“Nice hotel, terrible food.”
Review of The Royal Inn

The Royal Inn
Ranked #2 of 16 Par B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

Just got back from this hotel, and read the reviews after having been to see it for myself.
The hotel was clean and good value for the money, the staff were friendly, nice pleasant, helpful people. I booked a family room, for which I expected both a double and single bed, I got two queen's pushed together with a sheet thrown over them as a disguise and a pull out matress.
The main gripe I have other than the fact that the heating was on in the room constantly was the simply terrible breakfast. I was on holiday so tried the Full English Breakfast. (By full I take it to mean full fat.)
It came with fatty smoked streaky bacon, a rubber sausage, mushrooms swimming in butter, beans, an egg, hash brown and coffee that was always cold.
Don't know where some of these reviewers stayed but it wasn't in my room I can assure you.
The acid test for me is always would I go back?
Not a chance.

• Stayed: August 2013

Reviewed August 14, 2013

Because my grandchildren were caravanning near St Austell we decided at the last minute to join them in a local hostelry.
Our late booking proved to be !st class .Excellent room -good food -welcoming hosts --and a great place for trains ,buses and of course cars.

Room Tip: Our room no1 was on the ground floor opposite the car park No view but perfect for us. Rooms upsta...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Booked for a short break on 2 nights in Cornwall to visit the Eden Project. Overall I was pleased with the hotel, most things were clean and tidy and the room had everything we needed. Air conditioning would have been good given the 30 degree heat, but you get what you pay for and the portable fan kept us comfortable.

Couple of niggles that were really not major but would have helped push the rating to a 5. Room safe did not work - mentioned this to one of the staff but no help forthcoming. Also had a very small roof terrace next to the room which I assume is for smokers - given that their cigarette butts were still there.

Back on the positive, the wi-fi worked great with no dropouts or lack of signal. Breakfast was good; nothing fancy but more than adequate for a solid start to the day. We did use the restaurant one evening and it was fine. Menu not extensive but met our needs after a long drive.

Would certainly return here for a good value break in clean and tidy accommodation.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CoDorset
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I stayed at the Royal In for two nights 12/13 July 2013 with my wife and found it to be very much more than expected. I had read the reviews on Tripadvisor so was expecting high standards _ and I found very high standards. Upon arriving at this ideallic location, the exterior was just as shown on it's website, the welcome was amongst the best received to date, the staff were extremely polite, courteous and very friendly. Our room was enormous, clean and spotless. Fan, safe, tea and coffee facility and the bathroom was faultless, very clean and the overnight accessories that you would normally find in a five star hotel. On our first night we ate at the in house restaurant and returned the following night. The food was of excellent quality, exceeding it's four star rating, delivered to your table still piping hot. The portions were very very generous - I can eat for England and when I go out for a meal, I normally get home hungry - NOT THE CASE HERE - the portions filled me to the brim, EXCELLENT. BREAKFAST - cereals, tea/coffee, fruit juices, fresh fruit and a choice of cooked breakfasts - I had the traditional English breakfast, cannot fault it, generous, filling portins, still piping hot when brought to you.
Our overall experience was FAULTLESS and it exceeded the high expectatins we had.
We would recommend the Royal Inn very strongly, if in the vicinity again, the only plce for me is the Royal Inn. Places like this a very hard to find and need to be encouraged. A VERY WELL DONE to all the team at the Royal Inn, Par

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Just spent the last 4 nights at The Royal. Really can't fault it ,the staff were friendly and obliging,the food excellent and the room very,very good. I thought it was very good value,I've paid a lot more for less.Took the train to Truro and Falmouth,Par station very close by.
JG. Burntwood Staffs

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Gritzz
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Everyone was friendly and the room nice. A few (very minor) issues on housekeeping, but not enough to warrant any sort of complaint. Food in both the restaurant and the bistro was excellent. "Best curry I have ever had" from other half.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Location is right by the train station if we had chosen to go by rail. No noise noticeable in the hotel though.
We stayed in a room which had a small balcony near the front of the hotel, tea making facilities in the room and the breakfast which was included was lovely.
Stayed here with my husband for a wedding and only wished that it was for more than one night.
The staff were very friendly and arranged for taxis for the group that was staying there.
A great price and we would not hesitate to recommend it to any one who is wondering where to stay.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Par
The White Hart
The Cornwall Hotel, Spa & Estate
The Fowey Hotel
The Fowey Hotel
#3 of 3 in Fowey

Been to The Royal Inn? Share your experiences!