“Great to be back. Again.” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Penventon Park Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Redruth
Tiverton, United Kingdom
“Great to be back. Again.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

Everything about this hotel is good. Good location. Good accommodation, good service and good, no, great staff. Ideal for short breaks, I normally stay for work purposes, but would certainly bring my other half and have a long weekend here. She would like it here and she is hard to please..... "Hope she doesn't read this. lol".

• Stayed October 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Penventon, Manager at Penventon Park Hotel, responded to this review, October 20, 2013
Always great to welcome back returning guests. And do bring the other half, it would be our pleasure to welcome you both.

It's so good to hear that you enjoy staying for work, and would consider returning for a leisure break. We try to ensure that we appeal to all, for all occasions; and we convey this through good quality and hospitality; we're pleased that this is your experience of us.

Thank you so much for taking time to review, it's really, really appreciated.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
Batley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

After a 6 hour drive I always book a nicer hotel than I would normally stay in during my week in the south west on business, however I am always bound my expenses rate so when I was able to book a single room at Penventon Park for £49 inc breakfast (payment up front no refund, made no odds to me) then I was very pleased, especially considering there is a gym, pool area with sauna and jacuzzi.

The restaurant I had already looked at the menu, and as I am a bit of a "foody" I wasn't overawed by the fine dining theme to the menu, but I was worried about whether my originally bargain-esque £49 B&B was going to now be doubled in price.....!!

Prior correspondance to booking was prompt and polite. Upon checking in the reception from reception was warm and friendly, I was clearly lumbered with bags (suit carrier, laptop case etc) as the lady behind the desk made a joke about having enough hands. Thus when enquiring as to whether I had stayed before, and responding with "never", to be given directions rather than being offered a hand and shown to my room was a little surprising. Admittedly I could have asked, it may have been a busy evening and only one person on reception (although a porter had opened the hotel entrance door for me), however I always find that great service takes the choice out of the hands of the paying customer. a polite "let me help you with your bags and show you to your room" would have been a much better approach, though the walk was short and I managed to find my room without much fuss!!

The room I booked was a single, but when I got to the room I found a spacious room with two single beds. The bathroom was spacious with a decent shower. The desk area was ample and the wifi was quite good. I did not sleep well, the beds were not the comfiest I have ever been in and the pillows were a bit floppy - personal taste, others may and do perhaps find them more than satisfactory.

I had pre-booked a reservation for dinner as advised, and in fairness to say it was gone 8.30pm the restaurant was quite busy. A maitre'd took your order at the bar and then took you through to the spacious dining room just before starter was served. Personally I like this professional and more formal approach to dinner, however for those who travel on business regularly (as I do) I know it wouldn't be to everyones tastes, however the hotel cannot be blamed for trying to give the best experience possible.

The menu on a Sunday offers a 3 course sunday special for £25, which I would have chosen but the choice of starters was not very good. A poor selection of warm starters put me off, nothing overly seasonal either.

Thus I lavishly opted for scallops and then beef wellington from the a la carte and thus cannot complain too much that I did almost double the bill for my stay !!

Again personal tastes will prevail. I do not know if the hotel actively promotes business use for travellers, however the menu offered is higher end compared to the price of the rooms. Again I love great food and was rewarded by my choices, which were served, presented, cooked seasoned and ultimately tasted of the high class in which they are advertised on the menu.

One thing did seem odd, the grissini in plastic wrap on the place mates, why are they there? nothing to dip them in and bread is offered and served after you are sat down, cheapens the experience slightly I think.

Breakfast offered varied options and was again great service and food, I had smoked salmon scrambled eggs and it was a good sized portion and quite flavoursome.

Overall I thoroughly enjoyed my stay. the room was spacious and amenities were appropriate for the tariff. The restaurant is higher end with piano player and high prices across the board (especially drinks at the bar !!) however I quite enjoy higher end and fine dining so for me was a great experience. A slightly more attentive service on arrival, a comfier bed and more reasonable bar prices and I would have given 5*.

Would highly recommend for a special occasion, be it for family, couples, romance, anything really, the restaurant service really is top notch. If you are a business traveller you will be paying more than you normally would, but the boss can surely allow you to indulge now and again..................

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank nedthewonderhorse
Penventon, Manager at Penventon Park Hotel, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review.

We attract equal numbers of different guests, from leisure to corporate, conference to weddings; all of which we aim to meet and ideally exceed their expectation of their stay.

We agree our menu isn't the cheapest, but then we don't aim to produce a lower end menu. Your review of the menu and dishes taken is exactly our aim; to provide a quality offering with the best fresh and local produce.

Our room rates are attractive to corporate and leisure guests, it is our aim to keep accommodation affordable; in such, we offer many different room types from corporate singles to Junior Suites.

For our best offers, it is advisable to book direct with the hotel by phone, and in advance; our best rates are available for early booking and advance payment.

The Grissini served in the Restaurant is in homage to our owners, along with the beautiful chandeliers; additions of our owner Paola Pascoe who is originally from Venice. Plus, with the talents of our award winning chef, Joe Lado Devesa from Spain; our restaurant menu is truely a celebration of international cuisine, for which we're pleased you enjoyed.

