“NOT your home away from home... if u just want a nice room with no service then pay for it and go here”

and 1 more site!
St George's Country House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Perranporth
Reviewed November 5, 2011

Bed and Breakfast for me means “a home away from home.” I think it should feel as though you are staying with long time friends. As a business owner myself, I expect a certain level of customer service which includes being treated kindly, with respect and most certainly feel welcomed. When choosing a B&B, I often choose 4* plus because I want a certain amount of luxury as well as being waited on. For my husbands birthday weekend we chose the St Georges hotel because they advertised that they were dog friendly and they had a room available with a Jacuzzi en-suite bathroom. This was perfect for us (even if the bath was only for one).

Owning our own shop open 7 days a week 362 days a year we do not get away often so when we do, we like to be pampered! Sadly despite paying £90 per night plus an extra £5 per night for our golden retriever, Hyatt, we were completely disappointed in out stay. The reasons are not few but many…

-Firstly we were greeted by one of the owners who was frankly not very welcoming nor inviting. She barely spoke 5 words to us and after almost a 4 hour journey from Bournemouth this was not a great start.
But hey, we are quiet people and keep to ourselves.

- The next morning we brought our dog down for breakfast and we asked if we could sit in the bar area (not where everyone else was eating) with our dog to have breakfast. This was agreed upon although they seemed annoyed that was not where they had set up our table. During the meal I fed hyatt his breakfast on the floor with water (in his bowl) as well. And as dogs do, he did dribble a bit. When the lady (owner) came in I told her I would clean up after the dog of course. She did comment that he was “making quite a mess” and that if we did this tomorrow they would put down newspaper. Again I assured her I would clean up after him.

-Breakfast was pretty mediocre and although was suppose to be a full English there were no signs of baked beans or hash browns in site. My husband was still hungry when he finished his meal and I gave him some of mine to eat healthier... sadly for me the strawberries hadn’t been washed and there were small bugs on them to prove it… not quite the 4* experience we were paying for [to say the least.] There is a weatherspoons down the road you would get better food and value there!

-we left for the day and as we were leaving the maid asked if I wanted our room serviced. I said a hoover would be nice. (With dog bone bits and the three of us having gone to the beach combined with not the biggest of rooms… u can imagine it needed a hoover].

-When we returned from our lovely hike on the beaches and cliffs we were greeted by both owners who did their best to spoil the day…. I must explain here that our dog is an 8 month puppy who is still learning and curious and was curious about the tassles holding back the curtains… so my husband took them off and for whatever reason put them in his pocket. When we went out he realised this and we had a good laugh… Upon our return as soon as we walked through the front doors both owners came to us demanding to know where the tassles were. We explained and they did not laugh like we did… (By the way… we did have a credit card on file)… Then one of them said they think the dog has been on the bed and “Do not allow the dog on the bed”…. She also told me that the brown throw that was on top of the bed they took because it doesn’t always get washed and it was obvious the dog was on the bed… Now I must say this conversation was disturbing for several reasons:
1. I read the welcome folder in the room from cover to cover and there was no information in there nor was any information given to us about what the dog is and is not allowed to do. The dog had tried to get on our bed (it’s a new place) but we told him no… And is it not our home away from home? If we want the dog on the bed is that not OUR choice?!
2. The brown throw…. That is DISGUSTING that it is bedding NOT being WASHED after each new person uses the room! I am glad that they took because that is seriously gross.
3. We did not intentionally take the tassles and they would have been back there that evening, it seemed to be blown out of proportion…

And the story continues :(

So after the awkward exchange where we now DEFINITELY did not feel welcome. We went up to the room and we had no toilet paper and the room did not get hoovered. I went down stairs but no one was around to speak to so I left a note and said I felt like although our room had been inspected and yet it did not get serviced. And then took some toilet paper from the communal toilet for our room.

Later that evening we were both dressed up and about to go out. The two owners came to us again… I hadn’t even gotten down all the stairs (in my heels) and they said they had received our note and do not understand what I meant by saying the room had not been serviced. I explained how I asked the girl to hoover and they said that both of them had been in our room and there was a lot of stuff on the floor and they did not expect her to hoover around our stuff. I said there was a clear path and that was all I really needed but understand. They said she had made our bed and I said that I had made the bed that morning…. Their reply “well she made it better”…. OK thanks for that…. There was no sign of an apology or how can we make it better… my husband interrupted and said we were going to go out now…

The next morning after taking puppy for a morning run we were told he was not to come down to breakfast with us… An obvious attempt to be spiteful and lets just say NOT try to make up for the way we were treated.

It is such a shame because Perranporth is a LOVELY place to visit. This was our first time. We love the beach and hope to go back but we will DEFINITELY NOT be staying at St Georges Hotel! The Watering Hole is a restaurant on the beach where dogs are WELCOMED inside and out! The food is amazing and they even do a FULL HEARTY ENGLISH breakfast! Yum Yum! But the BEST is their ribs that just fall off the bone! And they do some nice Cornish mussels too!

We are looking for a luxury room in the area that does not just allow dogs but WELCOMES them! So any suggestions are welcome! Thanks!

