“Old world charm, excellent service.”

Penventon Park Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Redruth
Reviewed February 21, 2013

My husband and I have just returned from our one night stay. My husband was in Redruth on business so I was pretty much left to my own devices. We booked 2 single rooms and a double. Our double room was upgraded to a garden suite which was lovely. The staff were excellent, nothing was too much trouble. I loved the old world charm of the hotel, antiques and old fashioned courtesy abound. I visited the spa and had 2 wonderful treatments by Sarah, a very experienced therapist. I do think however that the spa could be a liitle more welcoming, when I arrived I wasn't sure what to do, there was no one on the desk and no instructions as to where towels were or if gowns were provided. Perhaps an information leaflet about the spa in general would be good in the rooms rather than just a treatment booklet? The food was faultless. I had cornish seafood salad followed by venison both of which were excellent. We will definitely use this hotel again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Diana804
Write a ReviewReviews (1,304)

Reviewed February 19, 2013

We have been experiencing the fine dining at the 'PV' for many years when visiting family in the area. We visited for a sad occasion this time and booked 2 nights in a standard double; we were pleased to be upgraded to a Garden Suite which was much more luxurious. The food proved to be excellent as ever and staff so eager to please. The only small criticism was the slightly scruffy areas of some of the public rooms. Apparently the gents cloakroom had a broken tap which wasn't fixed the whole time we were there.
Well done all staff at the PV.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank hill_dweller210
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I booked the Indulgence offer for my partner's 40th birthday, which included cream tea, cocktails, three-course dinner, breakfast in bed and use of the spa facilities. We upgraded to the garden suites, which was fantastic, beautiful bathroom, lovely size room & enough to make my partner feel like I'd spoiled him.
The staff in the hotel were fantastic - attentive and friendly, and nothing was too much trouble. We had the choice of eating from the set menu or putting it towards the a la carte menu - as the set was Chinese, we went for the a la carte, the food was lovely, and I didn't need to pay much extra on top to ensure we had a lovely meal. We would certainly recommend the cheeseboard which, as most of the menu, is locally sourced. We were lucky enough to speak to one of the staff whose speciality is cheese, his enthusiasm for the subject was great & meant we were able to take away the names of our favourites for our own purchase. Breakfast-in-bed the following morning was the icing on the cake.

Now for the spa. Oh dear. I wanted to book my partner in for a massage as an added extra, where booking the hotel was simple & a one-call event, the spa was the complete opposite. I was advised by the hotel itself that they would let the spa know I wanted to book a treatment, and someone would be in contact with me within 48 hours. 48 hours later, I had to call. No answer. I sent an email, three days later - no response. I called again, no reply, so left a message on the voicemail. The following day I receive a call on my mobile, they've booked me in for 2 treatments, one after the other, can I call and confirm I want them? I called back - no reply, so left another message correcting them with what I actually wanted, which had been sent to them in an email. The next day, another message, along the lines of 'you haven't bothered to contact us, you need to call or we'll cancel your appointments'. Another call, finally spoke to someone & corrected it but, because my confidence in their organisation was so low, I sent an email requesting confirmation in writing. I did receive this confirmation, but it was with trepidation I arrived at the spa on the Saturday afternoon.

We arrive, head down to the spa, only to be...greeted isn't really the right word. The boy on the front desk had no idea what we were there for or what we wanted, I had to repeat myself and we were finally pointed in the direction of the treatment rooms with a wave of the hand. I'd like to point out here that the lady who did the treatment was brilliant, and the treatment was really enjoyed, so there is no criticism for that.

I went back to the room to get my stuff to use the other facilities, took my towel from my room as there was no obvious sign that towels would be provided in the spa, walked back into the spa to be ignored, and it wasn't until my partner asked later that he was told towels were available behind the reception desk and to help ourselves.

A small amount of effort from the spa staff would have made this a completely different review, but unfortunately we were made to feel like we were in the way, a bit of an annoyance & personally, I felt awkward & uncomfortable rather than relaxed. For a hotel which sells itself as a spa hotel, the spa part really lets it down.

The hotel as a separate entity would get a 5 from us, unfortunately the spa does need to improve on its customer service.

Room Tip: Garden suite has a fantastic bathroom with a lovely powerful shower over a bath.
Reviewed February 16, 2013

My daughter's hubby and sister chose this hotel to host a secret birthday party and approximately 10 rooms were booked to accommodate family and friends. The Hotel and setting looked amazing and the decor was a bit over the top with the Italian influences and chandeliers but not oppressive. The rooms were shabby and although bedding was clean no valance on divan bed left a poor impression. The rooms were tired and bathrooms equally tired. Staff were welcoming and helpful.
Our first meal was dinner and the prawn and crab cocktail starter with defrosted prawns was tasteless and although the menu warned that it was likely that crab shell might be present it was in small print and not very nice when I found my bit! The rest of the meal was mediocre to say the least.
The catering and room for the party itself was good and I was pleasantly surprised by the standard of selection and quality of warm and cold buffet offered. However, I was again disappointed by breakfast. Although it is a 3 star hotel, the setting and building could easily be a 4 star if more attention was paid to updating the rooms and more care and attention was given to the catering. I would not stay there again and would certainly not eat there.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Sue N
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Took my husband to The Penventon Park hotel for his birthday......I booked for the indulgence offer £129 for two people for one night to include use of all facilities, cornish cream tea, three course meal (steak diane was gorgeous),cocktails and breakfast in bed. We had a lovely time, the hotel is really nice and all the staff were wonderful......a very enjoyable stay.....a big thank you to all the staff!!!

2  Thank Helen H
Reviewed February 15, 2013

This is an impressive, old world, hotel, full of beautiful furnishings and decoration. It is a world away from the sterile, minimalist chains. And it was not at all expensive.
I understand it is family owned. The staff are really friendly and helpful, the restaurant team especially were a joy to speak with, such a pride in their work, their training and a love of what they do, shone through. The room I had turned out to be a suite! Huge, immaculate and well furnished.
The food is just great, wide range of breakfast dishes, including local fish.I stayed for lunch and was delighted with the attention to detail, the quality and the generous portions.Cannot fault it. And the restaurant was decorated for Valentine's day, again, attention to detail. Dont go past this hotel!

Room Tip: I dont think there was air con in my room so this was not a problem.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank 108Chrissie
Reviewed February 14, 2013

I frequented this hotel well over 35 years ago. The restaurant was excellent then and it is even better now. The standard and quality of dining will take a lot of beating. My partner and I went to the restaurant for Valentine's Day evening meal and could not fault a single thing. It was of a very high order indeed.
The staff were well trained and could not do enough to make our evening successful.

2  Thank Edward W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Redruth
The Alverton
The Carlyon Bay
The Carlyon Bay
#1 of 9 in St Austell
John Francis Basset Hotel

Been to Penventon Park Hotel? Share your experiences!