“Top Dog Of Cornwall Event”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Tricky's Hotel

Tricky's Hotel
Ranked #5 of 10 Redruth B&B and Inns
Camborne, United Kingdom
“Top Dog Of Cornwall Event”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2014

I am the Secretary for Camborne Redruth Canine Society & last year I discovered this little gem. I was looking for somewhere extra special which could cater for a top quality formal event. 2013 saw our canine society & Trickys' stage the return of 'Top Dog of Cornwall' which had been absent from the dog show calendar for several years; it was a roaring success!!!
Last night was time for a repeat performance for the second year running. The dedicated team that ARE Trickys' were so professional; nothing was too much trouble & I was always greeted with a smile. I can truly say the 3 course meal that was served to us was delicious & I ate the best starter I have ever eaten.
Sitting listening to the guests enjoy their evening was a huge reward. So thank you to each & everyone at Trickys' who helped me make this event a huge success. I have already booked our event with the team for 2015. Thanks guys you were brilliant, just can't see how you are going to better last night it was amazing!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Benoveor

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Wiltshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013

Forget premier travel inn - this beats it hands down. Excellent food, lovely staff, warm, comfortable, quiet - loads of hot water - can't fault it.

I will be travelling down four times a year - just hope I can get in - brilliant!

The only thing they could do to improve it is to fix a small tray in the shower to put the shampoo bottles on.

1 Thank WiltsGolfer
travexLondon, Owner at Tricky's Hotel, responded to this review, December 27, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review us on trip advisor and for your glowing recommendation. We do fall into the same sector as Travel Lodge and Premier Inn but our room tariff is all inclusive with breakfast, wifi, parking, free use of the on-site gym etc. It is great to read that you found all aspects of the stay to be good and thanks for the tip about the showers - we will attend to that. It is always best to call our reception direct to ensure we have availability and we can often beat the online booking sites for value. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013 via mobile

One night stop off arriving late.
Enjoyed a great pint of Local ale and bottle of Chilean red with a steak meal. The rump cooked to perfection however the thin ribeye was slightly over cooked but tasty.
Room very clean and warm.
WiFi needed a reboot to work but once working it was very fast throughout the facilities.
Shower warm but not that hot unless you flush the toilet first!
Breakfast very good with local yoghurt.
Overall good value at £75 for two B&B

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Yorkshire1245
Thank you for taking the time to review us on trip advisor and for your positive comments. We do try to provide good value for money and with us there are no hidden extras, breakfast is included in our room price along with parking, wifi etc. Thank you for mentioning the shower/toilet thing but you have got us a little baffled as we have never had that feedback but we will keep an eye on that. We are delighted you enjoyed your meals up in our bar/restaurant.
Preston, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013

Just had two nights stay while on business : first the good:
• Good location, just off the beaten path but handy for Portreath and Redruth
• Staff were very pleasant
• Nice bar
• Great food in the restaurant
• The bed was really comfy and good quality bedding/towels
• Great breakfast
The bad:
• Room had a funny fishy smell (I didn’t find anything dead in there)
• Lighting poor – lit by three energy bulbs that took 5 mins to warm up
• Sink was stained/marked
• The heating didn’t work in my room and when it did it seemed to be only on first thing in the morning and in the early evening so if you were in the room between these times…
• The wi-fi didn’t work
• The hot water ran out at 6pm on the two nights I stayed there so I couldn’t have a shower
• Nowhere to put your toiletries when having a shower
• No phone or alarm clock in the room
• No plugs by the bed
• The room/bathroom could do with a bit of a refresh – clean and tidy but looking a bit dated
To be fair the rooms were pretty reasonably priced and they did give me a £20 discount for the trouble so at least they acknowledged the issues I experienced – most of which was down to faulty plumbing. I didn’t use the gym

Room Tip: I think all the rooms are exactly the same.
1 Thank monkeyboy67
Thank you for taking the time to review us on trip advisor and for being so detailed with your feedback. We did have a fault on our boiler in November but it was attended to very quickly and normal service was resumed within a few hours but please accept our apologies if you got caught up in this. I think we can learn from your stay that we need to improve our communication and perhaps provide clearer information about which way to turn the controls to get hot water as the boiler is always on a t pm so there should never be a shortage of water. We are also attending to the storage of toiletries in the shower areas. It is great to read that our team looked after you so well.
Daventry, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013

strange place it is in middle of no were when walked into room a little cold but room clean and bed looked great as got into place, went for dinner dish of day cottage pie. this sounds bland but was fantastic really enjoyed it breakfast good only think wrong was cold shower in morning.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for reviewing us on trip advisor and for your positive comments. By the comments you have made about the room temperature and the cold shower I can only assume that you stayed on the day we had a fault on the boiler. I am sorry for the inconvenience this caused but please be assured that our plumber responded very quickly and normal service was resumed within a few hours. It is great to read that you enjoyed the food you ordered in the bar/restaurant where our team work hard to produce great value, large portions of good home cooked food. We hope you will visit again soon.
ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with my company for 5 weeks, and I can't thank all the staff enough.
I would highly recommend the food/gym and the location just about everything.
Thank you tricky's for making my time in Cornwall memorable.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank jackocomms
travexLondon, Owner at Tricky's Hotel, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Thank you for reviewing us on trip advisor and indeed for giving us such a glowing reference! Our 'lodge' style accommodation is ideal for business travellers and holiday makers alike and unlike some of the national chains in this sector of the market we don't charge for the extras - breakfast, parking, wifi and use of the onsite gym are all free of charge! we also have a great bar/restaurant offering good value home cooked food in large portions - something for everyone we hope. It is always worth giving our receptionists a call to reserve a room as we can usually beat the price quoted on any of the online booking sites.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

I have to be honest this place is a little off the main road and on first sight I did wonder what I had done. Firstly this place is not the Ritz and it does not try to be but there are lots os plus points.Rooms aare equiped with all you need and have plenty of room. They are clean, warm and well presented. Check in staff are so polite and helpful that straght away I was at ease.
I have found a very reasonable little gem that I will be using every time I am in the area. What really surprised me was the pub/restaurent on site. Staff were simply very pleasant, helpful and always had a smile. Lorraine and Gill were exceptional. The food is very reasonable and simply great but take your appetite as you will need it here. Overall it was a very pleasant experiance and I will be going back again.

Room Tip: I stayed in room one. View over the gardens was very pleasant. Because of its location all rooms are...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Dave T
Thank you for taking the time to review us on trip advisor and for your positive comments - it is great to read that we more than exceeded your expectations. I think you have hit the nail on the head we are not the Ritz but neither do we charge their prices! We aim to offer good value for money in the 'lodge' sector of the market with none of the hidden extras you may find in the national chains - we include breakfast, wifi access, parking and use of the on site gym in the room charge and if you book direct by phone with our reception we will always try to beat any of the online booking sites.
It is also great to read that you enjoyed our bar/restaurant in terms of both the food and the service - we will pass your comments onto our team. Looking forward to welcoming you back soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Redruth
Penventon Park Hotel
#4 of 6 in Truro
The Cedars B&B
The Cedars B&B
#1 of 10 in Redruth

Been to Tricky's Hotel? Share your experiences!