“Downhill in Perranporth”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed January 4, 2013

AT one time the Del Mar (in the car park now shared with Wetherspoons which used to be the Green Parrot) used to be a really good place to eat. Never the cheapest place to eat in the village but used to be good quality food so worth the extra. How things go downhill! A group of us went for a Christmas Eve meal, one could count on one hand the other tables in use, and it became obvious why. From what used to be top ingredients being used in their menu, these seem to have been replaced with supermarket style products, lacking in flavour and appearance. If the food was inadequate, the entertainment was even worse. We will certainly not be returning.

1  Thank Ken W

Reviewed December 26, 2012

As a small Italian in the shadow of a large chain pub, I didn't want to set my hopes too high, but I was genuinely blown away.

Having now visited multiple times on various holidays to the area, I can say that they are also consistent.

The menu is extremely varied, with the specials constantly being updated. Custom dishes are available if you chat with the chef.

The restaurant is always buzzing and busy.

My pick of the dishes has to be the Parma ham wrapped scallops (starters). They were cooked to perfection. The seafood there always seems to be fresh and local.

The non seafood options are also extremely good.

Pricing is slightly more than others in the area, but in my opinion, well worth it.

Don't be fooled by the restaurants exterior, to echo another review, it is an absolute hidden gem.

2  Thank Adam W
Reviewed December 12, 2012

This restaurant is hidden in the car park of the Green Parrot. The food is absolutely outstanding and the service impeccable.

2  Thank CazGlos
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Amazing! One of the best dining experiences I've had in one hell of a long time. To put it simply, here are the things that make this restaurant worth returning to:

1) Attentive and friendly employees: it's a family-run establishment and aside from just dealing with a friendly waiter, the owners came by to each table (including ours, of course) and made us all feel at home. They want you to feel happy. If there's a problem, you can bet they'll resolve it.

2) Great Menu, full of options to choose from. I had Calamari Friti as a starter & Fillet del Mar for Main course, It troully was to die for, the flavours and presentation are well worth the the price.

3) Location: Is located by the entrance of Perranporth with free car park, and 50 meters away from the beach. ( what more can u ask for)

4) They do get busy, so get there early.

I'll be back. Thank you,, for your hospitality and your great food.

5 stars all the way

3  Thank travellerspaniard
Reviewed October 24, 2012

My partner and I found this hidden treasure on a Saturday night whilst we were away in Cornwall for the weekend. We absolutely loved it! The food was delicious and worth every penny! We would definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone, we even gave their card to the hotel we were staying in and told them to use it as a recommendation. If we lived closer we would definitely return.