“Warm and comfortable”

Penventon Park Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Redruth
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We knew nothing about Redruth but the hotel looked good, which it was. We were upgraded to a suite, which was a large bedroom with a sofa and coffee table in a sitting area. This was a nice addition and great for relaxing and watching TV. The bathroom was also good, with fluffy white towels on a heated towel rail. There was only one slight issue which was that the temperature of the water for the over-bath shower was adjusted by using the separate hot and cold taps. This took some doing, but once set was fine! Whilst some areas of the hotel looked a little tired, eg carpets worn, the hotel as a whole was very warm and comfortable. As other reviewers have said, the food was excellent, with a variety of hot breakfasts cooked to order. My husband had the "Eggs Benedict" on both mornings. I'm glad he enjoyed it as he's not likely to get it at home! Staff were friendly but did seem a little unsure of themselves on the Saturday morning, possibly they had some new young staff who will be fine with more experience. We also ate in the hotel restaurant on the Saturday night, having booked a table before travelling there. It was very relaxed and enjoyable, a step back in time. The food was excellent. Fairly expensive, which I suppose is to be expected in a hotel of this sort, but worth it. We ate elsewhere on our other night's stay, which was a good decision. We found that there is really nothing much in Redruth and no other decent restaurants within walking distance, unfortunately, so this is best used as a base for visiting other nearby places, of which there are lots.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 1, 2012

I stayed at Penventon Park for 2 nights whilst on a course. I cannot praise the staff enough, they were so friendly and made my stay an enjoyable one. Bad bits: My room was surprisingly small which was a huge disappointment and the TV above the desk made it difficult to study. There was a sticker in the shower saying "Remove after installation" on it which they clearly had not removed. The bathroom sink was too small to even brush my teeth in. It would have been nice to have a luggage stand. The maid left my ground floor window open which I understand you need to circulate some air but not when my stuff is in there. Good bits: Can I just say the staff again were great. The bathroom was lovely. The food was absolutely sensational. Top class. It was clean and had a warm feeling to it. It was a really nice stay and I will stay there again. Hopefully, next time I'll get a bigger room.

Room Tip: I was in a single room so maybe the doubles are much bigger.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Eugiebabe
Reviewed September 27, 2012

We held our wedding reception at the Penventon, and i cannot praise this hotel and the staff enough!!! From the initial veiwing of the venue to the actual wedding day, the staff couldnt do enough for us; they were very approachable, friendly and did more than meet our needs and requests throughout the whole 'wedding process'. On the day, the service was excellent, the food was amazing with all 85 of us being served hot, delicious food, without anyone having to wait at any point; the tables were even offered extra helpings of the main course! We had more guests join us for the evening and again staff did not fail to continue delivering an outstanding service throughout the night to such a large number of people. Most of our guests stayed overnight (several staying two nights) and all made comments on how spacious, clean, and reasonable the rooms were, with a fantastic breakfast menu the following morning. I would recommend this hotel to anyone, especially those thinking of a wedding venue. The staff are attentive, and welcoming. They went above and beyond our expectations for our big day. The hotel itself is very attractive, with large rooms, and communial areas, and excellent facilities. All in all, a fantastic weekend at a fantastic hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Amy W
Reviewed September 23, 2012

I much prefer the older hotels than the box lodges etc and wasn't disappointed. Staff were always helpful and friendly. Food was very good even though we never ate in the restaurant as we had it delivered to the bar next door as they run a Bogof drinks promotion most of the week! My room was fine although my colleague was given the bridal suite for some reason! So his was just a tad nicer!!! Disappointed that he wasn't haunted though as the hotel has stories of ghosts wandering the rooms! Overall a great stay just expect a few creaky floorboards etc

Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank ScottyMclue
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Stayed there for 3 nights last week on business and I must say I thought it was fantastic. Not often do you stay in a hotel these days and receive the kind of service I had from the guys in there. Nothing was to much trouble and they remained polite, professional and personable throughout our entire stay. Food was great and the location was spot on. I would highly recommend to anyone looking to stay in or around the area.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Jon A
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Although this was only a one night stay and time did not allow a visit to the spa, I would definitely return. The interiors of the public spaces just have to be the 'heaviest' decor I have ever seen - but its far from tacky, with everything in its place its all very well kept and not a spec of dust to be seen! The hotel is family owned and run, and this really shows through with the friendly style but good standard of service.
The standard twin room was a little small but had everything needed; beds & pillows could be improved; en-suite was large and all was very clean. The creaky floors are part of the hotel's character but could be annoying if your room happened to be in the 'wrong' place.
Dinner food was superb with starters and desserts providing a very satisfying meal! Breakfast was also good.

Room Tip: Call the hotel direct to discuss your room needs.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Myself and my wife visited this hotel for three nights over the weekend, firstly the food is superbly presented and delicious. the room was good size rather poor natural lighting, very squeaky flooring and passageways to and from the room all the rooms were fitted with standard fire doors which meant that when people returned at night along with the squeaky floors came a loud bang of the doors.closing, we had no hot water the first night it was reported a porter was sent to our room ? sorry sir its because we are so busy ? Not really what you want after a long day travelling.
I ordered a drink and specific mixer in the bar on two nights this was substituted for a different brand and was discussted with the attitude of the barmaid on Friday night however the one on Saturday night apologised for the mistake?
Overall the Hotel and the staff were excellent shame about the noisy doors and floors which ruined our stay we were advised to ask for a garden suite next time which is the new part of the hotel.I mentioned this to the manager who said they have been too busy to do anything about this and its doubtful they will have the time this year with the bookings they currently have.
The only advice I can give is ask for a garden suite if you are a light sleeper.

Room Tip: Choose a garden suite less noisy
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Redruth
The Alverton
Tregenna Castle Resort
The Greenbank Hotel
The Greenbank Hotel
#2 of 24 in Falmouth

Been to Penventon Park Hotel? Share your experiences!