“One you must try out, a hidden Gem.”
Review of Talland Bay Hotel

Talland Bay Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Porthallow
Reviewed May 23, 2011

Just returned from a 2 night stay at this hotel with family and friends, checked out some reviews beforehand but also went with open mind.
This is one of the nicest hotels we have ever stayed in, this 20 bed Hotel is a real hidden gem and you would not be dissapointed with it.
Yes it is not the cheapest hotel but you would not expect it to be if you were considering booking it once you have looked at the web site and possibly some reveiews, they say you get what you pay for and here you certainly do.
The Hotel is magnificent, it has magical touches and you could honestly not get a better location than this, if you are looking for a quiet getaway from it all weekend or mid week break then this has got to be it.
All the staff are brilliant and very happy to deal with requests and do so with a smile, the food is fantastic and of a first class standard and having two dinning options there would be something to suit most tastes, the rooms are kept very nice and clean and very are very tastefully decorated, all in all a first class experience and i cannot praise highly enough the owners, managers and all staff for making our 2 night stay a magical stay, keep up the good work and everyone that is thinking of booking this hotel do yourself a favour and just book it.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
tallandbay, Manager at Talland Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2011

thank you for your kind words. Look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed May 23, 2011

I am always on the look-out for top-notch hotels that are dog-friendly and now I've found one that I'll definitely return to.

Having looked at the hotel online I liked the look of it, but it completely surpassed my expectations. The owners, Vanessa and Michael (and Archie), and all the staff make you very welcome - nothing is too much trouble for them.

I particularly loved the decor and furnishings - all the object d'art are great fun - and in the gorgeous garden there's something amusing around every corner. We stayed in one of the cottages with our two Cocker Spaniels, so it felt very private and suited the dogs perfectly because I felt we weren't in the way of other non-doggy guests.

I have to save some very high praise for the food. We love to eat (and drink) very well and I thought the food was absolutely faultless: really pretty perfect.

1  Thank ChrisN45

Thank you very much for your comments. I will pass on your kind words to David, head chef and his team. Vanessa's dog is call Alfie not Archie but he will answer to anything if his given a treat. Look forward to welcoming you back to Talland Bay Hotelin the near future

Reviewed May 22, 2011

We arrived at this beautiful spot overlooking Talland Bay to be greeted by a most welcoming staff who continued to make our 5 night stay a joy. Our sea view room was comfortable, roomy and very well equipped.

We ate in the dining room each evening enjoying superb food served in a pleasant atmosphere by friendly staff.

All in all a terrific start to our 2011 breaks, we just hope our other bookings for later on in the year can measure up.

Room Tip: Ask the receptionists advice.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
tallandbay, Manager at Talland Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2011

Thank you very much for your kind words and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Best Regards,

Mark Huckaby-Stretch

Reviewed May 21, 2011

We had a table booked for 5, and after pre-dinner drinks we moved into the restaurant for our meal. 4 of the party enjoyed 2 courses at £32,plus various surcharges, but I chose to only have one, skipping the starter and having the steak with the £3 surcharge instead.
When the dessert menu was passed around I asked the waitress if I would be charged for 2 courses even though I had only had one - I fully expected the answer to be no - after all how can you be charged for food that hasn't been consumed?

The waitress returned and said yes I would be charged! This really annoyed me as I was already being charged a surcharge for my main course and now I was going to be charged for a second course I didn't want.

This dinner was a treat for our aunt and I didn't want to spoil the evening for the other members of our party by causing an embarrassing situation at the table. We then had a ridiculous discussion at the table about ordering from the dessert menu, as we were going to be charged in any event, even though everyone was too full to eat anything else! I couldn't bear the thought of such waste and didn't order anything. Our final bill came to just under £270.
I really believe that it is extremely poor to charge diners for food that isn't required. If all 5 of us had only wanted one course I could have understood that perhaps that would be unreasonable, even though the dining room was not full, but when 80 per cent of the party take 2 courses I think it is completely unacceptable to make this surcharge. The menu also failed to say that there was a minimum charge in operation.

Why is it necesary to penalise guests for wanting to eat less but still enjoy a good dining experience? Surely the experience should be about what diners want and not what suits the Hotel's coffers.

When I complained via email I was told I should have eaten in the Brasserie with my guests if I didn't want 2 courses!! What a great way to treat your diners. This also seems to suggest that we all know in advance of arrival exactly how much food we intend to consume that evening - how very ridiculous.

An even better idea is not to bother eathing there at all.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
8  Thank katy1707

Thank you for taking the time to write such a long review. From the many, many guests and visitors we have had in our Restaurant, it has never been brought to our attention before that the menu could be perceived as unclear. However, we do take note of your comments and for future reference would suggest that if you are unsure just ask.

Our 2 AA Rosette Terrace Restaurant clearly states the price for a 2 or 3 course dinner. We only wish you had raised your concerns with us 'quietly' on the evening of your visit .

Reviewed May 17, 2011

Just had an excellent three night break here. On arrival, we were given a rather disappointing attic bedroom (room 12). Though newly refurbished, my husband would have found the second very steep staircase to the room too much, so we were immediately upgraded to a superb suite (room 1) at no extra cost on first floor.
We found the hotel in an ideal quiet location, with fabulous sea views (though a long walk to the sea, but no matter.) The staff are all English intelligent people, who are charming, helpful and courteous, without being over intrusive. The rooms are decorated in a smart contemporary manner. I thought a London interior decorator had been responsible, but no, it was Vanessa, the proprietoress who had been responsible. The food was 'sans pareil', certainly equal to any Michelin starred restaurant, though pricey. IN short it was just ideal for those wishing to get away from it all, for a few days quiet break, without children, but with dogs if required. Excellent in every way.

Reviewed May 15, 2011

We arrived in sunshine and left with it. The location in Porthhallow in Cornwall was beautiful so peaceful and secluded. Our room was very clean with all the amenities you could wish for. The bed was so comfortable. The interior of the hotel had obviously been thoughtfully designed with lots of quirky things to look at and enjoy. The food and the staff were all very good. Everything was spotlessly clean and tidy. We could not find anything wrong with the place and will definitely be returning in the future.

Room Tip: the best rooms will be at the front of the hotel .
1  Thank tammytoodles
Reviewed May 13, 2011

I went down to this beautiful hotel with my hubby for a two night stay. On arrival which was at night, we were greeted by very friendly staff who made booking in quick and easy.
We were shown to our room which had a sea view and my goodness what a fantastic room.
In the morning we woke to a spectacular view over the sea and countryside. Breakfast was fantastic on both mornings and could not in any way be faulted. The hotels interior and exterior shows the owners love of cats and quirky objects but is done in a tasteful way. The gardens are beautifully kept and the view from the law breathtaking.
I would not hesitate returning to this hotel and whilst on the upper price range it is very much worth the money.
In all great staff and great hotel, fab part of the country

1  Thank heathend
Also consider these accommodations in or near Porthallow
2 mi away
Trelaske Hotel & Restaurant
The Fowey Hotel
The Fowey Hotel
#3 of 3 in Fowey

Been to Talland Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!