“A proper free-house”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Trewellard Arms

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pendeen
Trewellard Arms
Ranked #1 of 5 Pendeen B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“A proper free-house”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

After two weeks travelling around Penwith I finally found a proper free house. Sadly, it was on my last day. I was beginning to think that almost every pub between Mousehole and Pendeen was St Austell Brewery owned or managed, so I was delighted to stumble across the Trewellard Arms whilst walking back from Pendeen to St Just. What's more, I got a fantastically friendly welcome both from the staff and the handfull of locals that were there on a dreary mid-week afternoon in December. I was quickly drawn-into a lively and good-humoured conversation, and ended-up staying much longer than I had planned, thanks to the good company and good beer on offer.

There is a large main bar with a long bar (so plenty of space to sit/stand at the bar and chat), plus a good number of tables & chairs. There are a couple of separate dining areas, and some nice outside seating (though this is by the car park). The decor is fairly typical for this part of Cornwall - nothing special, but reasonably cosy. The only thing that's missing is an open fire.

I didn't eat here, so can't comment on the food, but the selection of real ales is good - at least three constantly changing beers on offer (I had a very nice Launceston Brewery Christmas special). This is an excellent pub that seems to be well geared-up to catering for both locals and visitors alike. I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Highrise61

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Penzance, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

The portions here were always huge, great food and good value for money. Unfortunately after a first visit in a few weeks we left disappointed - portion was half of what it was, the price had gone up, and the food seemed lower quality. Will give it a miss until I here that quality has improved.

• Stayed January 2013
Leighton Buzzard, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

This is a review of the pub and food, not the accommodation as we live nearby. We have eaten at the Trewellard Arms several times and can recommend with a few minor reservations only. The beer is good, the food is very good indeed, fresh, well cooked, great ingredients and the portions are absolutely huge. If you have a starter as well, make sure you are REALLY hungry! If you want a quiet meal in a romantic setting though I would go elsewhere- here you will be cheek to cheek with locals who can get pretty rowdy- be prepared to join in and talk to people or choose somewhere else to go. We love it (we took kids and grandparents) but some might not. We have had friends who have been less than happy with the service but we have always found it fine if a little understaffed when busy.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Wendy B
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

We have just returned from a week in Cornwall staying in the village of Trewellard. We visited the Trewellard Arms on our second night. We were not expecting very much from the initial appearance of the external appearance to the Pub. There is a reasonable seating area outside but it is in the car park. Things improved on entering the bar area which is very traditional with plenty of tables for bar meals. It was busy at 6pm with lots of locals. It had a friendly atmosphere and the bar staff were welcoming and pleasant. They are dog friendly, with bowls of water provided for your pooch. So now to the food – I was expecting functional pub grub. Now that’s there in the form of fish & chips, chilli etc but there is a lot more to choose. I had chicken, wrapped on bacon and cooked in a port, honey and tarragon sauce which was delightful. It came with loads of fresh veg and new potatoes. I could have had chips or salad if I wanted to. My husband had the fresh sole, again superbly cooked and presented in funky triangular dishes. The bill came to £40 and this included a couple of pints, a soft drink and a dessert. Excellent value for money on what we had. We returned to the pub on a further two occasions in the week and had excellent food on both occasions. The only downside that we found, and not until the last occasion we visited, was the toilets. They were in dire need of renovation and a good clean. The walk way to the toilets was disgusting as the carpet was so dirty that it was sticky to walk on. This is such a shame because having had three great meals. I immediately started to wonder what state the kitchens were in!
We didnt stay in the Hotel so cant comment on the rooms
Great food but clean the toilets please.

Room Tip: Eat in the bar area
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

I have just returned from a fantastic week in Cornwall staying in a tiny village called Carnyorth, One evening I decided to wander round to the Trewellard Arms having driven past it the previous day. On arrival I made a quick note of the draft goods; 3 ciders, some lagers and a nice range of hand pulls including one very popular one named The Reverrend. There is also an extensive menu for whisky.I didnt eat at the pub however I noted the menu and it was very varied with local fish, meats etc and was all very well priced compared to some pubs nearby. I did however witness a cream tea which looked delicious, and although the time for serving these had passed the landlord Martin duly obliged a customer and whipped her one up. There is plenty of room in the pub; bar, 2 dining areas and a smugglers cellar area at below ground. There was also a large outside area. Dogs were most definately welcome!!!!!! I only intended to have a couple of beers, however it wasnt far off eleven by the time I left having been made very welcome by both landlords and locals alike - a very entertaining evening!! When going away I try and make a point of having an evening sampling local atmosphere and I have to say this is one of the best yet. I will most definately be going back when I visit Cornwall in the future

Room Tip: didnt stay over
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2012

A warm welcome, good efficient service in the bar/restaurant and a meal of both quality and quantity.

If you have a small appetite don't have a starter as the main course will beat many a diner.

The quality of the meal was not affected by the quantity - We had dinner in the Trewellard Arms on two evenings and the food was delicious.

Didn't stay in the hotel so cannot comment on this side of their business.

Well done Trewellard.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank r_smith640
calne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2012

In the evening upon our arrival in Trewellard for a week's holiday, we enjoyed a great Cornish welcome at this very local Inn. Staying in the holiday cottage across the road (opposite the car park) we fancied somewhere not too far away from holiday HQ as we had earlier drove for four hours and were in need of food and beer.

And so we ordered 2 char grilled rump steaks - cooked perfectly with a luxurious peppercorn sauce ( with brandy we somewhat fancy ). Also had salad and chips ( which were under done, sadly ).

For naughty dessert 2 exotic "fruit at the front" (private joke lol) pavlova's were devoured and all washed done by chardonnay and Guinness (wife and husband's choice respectively).

The service was excellent and the landlord was a very jolly fellow.

Overall marks out of ten: eight. Didnt stay so cannot comment on rooms and chips with 5 more minutes in the fryer would have made it a nine !

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank redspookhunter
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pendeen
Old Success Inn
#1 of 8 in St Just
Wintara B&B
Wintara B&B
#1 of 1 in Botallack

Been to Trewellard Arms? Share your experiences!