“Great location, friendly atmosphere, good for families”
Review of The Watering Hole

The Watering Hole
Ranked #4 of 42 Restaurants in Perranporth
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed October 16, 2012

We took the boys rugby team to play at Perranporth and decided to spend the afternoon on the beach. We’ve been to the Watering Hole many times before but this was the biggest group we’ve ever taken. We had the lunch menu.

THE GOOD: Great location, great views, very friendly staff. The food service was quick and efficient. The food was fine. Fairly basic pub grub but that’s the kind of place it is, you don’t expect gourmet cuisine.

THE BAD: The only very minor niggle was that the bar service was a bit slow. There were a lot of locals sitting at the bar who seemed to get served before the non-locals who were queuing, but not a major issue. It gets very crowded in the summer but so does all of Cornwall.

THE UGLY: Nothing really

THE VERDICT: A great place to spend an afternoon watching the world go by.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,183)

Reviewed October 15, 2012

In Perranporth for a week of boarding and couldn't help noticing the Watering Hole as it is actually on the beach and in a perfect position.

During the first couple of days we just went for drinks after being on the beach all day but after noticing the quality of the food that other diners were ordering we decided to eat there one evening.

To give you an idea of what to expect, as mentioned, this place is actually on the beach and sometimes at high tide the sea actually covers the little bridge that you have to cross to get to it which means that you have to wade ankle deep through about five foot of water but this adds to the experience and was something the kids loved. Because of its location it does get its fair share of wind and sand, some of which makes its way indoors but this just adds to its charm.

You have the choice of sitting outside, outside undercover, inside by the panoramic windows or further back in the restaurant itself.

We decided to sit just inside of the big windows which gave us a great view of the sea crashing onto the beach but meant that we were nice and warm too!

Food wise there are only two words to describe it: huge & quality. I went for the Nacho's which on the menu is classed as a filler and how true the description was! A dinner plate sized bowl piled high with tortillas then covered with melted cheese, olives, guacamole, salsa and sour cream. I have a healthy appetite but even I was taken aback by the scale of the dish. Undeterred, I dug in and enjoyed a half hour of some of the best nacho's Ive eaten.

My partners salad was equally large and good quality as were the children's meals. If your hungry after a beach day then The Watering Hole will be just the ticket.

A couple of mornings we also went and had the breakfasts. Following on from the quality of the evening meals the full English breakfasts are just as impressive. Be warned, the small breakfast is a monster so I'd dread to think how big the large would be! Sitting in the sun, watching the sea, eating quality food and drinking tea is a perfect start to a full on day.

If you enjoy good food, good portions, great atmosphere and great location then you have to visit The Watering Hole.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

We visited The Watering Hole a few times on our week's holiday in Perranporth - it has an amazing location right on the beach. Quite a luxury to sit outside, drinking wine, with the sand between your toes in Britain. Sunday carvery was a bargain at £8.95 - help yourself to veg and got plenty of roast meat to go with it. Drinks not the cheapest but worth it for the setting.

Reviewed September 26, 2012

My family and I stopped in here for some fish and chips one lunchtime. We found it expensive, waited ages for our food (when we were one of 3 tables) and when it arrived my fish was not cooked (mushy and watery).

When I complained the chef had passed a message back that this is because of the type of fish oblivious to the fact my wife had the same and hers was fine. Mine had arrived late so it was obviously rushed. When I informed the waitress I was a chef myself and know how to batter fish I quickly got a refund and an apology.

In general the bar is dark and dirty and over priced for the quality of fare on offer.

1  Thank Dai D
Reviewed September 25, 2012

We ate at the Watering Hole in Perranporth on a wonderfully hot day in August, and watched the red sun go down over the horizon of the sea.