“our stay in the Autumn 0f 2013”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Talland Bay Hotel

Talland Bay Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Porthallow
Braintree, United Kingdom
“our stay in the Autumn 0f 2013”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2014

Our experience at Talland Bay

View 10/10 fantastic for where it is
Garden 10/10 magical, wonderland
Hotel 08/10 almost perfect, too warm, no air conditioning
Cleanliness 10/10
Room6/10 room 21 too small, no anti scald device on shower; if not careful could severely burn. This is so simple to correct with a pre-set mixer on the hot supply under the bath. Bathroom tiling was not up to professional standard
Food 9/10 fast but steak only went up to sirloin, expected and wanted fillet from such a nice place
Service 9/10 slow on clearing used items on table when staff available
Staff 10/10 very friendly
Value for money 8/10 room overpriced, drinks a little too much, food OK
The whole experience 8/10 would have been 9/10 if owners more welcoming
Owners, disappointingly unfriendly and somewhat arrogant
Yes I am referring to Vanessa and Michael. Michael who I unwittingly referred to as the chef to Vanessa (as he was always in a chefs white jacket and only time we saw him was at meal times) overheard and was very abrupt in telling me not to call him chef; twice. I did not know him as the owner! Well, if chef is to demining then he should consider that the hotel would not function on the scale that it does with just the owners; staff are important! We arrived in a £36,000 (13 reg) VW Transporter Kombi 4x4 and I felt as if we were being looked down upon as we were not Richard and Judy – if you get my drift? At the time of leaving and checking out we paid Vanessa her second compliment by saying we loved her inspiration, flair and imagination for design and told her that we worked closely with top interior designers and that her tastes were on par and very professional – she almost ignored us when Michael turned up and the pair of them just walked into the garden to look at some tree without saying any form of goodbye – very sad as we were considering this magical place for our Christmas break.

We have stayed in much bigger and better hotels, stately homes, etc. and have paid a lot more money. But what make this hotel so special is the interior design and the wonderful garden. Message to the manager – please ensure that Michel and Vanessa read this and comment in person!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

My partner and I stayed in room 12 at the Talland Bay Hotel from 30th December to 2nd January on their new year package. There was a small problem with flies in the room when we arrived but this was sorted out very quickly. Of more concern was the malfunctioning pump for the shower in the bathroom. We reported that the shower was more of a trickle rather than anything resembling a proper shower and were informed later in the day that the water pump was not working and could not be fixed during our stay. We were offered an alternative room but we decided to put up with the problem to continue to enjoy the view from room 12. Our choice so I can't really complain.

The food was, as with our previous visit, superb as was the New Years Eve party. Again the service from all of the staff was excellent and our thanks go to Michael and all of his team.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are worth the extra
Worcester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2014

We spent Christmas here and were very impressed. Fantastic location, lovely food and very attentive staff. The attention to detail was impressive from lovely decorations to stockings from Santa. Organised activities were low key but great fun.
The food was excellent with a very good choice and no compulsory turkey.
We enjoyed all the dogs that were around and would love to come back with dog owning friends.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a larger room if you can.
Ashford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

We called into this beautiful hotel whist visiting Cornwall during Xmas and New Year for an afternoon cream tea....
We were made to feel very welcome by the very kind staff. We were seated in the front conservatory with magnificent views of the bay...
The cream tea was one of the best I've had, wonderful warm scones and loads of clotted cream and jam...
We had a look around the hotel while we were there and it is beautifully furnished and the xmas decorations looked amazing....
I looked at the hotels Xmas package booklet and I would definitely consider staying here over a Christmas period as it looked like you would be treated like royalty....
A gem of a find which perhaps I should of kept secret......

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Chipping Norton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014

We recently returned from a fantastic 3 night New Year's Eve break at Talland Bay. We had visited twice before but as these visits were in summer, we were interested to see how the hotel would fair in winter. The answer is perfectly. Despite the fierce gales, it was warm and cosy, a wonderfully comfortable place in which to relax after a bracing walk along the cliffs. Our room (we were in Room1), with its tasteful decor, personal touches and incredible sea views, was one of the best we have ever stayed in. Like the the rest of the hotel, it was spotlessly clean.
The food on all 3 nights was delicious, although top marks must go to the New Year's Eve Buffet, particularly the lobster. The staff were, as on previous occasions, excellent, combining super efficient service with relaxed friendliness; not an easy feat. They certainly helped New Year's Eve go with a swing!
Much is made of the hotel's 'quirkiness'. To us, this is one of its attractions and what helps to make it special. On each of our visits we have 'discovered' paintings and object d'art that have delighted or amused us.
We recommend Talland Bay without reservation and will be back, hopefully soon.

