“Style over substance”
Review of Sam's On The Beach

Sam's On The Beach
Ranked #1 of 26 Restaurants in Par
Good for: Romantic, Scenic view, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: 25 years of Sams in Fowey has now enabled us to bring all our experience, fun, ambience, staff and fantastic locally sourced produce to create something truly unique in the old Fowey Lifeboat House here on the waters edge overlooking the bay.3 Ingredients that a successful restaurant needs are "Good Staff, Good Food, Good Ambience" and Sams on the Beach has all 3 in abundance!Enjoy!And the views not that bad too!Sam Sixton
Reviewed June 8, 2012

Soft shell crab to start. £7 for one tiny crab which was nothing special. had the pork belly which was tender enough but v little seasoning. leeks and bacon cooked in so much butter that it was all over the plate. mash seemed like it had been left sitting a while. my wife had lobster which was all shell and no meat. pudding more successful but again nothing special. we will not be going back. amazing location and view but some of the worst cooking we have experienced.

1  Thank spikeynor
There are newer reviews for Sam's On The Beach

Reviewed June 7, 2012

Everything about the meal was great. The service was impeccable, the food was delicious, the atmosphere and view is gorgeous! Really do recommend it!!

Reviewed June 7, 2012

Great experience, right on the beach. Service always speedy and cheerful. Food is delicious and fresh. Wonderful for all ages!

Reviewed June 5, 2012

Fantastic location - book a table near the glass wall at the back and you'll have a perfect view of the beach. Or grab a table outside if the weather is nice. Had a lovely meal, fantastic selection of really fresh seafood and plenty of options if you don't like fish (including delicious freshly made pizzas)

Only downside is there is only one toilet which people seem to come off the beach to use but the positives more than make up for this!

Reviewed May 17, 2012

I've visited Cornwall around 60 times on holidays over the past 50 years and thought I had seen all of it by now. But I'd never been to Polkerris before and it was Sams menu on their web site that made me visit. So close to the Eden Project, but you have to go out of your way to find it.

If you don't love seafood this probably is not the restaurant for you. But, if like my family, and me you love seafood, you will be in heaven. I had the Mediterranean Mixed Basque, and others in my party had the Seafood Platter and the Sea Bass.

The huge bowls of seafood looked spectacular and tasted fantastic. They provided a huge bowl for the waste (shells) – obvious, but so many restaurants don’t think to do this simple thing and you end up making mess as you try to find the full mussels etc., amongst the empty shells.

The seafood was perfectly cooked and we all enjoyed our meals.

If I had to criticise, they could have been a bit more generous with the Forcaccia bread. My Basque had a lovely flavour, and I could have happily used a whole loaf, mopping up every last drop of it.

And for such great food, very reasonable prices.

Oh, and not forgetting the setting - what a great view, you really are "on the beach" in the old lifeboat building.

1  Thank KevinLeah