“Gourmet food it ain't”

Cuisines: European, International, Gastropub
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed February 9, 2013

The restaurant is well advertised as having excellent gourmet food so as devout foodies, J and I had to try it out one lunchtime. The pub looks nice inside although it was a great shame they hadn’t lit the large inglenook’d stove taking pride of place in the bar (it was freezing outside). The décor of the restaurant was plain but quite attractive and looked out to the extensive gardens to the lake beyond. The menu was quite limited so I had good old fish n chips and J had game casserole. The fish was watery, undercooked but mushy. The mushy peas (in a bowl) had been microwaved and were dry as a bone on the edge and blistering hot in the middle. The chips looked suspiciously pre frozen from a bag and weren’t at all crisp. It was all quite unpleasant and I did something I never do… left half of it. The casserole had four big dumplings (not at all tasting of the stilton they were supposed to contain) which were only slightly less in number than the pieces of meat. A few tokens of veg and some gravy with no depth whatsoever was what you got for £13. How they were ‘Recommended’ by the Gourmet Society is a complete mystery. The beer was good though so next time I’ll stick to just a pint.

1  Thank Earthstrider

Reviewed February 9, 2013

Just had a lovely evening after work. Trundled along because we couldn't be bothered to cook and got excellent service and excellent food.

Good choice on the menu of homely food with proper portions!

Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

The restaurant was recommended to us and on first impressions we were pleased however the food was no more than average. It wasn't horrible but neither was it amazing. I would go back if I was passing but I would not hold any great expectations.

1  Thank synprop
Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

Overall a very good place... Nice food although the menu is a bit limited. Could do with some more fresh food.

Reviewed December 22, 2012

I've frequented this pub about a dozen times over the past 5 years and it has gotten worse each time. Last night was the final straw.

The cheese soufflé was gorgeous, but the autumn mixed grill came out with hot chips and cold meats. I pointed this out to the waitress and she took it away only to bring it back out 2 mins later with a fresh piece of garnish; still cold! It was taken away for a second time and came back 2 mins later slightly hotter having been in the microwave ( salad was hot and meat was dry). I gave up, trying not to make a scene and upsetting the friends I were with as their meals were fine.

Plus, the owner was sat at the bar eavesdropping on our conversation all night, which only adding to the misery.

When I went up to pay, they had charged me the full price for my meal (£15.50, a mixed grill from Wetherspoons was better quality at half the price). The waiter didn't ask how the meals went down, so I decided to tell him that mine was absolutely disgusting and wouldn't be coming back , to which he said sorry; that's it.

So on summary, I would say this place is over priced and punching way above its abilities in the cooking department. Over pretentious, over priced and no atmosphere. £19.95 for a bottle of McGuigans Black Label red wine, when its £5.50 a bottle in the shops.

Never going back.