1 Thank Spineyviney
Bedfordshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2013

We stayed for Christmas, arrving in driving rain and before I could open the door, Steve, was out of the hotel to help with the bags. Our room was light, airy comfortable and warm, with a lovely view over the bay. The hotel was well decorated, for the festive season. Food was of a high standard and service was attentive without being obsequious. Nothing was too much trouble, even the making of a hot toddy for a cold I inherited. Breakfast was taken in either the restaurant or the conservatory. On Christmas night a buffet was laid on, I doubt that any of us did justice to it having consumed the Christmas meal at lunchtime. it was the same standard as all the other meals.
The hotel sits above the bay and the south west coast path, however, the path to Looe is currently closed due to the weather. I have seen comments about the size of the car park which I disagree with and found parking no problem. Likewise the" road to the Hotel is narrow" well it is Cornwall !
I can only agree with my fellow visitor who described it as fantastic, it deserves all its accolades.

Bristol
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2013

Just returned from spending 3 nights here on the Christmas package and it was absolutely fantastic.

The staff were so attentive, friendly and helpful - they couldn't do enough for you. They are super dog-friendly and make such a fuss of your dog bringing out regular chicken treats! Dogs can go anywhere in the hotel except in the restaurant which is really nice as you can relax knowing they're happy by your side. If you don't like dogs, or indeed cats, you probably shouldn't come here!

The food was divine. I have some dietary requirements and all I had to do was ask and they altered some of the ingredients for me so I could take advantage of the stunning menu on offer. Thank you so much to the chefs for this as I love my food but I can be fussy and I enjoyed everything I ate because they were flexible for me. As it was Christmas there was a full programme of food, drinks and entertainment - 5 course dinners, champagne, buffet lunches, midnight mass, a quiz, treasure hunt etc!

Our room was ample in size, comfy beds, a good sized bathroom and had all the facilities you could want from peppermint tea to a sewing kit! My only criticism would be that our room (16) was a bit chilly for my liking during the afternoon. The heating didn't come on until 5pm and by that time it had cooled down a lot and the heated towel rail in the bathroom barely got warm at any time. To be fair we were offered an extra heater which we didn't take. I also think the room was let down by the single glazed windows - I'm sure the room would be warmer and quieter with double glazing. I think some of the rooms may have this already, perhaps it is something that will be installed in all the rooms eventually. I'm not really complaining, I just like my warmth!

The whole building and grounds had been decorated beautifully for Christmas - xmas trees lit up by night in the garden, numerous trees inside with presents underneath them, little xmas ornaments in the room which all together made it look so cosy and inviting. The lounge/bar area was very comfortable and we spent a lot of time relaxing there, meeting other guests and taking advantage of the free wifi.

The hotel is in a beautiful location. The road is a little narrow to get to it but it's nothing to worry about, it's not too long and there are passing places. A few minutes walk down the road from the hotel is a small sand/shingle beach which we enjoyed visiting each day and letting our dog run on. The way back up is a bit steep though but good for burning some calories! We also took a walk along the coastal path to Polperro which is about 1.5 miles. It is a little steep in places but manageable and the views are stunning. Polperro is a pretty little harbour and nice to wander around, although a lot of the shops and cafes are closed during winter. We also visited Looe which has a lovely beach but unfortunately dogs are banned so this wasn't as good for us!

Would definitely love to return to the Talland Bay Hotel in the summer to enjoy some more excellent food and top service from this friendly and superbly-run hotel. I think a lot of hotel owners/managers could learn a lot from the team here. Big thanks to Steven, Michael, Vanessa and all the staff for the excellent job they do. Here's to another Trip Advisor award for excellence next year!

Room Tip: Get one which has double glazed windows!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank BristolShortcake
Also consider these accommodations in or near Porthallow
Trelaske Hotel & Restaurant
The Carlyon Bay
The Carlyon Bay
#1 of 9 in St Austell
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,489 reviews

Been to Talland Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!