We do hope that you will visit again in the future, it would be our pleasure to welcome you back.
Berkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

Quality & attention from staff was outstanding including Sarah and Sharon in spa. Special mention goes to Louise also for making our stay enjoyable. Food was lovely. Paella was fab but enough for 3! Lots going on at hotel which provided lots of interest. This added to the atmosphere

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Penventon, Manager at Penventon Park Hotel, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
And with our Chef being born and bred in Spain, we can say that the Paella is authentic! Couple this with the Italian influences of our owner, Mrs Paola Pascoe who is from Venice; you can see why our hospitality and cuisine is such a feature!

We're quite a unique hotel, never having a quiet moment, which does add to our charm and ambience.

We're so pleased that you enjoyed your stay, please do visit in the future; it would be our pleasure to welcome you back.
London, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013

Good value for money but my room was a bit 'tired' e.g. there clearly were once two single beds & now they have a double & single but the old headboards were still screwed to the wall. So a plug sticks out near your head on one side of the double. Also the WC was way too close to the wall [the base was cracked as a result of lateral pressure] - the loo holder was wonky from being bashed each time you sit down. Free WiFi was good [and needed as phone reception patchy out there].
Dinner was a bit of a performance. I was warned by e-mail that I needed to book my table or they would be full, but it was only 2/4rds full at best - great marketing ploy! The place is I think best suited for retired folks rather than business people used to prompt service. They clearly try hard but the teenage waiting staff were most un-knowledgeable and simple questions required support from senior staff. There is an extensive wine list but only 3 half bottles & the bar staff also did not know about them & I was promised that a sommelier would assist. None did so I eventually ordered a glass. My order I discussed with the Maître D', but in the end I received my second choice rather than what I ordered. As it had taken a while I did not send it back. The sauce was a little salty but the scallops were fine although pots were dry. Price compared to the room was high though.
There was a cheesy pianist playing hackneyed TV theme tunes all merging into one. The locals liked it well enough though, weirdly even loudly applauding him! Also despite the haute cuisine style they aspire to, many of the men had taken pints of beer to their tables. The cheesecake was nice but clearly frozen as given away but the soggy strawberries on the top. However the home made ice cream blob with it was excellent. At breakfast service was again slow but the Eggs Benedict were excellent when they arrived & the fruity yoghurt also above average.
All the staff were very helpful, efficient and friendly. I would return, but wish they would make the food less pretentious / fussy & more efficient. They are most keen for reviews on here and so I hope they take this review on board .

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Robert_B_London61
Penventon, Manager at Penventon Park Hotel, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Completely agree re: the bed set up. The room has gone from two singles to a triple room and the headboards are due to be re-positioned.

I'm not sure on your other points, particularly the pianist, if others around you were clapping, is this not just maybe personal taste?

To know that you will wish to return means a lot to us, and we would always wish to ensure that we meet and ideally exceed guests' expectation of their stay. At any time during your next visit, if there is anything at all that you would like attending to or any request you may have, please do advise one of our Duty Managers, who will be more than happy to oblige.

Guest reviews are important to us, and we thank you for your comments; they are well received and vital to the on-going improvement of our guest offering.
Leeds
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Traditional British values with grand old building delicious breakfast and exceptional customer service. Location questionable but easy driving to south west Cornwall. Redruth itself is lacking in amenities and entertainment but ideal for quality family time together without distractions!

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Your review is a joy to read.

We attract guests who wish to have an anchor point, an ideal haven for fine food, wine and service.

Easy to get to off the motorway, when you just want to get to your hotel, after a long drive; but, ideally positioned for exploring Cornwall, being just 25 min from all major towns and attractions.

We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, and we hope that we will be given the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future.

With this in mind; we have some great breaks including festivities for the run up to Christmas, of course, the usual Christmas Packages and some early booking offers for 2014 on our website!
Marazion, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

Just spent 2 nights there. 1 night with a voucher from Pirate Fm radio station and the second night on an "indulgence offer". It was wonderful, stayed in the basic room which was lovely, had 2 spa treatments which were out of this world and the food was amazing! Staff very helpful and great service.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Penventon, Manager at Penventon Park Hotel, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
We're so pleased that you had an enjoyable stay with us.

It's our pleasure to welcome those from a far, and our local guests that look on us as an ideal destination for a couple of staycation nights away!

Keep an eye on our special offer pages, our indulgence offer runs until the end of November, and then re-launches again (with a difference) in January.

Better still, sign up for our Priority Club, and we'll give you advance notice of any future special offers.

Thank you for your lovely review, it is an absolute joy to read.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

We got engaged on an indulgence stay we over the moon the room was perfect staff very accommodating and friendly it made our engagement a night to remember and a bottle of bubbly thrown in a bid thankyou to you all and definitely see you again soon

• Stayed October 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Wow, truely fantastic! We have a wedding fayre this Sunday 13th October, we can offer you inspiration via our exhibitors, from Cakes to Canapes, Dresses to DJs! It would be great to welcome you again, do pop in and see us. Ask for Amy or Louise on the day, and one of us will provide you with any information you may find useful for your big day.

It just remains for me to say ... Congratulations!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Redruth
The Alverton
John Francis Basset Hotel
Polurrian Bay Hotel
Polurrian Bay Hotel
#2 of 2 in Mullion

Been to Penventon Park Hotel? Share your experiences!