“It's complicated ....”

Ranked #2 of 67 Restaurants in Redruth
Cuisines: European, International, Gastropub
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Very sorry for any inconvenience, but we are currently closed for a refurbishment and will be open again on 31st January. Please keep up to date on our website and face book pages, many thanks.
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I have been several times to The Golden Lion for a meal and I have to say, it really wasn't that good. My husband & I wondered how on earth they had won an award! The first time I ate there was a themed night and the food was mediocre and somehow, curiously dated. The artificial flowers, red paper napkins, dark wood' wonky lampshades and red pub carpet doesn't help. It's like going for a pub meal circa 1970. The second night was unfortunately Mother's Day and so there was a set menu. Basically, a Sunday lunch. It was horrible. Watery cabbage, fatty meat, rock hard potatoes. My worst nightmare - 10 school meals rolled into one! And, it's a shame because the staff are very obliging, the beer is fine, the garden is superb. I went quite lately however, and filled with trepidation I ordered the steak pie and my friend had fish and chips. The batter in the fish was superb. The fish was lovely. The chips lovely and crispy. The steak in my pie was delicious ( I hate kidney so I left that) and the pastry was fine with lots of tasty gravy. It was adequate pub food, well cooked (except for the parsnips which were very hard) and it was enjoyable and reasonably priced. Perhaps they have a new cook? Perhaps I just was unfortunate the two times before? I do know, I would visit any time for the lovely gardens and beer and I feel more confident about the food now. Keep it up and my next review could be better than average.

1  Thank Loobdylu
john g, Owner at The Golden Lion Inn & Lakeside Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Thank you for your review, I am glad that you enjoyed your recent meal. Our chefs have been with us for many years, (head chef about 10 years.) Our ' decor ' is as you say dated, some would say traditional,but we have NEVER had artificial flowers, Thanks again.

Reviewed June 12, 2013

We had the reception following our daughter's Christening at The Golden Lion, and we could not have asked for a better afternoon. the food was excellent, the staff were very helpful and efficient, and our whole party had a lovely time. Even though we were a large group, all the food came out together and piping hot, and was delicious. thank you very much!

Reviewed June 8, 2013

The food was okay, the atmosphere wasnt great though. Very rude man, who appeared to be the manager, was unhelpful and seemed to have no idea what he was doing. Won't return.

3  Thank Yellow547
john g, Owner at The Golden Lion Inn & Lakeside Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2013

Thank you for your review, but I do not understand it, as we currently have no male front of house staff, management or otherwise. I am sure I have not been rude to you, or any other customers. I would be grateful if you would contact me personally as I would like to get to the bottom of this.

Reviewed June 8, 2013

Once again we had an excellent meal here. There is an extensive menu and all of the food was freshly prepared and delicious. The serving staff were VERY keen to please and if anything the service was a little too quick at times! Well done yet again, we will certainly return.
By becoming a member of the email club, it is possible to get special deals here.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

This pub is in a stunning location and has a beautiful garden .
The potential here is unlimited ...the old part of the pub is full of wonderful period features .
The conservatory area is dated dirty and unappealing ... dirty paintwork wallpaper peeling off the walls and filthy faded patterned carpet.
Sunday lunch was tasteless and poorly cooked .. not good value for money .
Go for a drink and sit in the garden but dont bother with the food .!

1  Thank degslegs

Thank you for you review. I am sorry if you did not enjoy your meal. I agree that the wallpaper has faded in the windows, and the carpet is worn in the doorways, ( heavy traffic,) we are hoping to refurbish soon.However the carpets and paintwork are NOT dirty. I invite you, or Alex Polizzi, to show me any dirt.