“does what it says on the tin”
Review of The Royal Inn

The Royal Inn
Ranked #2 of 17 Par B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“does what it says on the tin”
Reviewed March 4, 2012

Nothing to rave about or complain about. Freindly Staff clean [maybe over furnished]room and bathroom, enjoyed a good nights sleep in a comfortable bed, had a good breakfast selection well cooked.
Hotel/pub is right opposite Par station but no noise problems.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Exmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 12, 2011

We stayed at this establishment for one night to attend a family members 90th Birthday party as we had travelled quite a distance. We were absolutely taken back by the quality of the room we were allocated. Everything you needed was provided in the room for a pleasant stay with a good breakfast included. Our room was overlooking the car park to the side so not a great view though we weren't in the room much anyway so was not an issue. Rooms to the front of the Inn have better views. The room was very clean and tidy and very spacious. The party was in a large room at the back of the Inn just off the bar with plenty of seating and a good buffet was provided. Ther price was very reasonable. Par itself is in the middle of nowhere and is a typical cornish rural area near The Eden Project (approx 4 miles) and only a short walk to Par railway station. Would stay again and recommend.

Room Tip: Any of the 18 rooms are all well equipped though better views from the front of the Inn
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Coventry, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 31, 2011

First of all I would like to say that this is my personal review and what I find excellent other people might not. Also if I dont like something it doesn't matter you won't so please bear that in mind.

All in all I had a wonderful stay. I went there in March to celebrate my birthday with my partner. The price was incredible, as far as I remember it was L120 for 3 nights which was outstanding compared with other places I checked.
When we arrived the first thing I noticed was the fact that everything looked so posh and expensive. Marble floors, everything nice and clean. The room was spacious extremely clean and so so beautiful. There also was a kettele and a few of the free goodies such as tea, coffee, hot chocolate, biscuits etc. We were getting a new ones as soon as we used something. There was a TV as well.
We had a little terrace with a table so, weather permitting, you can sit outside and enjoy the day.
I didn't go to the bar which was downstairs so I can't comment on that. I would like to say however that some of the rooms are above the bar. When I read it on the hotel's website I was a bit worried I wouldn't be able to sleep at night. BUT it couldn't be more quiet.

Very close to the hotel you have the most amazing beach I've seen in Cornwall. Very long and wide so make sure you check it out.

I really really enjoyed myself and I would love to come back there some day. If you're looking for a pleasant place to stay where you can get a good night sleep and relax this is a place for you.
Thank you.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
bournemouth UK
Reviewed October 6, 2011

The royal inn,warm and friendly welcome from Mandy,Vince and their team of staff .Good sized well furnished rooms and beds pretty comfortable,free parking, fantastic food ,great selection of beers and wines.The only negative was PAR itself,very little to do apart from beach walking.But as a base to discover Cornwall, go on book a room !!

Room Tip: book a premier room as much bigger ,no6 is a good one.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank wedge012
Essex
Reviewed October 2, 2011

My partner and I stayed here while I was on business in Cornwall. After waiting some time for the solo barman to provide us with room keys we were horrified to discover the room awash with bluebottles. My partner killed over 60 before we gave up, went back down to the bar and informed said barman of the problem. His answer "are you sure they're not coming through the window", when informed they were not, he accompanied us back to the room and had little chose but to agree there was a problem. He stated he was not sure if he could find us alternative accommodation as the hotel was fully booked but he would see what he could do. He did find another room (which given the late hour we felt we had little choice but accept). The new room was fine, clean with a small fenced in terrace. Later while in the bar we overheard him telling, who we assumed was the manager, about the bluebottles. They both disappeared upstairs, on their return no apology was recevied and no comment made. We chose to eat in the pub as Par is a very small predominantly residential town with little choice of eating places. The food was excellent, very large portions and good service, we would definatly eat there again if passing. Next morning over breakfast I overheard another guest commenting that he had a terrible night sleep due to being constantly 'divebombed' by flies. Given that management were clearly aware of the the problem it was really not acceptable to place a guest in a room which was frankly not fit to be inhabited. Frankly if an alternative room had not been provided I would have reported the establishment to environmental health. Never again!!

Room Tip: Don't go anywhere near room 9 until you have been assured they have fumigated.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
nuneaton
Reviewed September 26, 2011

We stayed for 0ne night only after going to the Eden project . A lovely hotel and our rooms were on the ground floor ,they were lovely . this suited us as our friends had trouble walking far . We stayed in the hotel restaurant for a meal booked at 7pm and finally finished at 9.45pm which could have been sooner but i got the impression that the customers off of the street were served first . in all the meals were very good and tasty The facilities in the room were exceptional and i would recommend anyone to stop there . Noise was not a problem for us ,we didn't hear anyone .A great place to stay .

Room Tip: ground floor rooms are lovely
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 25, 2011

This hotel has it all, friendly staff, comfortable rooms with great beds and fantastic food. The hotel is close to the railway station so for those who do not want to drive see Cornwall by train. The situation of the Royal is ideal for The Eden Project and Fowey plus The Lost Gardens of Heligan. A great place to stay.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front are sunny and quieter.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Par
Travelodge St Austell Hotel
The Carlyon Bay
The Carlyon Bay
#1 of 9 in St Austell
The Old Quay House Hotel

Been to The Royal Inn? Share your experiences!