Room Tip: Room is small and on the road which is loud but does have a jacuzzi bath for one in it.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank SaraJamieandHyatt
Ulrica H, Owner at St George's Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2017

hi Sara,

the hotel has since changed ownership. We apologise for the experience you had.

Reviewed October 30, 2011

I am just back from 3 nights at this lovely welcoming hotel.

My room and the public rooms were excellent.

I had dinner on 2 of the 3 nights, some of the best hotel food I have had in a long while. Just annoyed that I have forgotten thje ingredients Sharon uses in her homemade bread!

Sue and Sharon are perfect hosts, I will be returning again and would happily recommend the hotel to anyone who enjoys a relaxed and laid back stay away from home.

Room Tip: I only saw one room, mine, which was a double with love views as it was a corner room. I will be ask...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
stgeorgeCornwall, Owner at St George's Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2011

We are very happy that so many of our guests have enjoyed their stay with us. May we take this opportunity of thanking those of you who have taken the time and trouble to write about it. We look forward to seeing you all again very soon.

Reviewed October 25, 2011

My boyfriend and I came for the weekend and stayed for the week. We both live and work in London and spend a good deal of time staying in hotels on business and leisure. This is, without a doubt, our favourite escape and we are delighted to have discovered it. The hotel is beautifully decorated and perfectly appointed. Our room was wonderful - cosy and clean and filled with little luxuries - we even had our own ipod docking station! The gardens and views are stunning and the food is delicious. Breakfast is a veritable feast, complete with homemade preserves, homemade bread and homelaid eggs. Dinner is, if possible, even better. Try the Crab Linguine or the Tagine. In fact, try anything that comes out of the kitchen. Sue and Sharon are just delightful; fabulous company and very knowledgeable about the area. They can help you with anything from sewing on a button to sending you to the beach with the beach with the best surf. Stay here... you are going to love it!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 24, 2011

The room had a very odd smell of soapy damp washing. Breakfast was average. Didn't feel particularly welcome and didn't think the en-suite was overly clean either. Check around on different sites to try and get a cheaper room rate if you do stay here, more than £50 would be too much! You can't walk into town to get any food and if you drive, don't try the Italian by Wetherspoons! Didn't eat at the hotel as it seemed to be too much bother for them.

Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Cinderella-UK
stgeorgeCornwall, Owner at St George's Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2011

I am so sorry you did not enjoy your stay with usand that you found us unwelcoming. Our reputation, founded on the experience of many, is that nothing is too much trouble for us. We cook for our guests every evening and, despite your rather late check-in, you were also invited to dine with us. Our food is highly recommended and people rarely choose to eat elsewhere so why on earth would it be too much bother to serve another couple.

When you came down to the bar you were having difficulty logging on to your laptop so a family member helped you by allowing you to use his. As you were trying to find your next B&B on the internet I also gave you a book to help you with your choice. We chatted pleasantly and then I gave you all the options for eating in town, as you had decided not to eat in, one of the reasons being that we did not seve your favourite beer. I think most people would have called our behaviour helpful and considerate rather than unwelcoming.

I gather from your trip advisor profile that your next destination also received an unfavourable review and the restaurant you chose didn't come up to scratch either! What an unfortunate experience you had in Cornwall! I hope that, should you venture this way again, you will find at least one thing that pleases you.

Reviewed September 15, 2011

This hotel is a short walk (8-10mins) up hill from the beach area. It is well worth a visit. Our room was very comfortable with a lovely touch - a real cafetiere to enjoy a coffee on arrival. There is a very pleasant bar area, good comfy seat/sofas and there is also a separate lounge area if you want to relax during the day. Plenty of choice on the dinner menu. We enjoyed a lovely evening meal - it was nice to be in a small, quiet hotel. Service was great, very helpful and attentive. Breakfast too was most enjoyable, excellent homemade bread for toast. I would happily return for another visit. If you are walking the SW path, and don't want to miss out a short section, phone the owners and ask for the directions to the hotel from the path. If you continue a short distance along the path from Perranporth towards Portreath you can avoid walking up the road from town and simply cut through behind some cottages, returning the same way the following morning.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 12, 2011

stayed here for just one night over the august bank holiday weekend, and what a lovely relaxing place it is. After a long day of travelling down to cornwall it was nice to relax in a lovely room overlooking the countryside.A added bonus was that the owners served home made food in the evening which was absolutely fantastic, with a country style dining room and bar area it had a real homely welcoming feal to it, great stuff. Breakfast in the morning was a treat , everything was fresh and cooked to order, with chickens running free outside it was a real farmhouse feel to the place. The owners were very helpful and very friendly and i wouldnt hesitate in staying here again , a real home from home feel to the place.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DAVE2611
Reviewed September 6, 2011

Wonderful hosts, lovely food, friendly relaxed atmosphere in a beautiful location - and Mollie the Collie!! Who could ask for more?? Sue and Sharon - thank you both so much for making our stay at your home perfect. We will definately be back again!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Perranporth
Rose in Vale Country House Hotel
3 mi away
Beacon Country House Hotel
2 mi away
The Driftwood Spars B & B

Been to St George's Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!