“Noisy Chef couldn't cook steak.. otherwise brilliant!”

Griff's Grill and Restaurant
Ranked #16 of 41 Restaurants in Perranporth
Cuisines: British
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Dining on a budget, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Brunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Cornwall
“Noisy Chef couldn't cook steak.. otherwise brilliant!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

Came here a while back, ordered Fillet or Serloin steak, can't remember which, but looked like it had been pan fried or something.. it was grey and although I ordered it Medium, it ranged between blue and well done depending on which part it was as it was an uneven thickness. Quite funny really but not very well done. Chef was also noisey and swearing at times. Otherwise it's a really nice place with great staff.

Rest of the meal and desert was lgreat! Just get a good Chef! :)

• Visited July 2012

“food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

the food was quite pricy for what you got and the restaurant is cramped staff were more in a hurry to get you fed and out!
and when you want a steak medium rare and it comes back very well done it doesnt leave a great impression

Visited May 2012
uk
“I love food and have eaten everywhere but Griff's was honestly THE worst”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

Before we go on, I must set it straight that I enjoy food and enjoy seeking out the more unusual places to eat that may be off the beaten track or that have only been recommended by word of mouth so as you can imagine, I have eaten all sorts of cuisines in all manner of premises both good and bad.

We went to Perranporth for a week of boarding and was pleasantly surprised with the town and what it had to offer.

We always look to Tripadvisor for recommendations of where to go and where to eat and with Griff's ranking at number 2 we thought that we'd give it a go.

On walking in it is a fairly nondescript cafe looking establishment with basic seating and tables.

The menu is very British but fancying something spicy I opted for the chilli, my partner went for good old scampi and chips and the children chose burger and chips and fish and chips.

When I say that I never seen such a depressing looking meal being served I mean it. My chilli was watery, served on overcooked rice and accompanied by three value tortillas that were soft. On tasting my meal I found that the so called chilli was in fact a very thin bolognese like sauce that barely had two grains of salt in it let alone any spices. It was truly disgusting.

I called the waitress over to ask whether I could have some chilli sauce to try to make my chilli a chilli but was met with a vacant stare, a pause of around fifteen seconds then the response that if I wanted chilli sauce then I should have called ahead to pre order it? All I could do was grin.

Unfortunately, the rest of the family faired just as badly. My partners scampi and chips looked like they had been fried the night before and then reheated. All of the chips where hard, tasteless and unappetizing. My sons burger was a burger on a very dry bun, no sauce or anything else and my daughters fish again looked like it was from a supermarkets value range and had been cooked a long time ago. all of the food was served with a wilted salad on each plate comprising of damp lettuce and some onion.

As we had been on the beach all day, were tired, hungry and doubted whether we would be listened to after the chilli sauce incident we gritted our teeth and ate.

It truly was the most depressing and unappetizing meal that I have ever eaten.

I really cannot understand the other positive reviews on this site? One meal could be bad but four separate meals all equally as poor?

There are other restaurants that we ate at numerous times whilst in Perranporth that whilst not rated as highly on here, were way, way better.

Honest opinion. If you enjoy food avoid Griff's

• Visited September 2012
4 Thank deuk
Mansfield
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“not bad”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

Went for a meal here as we were looking for a steak night. wasn't too bad. had better for the price.

Visited September 2012
Perranporth, England, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Will not be revisiting...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

Despite being a local, I had never before visited the restaurant until yesterday. When we arrived, we had barely sat down before a young lady approached us asking if we wanted drinks. This was unappreciated - we had not even picked up a menu.
When we did order drinks (a tap water and an orange juice), the waitress looked at us as if she was confused, despite it hardly being a confusing order.
The speed at which the food came out to us was impressive, and at first the food looked nice, although when we began to eat we realised that the food was actually sub-standard.
My partner had a simple burger, served with chips and salad. To have cheese in the burger was a whole 70p more, and yet to our surprise he was provided with a single slice of cheap, plastic cheese (the kind that you can buy in individual plastic wraps). Hardly worth 70p. The salad was limp, and the chips were mushy.
As for my meal... I had the chicken New Yorker (chicken topped with bacon and cheese), served with chips, salad and peas. The chicken was dry and tasteless, the bacon was fatty, the chips were cold and mushy, the peas had the consistency of a sort of paste (hideously overcooked), and the salad was boring and limp.
Neither of us finished our meals, and we were put off ordering dessert.
The whole thing cost £19.
In contrast to other reviews, we appreciate that this may have been a one-off, but we don't see this as the romantic evening meal we had hoped for.

• Visited September 2012