and confit leg of duck, slow cooked yolk, apple, cider jelly and watercress. I had the poached lobster salad with marinated fennel, tomato and lobster mousse. While waiting for our starters we were given a little taster of Beetroot meringue with a horseradish cream and a gazpacho in a tomato case. Both tasted beautiful and I am not a beetroot or meringue fan. We were then given some butter an onion seeded roll and pumpkin seeded bread all homemade. The onion seeded roll blew me away with the amazing flavour. Then came out the amuse Busch of celeriac mousse with apple and walnut. As i had finished my cider by then (it was a bit too sweet for me) I asked if they had Rattler (another Cornish cider) and they didn’t so I asked what else they had to be told that if I waited for a couple of minutes that they will source some rattler for me. This made my night even better what service. Our starters came out and not only did they look and taste superb but was cooked to perfection. For our mains my girlfriend ordered the pan-fried Brill, crushed potatoes, crab salad and a sauce vierge while I had the roasted fillet of monkfish, seared scallops, brassicas and pink grapefruit. Again both dishes blew us away with the flavour and presentation. For desserts my girlfriend had the almond cake with blackcurrant ice cream . As I am not really a dessert person I asked if I could have the blackcurrant ice cream, coconut ice cream and raspberry sorbet as these ice creams came with other desserts and not on their own. Again this was not a problem; the blackcurrant ice cream has to be the creamiest ice cream I have ever tasted I was in heaven. If you’re going to eat out in Rock this is the place to go. Superb food, excellent service and great value for money.

Truro, United Kingdom
“Amazing food & service”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

This was our Second visit & this was as fantastic as the first, the food & service was outstanding, thank you to all involved.